PDA

View Full Version : 250EX Performance FAQ thread

ryanh250ex
02-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Theres alot of repetitive threads asking the same info over and over again. To cut down on answering the same questions all the time, and differing answers to further confuse everyone, here's a FAQ to clear everything up.

To find what you're looking for, simply look below this paragraph, and with luck you'll find a answer relating to a question you have. If you find something that is incorrect, inaccurate, or have additional info on anything 250-related, PM me. I dont log on here every day but I check my PMs semi-regularly so I will do my best to keep this up to date.

Table of Contents

1. Bolt-on Engine modifications w/ pricing
2. Top Speeds
3-11. Exhaust/Jetting info/Recommendations
12&13. Advanced Engine Modification (Cams, Valvesprings, etc)
14.Oils
15-19. Suspension
20. Carburetor Swaps

PLEASE NOTE, All price ranges are approximations. I am not a vendor so I cant guarantee you will find what you are looking for at the price I specify.

1. I have ____ to spend on my 250. What would be the best bang for the buck bolt-on modifications?
Go-Fast Stuff
UNI filter/airbox mods: 30 bucks + a few bucks for a jet or two
Exhaust: if money is tight, get a slip-on, but I would recommend the full thing. 150-450 bucks + a few bucks for jets
Airbox delete: Free + a few bucks to rejet
Carb swap: Free-200 bucks + a few bucks for jets
Tires and Wheels: 200-400 bucks.

Go Far Stuff
Nerf Bars: 200 bucks

2. How fast will my [Insert year here] 250ex with [Insert modifications here] go in 5th gear?
22" tires, stock rev limiter: 51-52 mph.
22" tires, +1000 rev limiter: 58-61 mph.
Recons will be slightly lower.

3. What pipe is the best for the 250EX?
There is no dynos proving gains with one pipe over another on a 250ex. I did see a MBRP exhaust improve peak numbers by 1.5 HP over stock some time ago. That said, most choose exhausts because of price or fit and finish. My Pro Circuit T-4 is 5 years old and has stood the test of time. FMF and DG are generally considered lower-end exhausts due to poor craftsmanship. Bottom line, dont believe all the hype you hear, buy an exhaust because of sound levels, and how well it is fabricated.

4.Do i need to rejet after installing a aftermarket air filter and/or aftermarket exhaust?
YES! Even in stock form Hondas are tuned in such a way that they run lean (not enough fuel to mix with the air) for the sake of emissions.

5. How do I rejet my carb?
Here is a crash course on how to rejet your carburetor:

An engine is like a air pump. the pump (engine) works based off of three basic ingredients- air, fuel, and spark. For basic purposes, spark usually doesn't need to be adjusted regardless of mods (it could benefit a litttle bit but thats getting pretty technical). that said, that leaves us with two ingredients, air and fuel.

For the engine to run properly, a certain amount of air needs to mix with the given amount of fuel flowing into the motor. this mixture is called your Air to Fuel ratio- commonly abbreviated as A/F or AFR. for best gas mileage, the ideal AFR is 14.7:1 , but if you're trying to make maximum power, you want roughly 12:1.

So let's say you're running lean (not enough fuel to mix with the air) , that would mean you have a high (example: 17:1) AFR. not good for the motor, you'll experiencing overheating, backfiring, poor performance.

A rich mixture will lead to bogging, poor performance, etc. This will lead to a low AFR (e.g 10:1 or so). It means too much fuel being mixed with the air.

So the whole point of rejetting, is to provide enough fuel to appropriately mix with the air coming in. stuff like airbox mods, exhausts, aftermarket air filters, all that stuff will increase the airflow coming into the engine. so you need to add more fuel. Rejetting does this.

2001-2005 250EX's only. 2006 and on I believe are setup slightly different, but the process is similiar.
1) Make sure your bike is clean prior. Turn Gas line to OFF
2) Pop the seat off
3) Remove tabs off left side plastic (left side when sitting on bike)
4) Remove tabs off airbox brackets
5) loosen clamps to snorkel and carb
6) remove crankcase breather tube (major PITA if you havent done it before)
7) Yank airbox out
8) remove 2 nuts holding carb to intake manifold
9) flip carb upside down ( expect a small amount of fuel to drip out)
10) unscrew the 3 screws holding the float bowl (bottom half of carb, or when upside down, top half) on
11) OK smack dab in the middle of the carb (still holding upside down) is the main jet on top with the needle jet) the other orifice is the pilot jet.
12) Swap whatever you need to :-d

For the e-clip, take a peek at this photo, credit to TedWilley for making this... http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z86/NotSoYoungAnymore/NeedleAssembly.jpg

Note: I have been told that the 2006-2007 250's DO NOT have an adjustable e-clip. I cannot verify this, however.

