PDA

View Full Version : Really Badly Need Opinion!

400exrider989
02-25-2007, 11:03 AM
ok so i well get right t it
i ride trails with hardly any mud
so im stuck on what to get
07 400ex
07 Banshee

i like the 400ex for its reputation of reliability but i hear the a stock Banshee is pretty reliable to
this well be my first manual quad

well im goingt throw in a couple of questions about the banshee too

1. whats there weekest point like what is the worst part on them or what should i look out for if i get one?
2. whats the stock gearing for a Banshee?
3. would the Banshee be better if i drop a tooth on the front sprocket
4. what oil should i run if i get one (can you use synthetic)
i know i should let the rings seal, how many oil changes or hours before i can switch to syn, if i can in the banshee
5. how often do you need to rebuild the motor (stock) (of corse maintaning it 100% persent)

im kinda leaning towards the banshee because its 1000 dollars cheaper than the 400ex
so my last question
for me is the banshee worth it i love 2-stroke but is the maintnence too much

anyways tanks for the help

CRich[814]
02-25-2007, 11:11 AM
well im goingt throw in a couple of questions about the banshee too

1. whats there weekest point like what is the worst part on them or what should i look out for if i get one?

there restricted alot. pipe/filter/jet is the best thing you can do for them.

no idea.

if be better means more torque, yes. it would have a lot better low end, less top speed though.

i know i should let the rings seal, how many oil changes or hours before i can switch to syn, if i can in the banshee

premix, i use klotz (smells great) for tranni, i use bel ray gear saver, i hear its the best stuff to use.

5. how often do you need to rebuild the motor (stock) (of corse maintaning it 100% persent)

depends on how often you ride and how hard you ride. no one can tell you that but you. your suppose to rebuild when you lose 10-15% of compression from a fresh top end rebuild.

im kinda leaning towards the banshee because its 1000 dollars cheaper than the 400ex

400ex would deffinitly be more trail/xc friendly and less cost to maintain.

so my last question
for me is the banshee worth it i love 2-stroke but is the maintnence too much

as long as you can maintain it, id go for it, but i ride gravel pits/fields/jumps/anything else we can. not only tight trails.

honda4life72
02-25-2007, 11:12 AM
i don't think they make 07 banshees? i though they quiet in 06?

CRich[814]
02-25-2007, 11:14 AM
they still make them. you just cant buy them in america. he might be buying a leftover.

400exrider989
02-25-2007, 11:21 AM
i live in canada so there still makng the 07 and theres going to be an 08

i dont ride that hard really sometimes its just a 2 hour fide up a gravel rode and down it

well thanks for the help

HB416EX
02-25-2007, 12:03 PM
I think you shoud be looking at a 450 instead of a 400EX.The Banshee is a fun bike to ride but if I was you I'd get a 450.

firefighterjosh
02-25-2007, 11:39 PM
I hate the chain adjustment, feel heavy, wear you out fast, Don't handel worth a poo compared to the new technology but still very ridable

I dunno

I prefer stock. If you drop a tooth you are just going to have to shift even faster then you already are.

MiX Yamalube 2R 32:1 with gas. I use 80wt Maxima in my tranny. but 20w 40 Yamalube would work just fine.

I say 3 - 5 years depending on how well kept it was.

so my last question
for me is the banshee worth it i love 2-stroke but is the maintnence too much.

Matinece is the same as a 400. You just have a few extra steps. I would say go with your 400. Sounds like it would fit you better. then maybe in the future keep the 400 and buy a banshee as a 2nd toy.

mephyst
02-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Get the 400 or get a 450. Banshee suspension is terrible... and the 400 would be so much easier to ride. Unless you plan on drag racing/dune riding don't get a banshee...

Regular_Joe
02-26-2007, 07:09 AM
I have both. IMO the Banshee is something you take out for 1/2 hr and go balls out. Then you get out the 400ex and ride the trails doing wheelies here and there for hours. To me the Banshee is a novelty. Fun for a bit but nothing I'd wanna ride all the time.

As for the maintenance. The Banshee gets far more work. **** is always rattling loose etc. The 400ex I just get on and ride.

For the handling and general riding. The Banshee is a straight line screamer. The 400ex is good all around. Its like comparing the ride between a 4x4 truck and a Cadillac. The ride on the 400ex is just so much nicer.

STEVENJANNA
02-26-2007, 09:21 AM
You'd be happier with the 400. I've had both and the 400 is the most trail friendly, it takes so much less effort to overcome obstacles. Also with the 07' you'll have reverse which you won't get on the 450r. IMO the 400 is a bullet proof trail machine than can be tailored to your growth as a rider with an unending amount of aftermarket products available.

NPelletier
02-26-2007, 09:25 AM
get the banshee, come down to NH......................and give it to me:D ide say get a 400 becus theyre better for your riding and their less maintence, and if you dont ride hard, a 400ex can be riden really really hard, or taken easy on, banshee is made to ride hard, and thats what its going to want to do:devil:

krt400ex
02-26-2007, 09:26 AM
honestly, i love my 400ex, but i would buy that banshee if you are doing more open trails and feilds.

they are easy to maintain, and the only 2 major weaknesses i can think of is that it will overheat if you do alot of slooow riding, and that the stock suspension pretty much sucks. both can be fixed with the aftermarket though

02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
get a 07 banshee!! the stock gearing is 14/41 and pipes, filter, rejet can add up to 15 hp :D 2 strokes are easy to get HP out of like that....and yes banshees a very relieable

400EXTRA
02-26-2007, 01:50 PM
GET THE 400EX NEVER BUY A YAMAHA

Robin Hood
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 400EXTRA

Oh god.. Here it goes again.. :rolleyes:

Robin Hood
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 400EXTRA

Oh god.. Here it goes again.. :rolleyes:

LTZ400rider
02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider989
i live in canada so there still makng the 07 and theres going to be an 08

i dont ride that hard really sometimes its just a 2 hour fide up a gravel rode and down it

well thanks for the help

if ur riding mostly gravel roads, banshee is the best choice by far, any quad out there. nothing is funner on open fire roads and gravel roads with a banshee wfo with the pipes screamin

krt400ex
02-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
if ur riding mostly gravel roads, banshee is the best choice by far, any quad out there. nothing is funner on open fire roads and gravel roads with a banshee wfo with the pipes screamin

i think it is more funner to ride in the trails :p

400eXr1d3rZ
02-26-2007, 03:19 PM
The tires on a Banshee are just horrible. The suspension is horrible. Nothing a bit of modding could take care of, just remember...power comes last. The banshee has enough power stock, focus on suspension first.

400exrider989
02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
thanks guys so much
im still leaning on the banshee though because im 14 and i would love to have more of a work out
i love working on things also like just keeping things perfect
the banshee well be stock for a while but i well probably get some holeshot hds for the back right away
the trails i go through are kinda tight you can do 20kmh easily and then most open up to fields
most mud is just water on packed dirt and im not worried about torque because im only 140

krt400ex
02-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider989
thanks guys so much
im still leaning on the banshee though because im 14 and i would love to have more of a work out
i love working on things also like just keeping things perfect
the banshee well be stock for a while but i well probably get some holeshot hds for the back right away
the trails i go through are kinda tight you can do 20kmh easily and then most open up to fields
most mud is just water on packed dirt and im not worried about torque because im only 140

i would get the razrs for the back. cheaper, and longer lasting...and they hook up as well if not better than the hd's