PDA

View Full Version : TRX250R on Wikipedia

rustyATV
02-24-2007, 01:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_TRX250R

Right now, it's just a blurb.

I had wanted to compile some reasearch and write an article on Wikipedia about the 250R, but quickly realized how much of my knowledge is experience or conjecture, and not written and verifiable. Unfortunately, Wikipedia being an online encyclopedia, that really doesn't cut it. To that end, I thought I'd enlist the online community for help to build this reference.

Anyone can contribute to Wikipedia; it's free to sign up and edit. There are standards to maintiain in terms of formatting and grammar (read about them on the site). What I find to be the tough part, however, is verifiability. Information added cannot be original research, but must be cited from published sources (if I read correctly).

While basic dry specs are easy to find, where I ran into a block was how to include a descriptive history and the influence the 250R has had on the quad industry.

My content wish-list includes:

-People inside Honda who worked on the design
-The early factory riders
-First national championships
-First aftermarket frames (or all of them, including LRD's aluminum and LoneStar's titanium pieces)
-Parts interchangability within the different years and different quads
-Big bore kits
-The hybrids from the 350RX conversions, the popular 450's, to the fading big bore KTM's
-Last national titles

This can be more than just a dry "what it is" type of article. Details such as spindle asymmetry in the 88-89 years, maximum possible overbores of the cylinders, or other tuning tricks can be added, as long as it's verifiable by someone reading the article. That way, should someone decide they want to restore a 250R some time down the road, the info would be available to do so.

So, is anyone interested in digging through old magazine articles and, if they're out there, books to contribute?

Marc

iamjasyn
02-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Ah, you finally got around to getting some content in there. I'd also like to see some info on the length of racing history (long) and reasons for manufacturing discontinuation despite its enduring success.

I don't know where to get this info either. Honda probably won't give a lot of it up because they have other ATV's on the market they want to promote. I haven't tried to contact them though.

EXtreme-
02-24-2007, 03:59 PM
It amazes me of the number of units made in those short 4 years. If you get a count, please post it.

rustyATV
02-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by iamjasyn
Ah, you finally got around to getting some content in there.

Actually, it wasn't me. I was trying to figure out where to start when I found it, but was disappointed by how little was on there.

In the least I was going to add a picture, but none of my pictures (save ones of me) meet Wikipedia's criteria for submission. (I.e. I found them all on the internet)

iamjasyn
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I have a new condition 88 brochure and just bought an 87. I could scan images from those.

rustyATV
02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
You might check and see if you need to get permission to use them first. Wikipedia has rules about copyrighted material, though I think there is a work around for "low quality" images.

I just added the engine specs. I'll work on suspension specs later. Good ole' Clymer manual!