Jetting Recommendations:

NOTE: ALL of these recommendations are assuming sea level elevation and room temperature (70 degrees Fahrenheit). These recommendations are with Honda/Keihin/K&N jet sizes, NOT dynojet. For dynojet, others have reported to me that the jet numbering runs about 4 lower than the keihin/K&N numbers.(CREDIT GOES TO JDUB03, thank you :) )

Stock exhaust, stock airbox lid, stock filter: 95 is stock, bump the main up to a 98.

Stock exhaust, stock airbox lid on, UNI/K&N filter: 100 main, e-clip on the jet needle put 1 notch further down (4th of 6 settings)

Stock exhaust, no airbox lid, UNI/K&N filter: 102 main, same e-clip setting

Any full spark-arrested exhaust (Sparks, HMF, Pro Circuit), airbox lid on, UNI/K&N filter: 105 main jet, e-clip in the same position as above

Full exhaust, No airbox lid, UNI/K&N filter: 108 or 110 main jet, e-clip should be good in the 4th position.

Full exhaust w/ NO spark arrestor (run at your own risk), No lid, UNI/K&N filter: 110 or 112 main jet, e-clip should be fine in the 4th position.

No airbox, no snorkel, UNI/K&N, full exhaust w/ no arrestor, etc: 120 main, e-clip in 5th groove.

6. How come you didn't make any recommendations as far as the pilot jet goes?

I run a full exhaust with no arrestor or quiet core, no snorkel/airbox, and i still run a 38 pilot. Unless you have major motorwork or run in extreme cold don't bother.

7. What if i dont ride in cold weather or have motorwork and my idle still sucks?
If you are having idle/off idle problems you need to play with the fuel screw and/or your idle adjustment.

8. I used your jetting recommendations during spring/summer and my quad was running awesome! Now it's cold out and it runs like crap. What gives?
In short, your quad is now running lean again thanks to the change in temperature (and as a result , air density). A good and easy to memorize rule of thumb is that you should go 1 size bigger on the main for every 20 degrees colder than the temperature in which the bike was tuned, and 1 size smaller for every 20 degrees hotter. Or, if you feel like taking the easy way out, if you were running no lid during the summer, just throw the lid back on for the winter. Usually, you'll be just about right for the average 30 degree winter day assuming you were spot on with no lid on a 70-80 degree day.

9. My exhaust came with different jetting recommendations than the ones you suggested.
Good for you. Have fun running a 125 main in a stock 250 w/ a slip on exhaust.

10. What about air filters? Is there one better than another?
Yes and no. Some filters are better at filtering dirt and sand, while not flowing quite as well, and vice versa. I can say with confidence from my own experience that I have been 100% satisfied with running UNI filters. I run one on my 250, my dad's Scrambler, my old Z50, as well as my modified V8 Jeep. I ride in everything from mud to sugar sand, and they've held up and filtered it all. It all comes down to personal preference basically.

11. What about running a foam pre-filter on a K&N?
Good for filtering, bad for performance and your wallet. In addition to buying both , this means you need filter oil to properly oil both filters. It is a good idea if you run in the dunes for example and are going to a mudbog, or someplace that you wouldn't normally ride at.

12. Bolt-on mods are for sissies. I want real power!
1.Web Camshaft
2. Port/Polish
3. JE .020 piston
or, skip all of the above and slap a turbo on like me :eek2:

13. My valves float at high RPM. Is there such a thing as HD valvesprings for the 250EX?
Yes, R/D valvespring makes both Titanium and Chromoly Valvesprings for the 250ex. The Ti is 136 dollars, while the Chromo is 76. These springs would be ideal if you have a top-end oriented build, or have a cam/rev box.

14. What is the best motor oil for the 250ex?
I am not going to say one oil is better than another, because I know someone will get their panties in a wad about it. I've ran GN4, Amsoil synthetic, and ELF synthetic, and i found ELF to be the best bang for the buck motor oil thus far. Amsoil might be marginally better, but the difference between the two was negligible at best and the ELF was 25% cheaper. Synthetic is always better than conventional oil. Shell Rotella oil in both synthetic and non-synthetic form is another great oil for not much money.

Please be aware that synthetics with friction modifiers will make your clutch slip.

15. What about suspension? Who makes suspension for a 250ex?
Works and Elka both make front and rear shocks for the 250. Herrmann Racing and ASR both make +2 a-arms, as well.

16. Works and Elka shocks are just too stinkin' expensive. Is there any other options?
Suspension isn't cheap- but you get what you pay for. Although they will not handle as well as a quality set of aftermarket shocks and extended a-arms there are some cheaper solutions:

For the front suspension: 300ex shocks (Recon's only?), Diamond J Widening kit w/ DVX/400ex/300ex front shocks (OEM or aftermarket)

For the rear suspension: Banshee front shock, 300ex rear shock (all years w/ the use of 2 washers), 2001 Raptor rear shock

17.My 250 is pretty tippy in the corners. What can I do to make it a bit more stable?
1) Get rid of those rear balloons and get some real tires. Demands may vary, but for gravel/trails/grass I recommend the Razr.
2) This is expensive, but +2 a-arms/shocks/axle.
3) Wheel spacers. Expect lots of bent axles/tie rods/hub damage if you like jumps.

