PDA

View Full Version : 05 450r kicker issue

muffin-man
02-24-2007, 06:38 PM
So when I try to start it, it takes forever. Sometimes I have to kick it with the throttle wide open. I know its bad but I ALWAYS have to give it some gas to fire up while I kick it. Its a completely stock 05 450r. Please help

JJs450r
02-24-2007, 06:40 PM
mine did it and it was the valves we got em changed out and its perfect now mabye same thing

the Z Man
02-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I didn't have to change valves til after about 300 hours.. pump it a few times before you kick it..

nowukno
02-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Yea , i always blip the throttle about 1/2 way 2-3 times then kick and it fires right up.

N300exJ
02-25-2007, 06:20 AM
I never have to blip my throttle to get my R to start. adjust your valves people. It should start first kick no throttle like mine does.

d3ktrix
02-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by N300exJ
I never have to blip my throttle to get my R to start. adjust your valves people. It should start first kick no throttle like mine does.

Ditto, I can kick my 05 R over faster then my friends that have E start bikes :P

Can even get it in 1 kick sitting down.
If its cold tho it might to 2 or 3 kicks.

Check ur valve clearances.

muffin-man
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Its weird because this happens even when the engine is hot. In fact the engine starts quicker with less kicks when its colder. Jeez I remember one time I had to kick it about 20 times before it fired up, and it reeked of gas from flooding it. I think my valves need to be adjusted, I got them adjusted back in September but it may be time to do it again. Or maybe its the jetting? I run it at sea level, but honestly I don't know very much about the engines, I just pay the dealer to deal with it, less of a headache for me lol.

balls2da-wall
02-26-2007, 12:50 AM
This would be the reason why XC riders choose the kicker version of the 450R rather than the E-start....quicker dead-engine starts! Im surprised no one has mentioned the carb...has it done this ever since you got it?

Originally posted by d3ktrix
Ditto, I can kick my 05 R over faster then my friends that have E start bikes :P

Can even get it in 1 kick sitting down.
If its cold tho it might to 2 or 3 kicks.

Check ur valve clearances.

Oh and as far as the dealer doing your work...It would be wise for you to learn your quad. All that money you spend at the dealer could be going towards aftermarket parts!:p

muffin-man
02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
It started when I took off my k&n filter+outwear because when I took it in to get serviced they said it could damage the engine, so I got a UNI filter. I think what happened was I overoiled it, installed it, and started the bike. That was the first time it took forever to start. Perhaps the filter oil got sucked into the engine? I would think that by now it would have ran thru the engine tho. Any thoughts on this or a fix would be great thanks :-)

deathman53
02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
my hybrid crf450r, very similar motor. NO gas to start it at all, get it to tdc, let off and kick it with everything you got, it usually starts everytime, when its hot, I use the hot start, but same technique. When they get hard to start, usually the valves need to be adjusted. Also don't kick it in gear, always neutral.

muffin-man
02-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
my hybrid crf450r, very similar motor. NO gas to start it at all, get it to tdc, let off and kick it with everything you got, it usually starts everytime, when its hot, I use the hot start, but same technique. When they get hard to start, usually the valves need to be adjusted. Also don't kick it in gear, always neutral.

How do I get it to TDC? How will I know when it's there?

balls2da-wall
02-26-2007, 05:56 PM
You will feel it...its where it gets real hard to turn over.