PDA

View Full Version : TRX350 Fourtrax 4x4 Electrical Mystery

dieselpower1973
02-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I have a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 4x4 that I have always kick-started. I'm getting ready to sell it, so I bought a new battery for it. When I hooked up the fully-charged battery and turned the key, my Neutral Light worked and pushing the Starter Button resulted in the Starter Solenoid making the proper "click" sound (this is when I discovered that the Starter needed brushes). Just as I pushed the Starter Button for the fourth time (this is all before the Starter rebuild), I heard the Solenoid click and then everything went dead...not even a neutral light...I think there was a really quiet click sound when everything went dead (and I think it came from the back of the quad). However, I can still kick start the quad like I've always done and then I have my neutral light, headlights, and taillights...so it's just something to do with the battery side of things.

Since then I have done the following:

1) Checked all fuses...they all checked good (visually and with a multi-meter)

2) Had the Solenoid checked by the local Honda mechanic...it checked good (he suggested a loose/corroded connection somewhere on the old beast may have arced and then lost conductivity)

I have good voltage from the Battery...12.75 volts on my digital meter. I don't see any obvious damage or loose connections, just a little corrosion on the Negative Cable. The Negative Cable disappears into a 2" x 3" black junction box under the right rear fender...what's the box for? The phillips screws for the cover are rusty/mud-caked and I haven't been able to get them out yet.

I also have no idea what the two very small wires coming off the Starter Solenoid are for...anyone know???

If you would like to look at a schematic, go to BikeBandit.com and look under Honda-->1986-->Fourtrax 4x4-->Wiring Harness

Any help is appreciated...and thanks in advance.

dieselpower1973
02-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Since the Negative Lead from the Battery looks pretty bad (mouse ate some of the insulation and the stranded copper wire is severely tarnished) I decided to use a jumper cable to get around it.

I connected a jumper cable from the Negative Post on the Battery over to the kickstart lever (which I thought would be a good ground). As soon as I turned the Ignition Key, I had Dash Lights, Headlights, and the Electric Starter works!

Now I know that the problem is a Bad Ground coming from the Negative Post on the Battery. Probably the severely tarnished/mouse eaten Negative Lead. Could also be a bad connection inside the Junction Box beneath the right rear fender. I will keep everyone posted.

dieselpower1973
02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Negative Cable definitely needs replaced...is this possible without replacing the whole wiring harness???

Also, the junction box under the right rear fender contains the Fuel Pump Control Module. It's not the ground wire junction box that I had hoped it would be...