18. Who makes an axle for the 250? Can I switch them out myself?
Durablue makes one. Last time I checked, it was available through either Rocky Mountain ATV or Chaparell for 289.99.

And YES, an axle swap is a DIY job. It is easy but takes alot of time. You'll need a few seals/bearings , but nothing crazy. A OEM axle swap to replace a bent OEM axle (this includes seals, etc) ran me about $160 in parts from Service Honda. Now that i know what i'm doing, I could probably take a bent one out and install a new one in an hour.

Its been a while, but from what I remember this is how you replace the axle.
1) Make sure the quad is clean and free of any gunk, mud, or dirt that could contaminate bearings/seals.
2) Remove BOTH rear wheels. You'll need to remove the hubs- straighten up the cotter pin used to hold the castle nut in place, remove them, and once they are out, remove the castle nuts. If you are gentle with the cotter pins you can reuse them, BUT you are doing so at your own risk.
3) Remove the hubs.
4) Disconnect the rear brake cable.
5) Looking at the gear case from behind the quad, remove all the bolts holding the rear drum brake in place on the right side. Open it and inspect it for unusual wear and clean any debris that may have made its way in there.
6) It might be before you remove the drum brake, but at some point you have to remove the locknut holding the axle. You'll need a axle locknut tool- I got mine at the Honda dealer for 10-15 bucks. I connected a breaker bar to this tool and then slipped about 5 ft of pipe over it, and was able to break it loose.
7) Remove axle
8) This is the part where my mind gets a bit fuzzy, LOL. See my note below.

NOTE: I REALLY recommend getting the Honda Service manual for the 250ex axle swap. I used it, and didn't really know what I was getting myself into at the time and sure enough, I did it with no problem. If I ever have to swap out another axle, I will post a full write-up. The above instructions are, at best, guidelines for what you'll need to do.

19.Who makes extended A-arms for the 250?
ASR and Herrman Racings both make +2 a-arms. ASR offers 3 different sets, with different materials and more adjustability.

20. I want/need more performance, but I dont feel like rebuilding the top end or even tearing it apart if everything internally is fine. I already have intake/ full exhaust/rejetted carb, what should I do?
The best (or most noticeable) modification you can do given the above situation would be to upgrade to a bigger carburetor. A bigger carb means more air, and more air mixed with more fuel means more power! The below carbs will fit all years of 250ex's with minimal modifications:

NOTE: I have not done the carb swap yet. The only thing I can verify is that they will fit onto the intake manifold. The few that have done the swap have mentioned that the stock throttle cable does not fit on top of the XR carb. Based on TAINO RACING's experience, Motion Pro cable Part # 02-0472 will work, if you cut the cable down to approximately the 250ex cable's length, then resolder the piston back onto the cable. I'll figure it out in the next month or two here (Posted April 2009)

ATC200x carb- 24mm
XR200 carb- 26mm (all years EXCEPT the dual carb model)
DG carb for ATC200X/XR200- 27mm(?)

The following carbs will work with some modification:

300ex carb - all years

You'll need to rejet accordingly.

This will be an ongoing FAQ thread, I have more info to put down..[

BlasterEaten250
02-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Good post;) You covered pretty much everything, but I would like to add in something. It makes it 10x easier to work on the 250 with either a Clymers manual or a Honda shop manual. From what I can tell, Clymers tells more on how to take apart the whole bike and put it back together, but doesn't go into as much detail on little things about the engine such as oil pressure. Where (from what I hear) the Honda Shop manual tells how to take it apart and put it back together, plus all the little engine details. I have a Clymers and it's more than enough for a backyard mechanic. It thouroughly explains on how to adjust the valves (and tells the clearance levels), shows wiring diagrams, gives a lot of electical information, and like I said before, it basically tells you how to take everything apart and put it back together. I've replaced my axle using it, replaced axle bearings, rear drums, adjusted valves, and a few other things with it. So if you do a lot of work on your quad yourself, I would definatly reccomend either a Clymers Manual or Honda Shop manual.

(also let's try to keep this thread clean everybody:macho )

m.h.s.c.#527
02-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Whre can we get both of these maunuals?

BlasterEaten250
02-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Try your dealer, they usually have manuals for sale. If not amazon.com or an online motosports store should have it. Ebay may even have them.

250exkid
03-03-2007, 01:48 PM
hey add oils for the 250ex. put this question in the F.A.Q. Whats the best BUT CHEAPEST oil to run? whats the Best oil to run thats a little bit more money and whats the best synthetic oil to run??? AND i want to no with all oils and NOT the oil from dealers. the dealers are WAY over Priced so i want to no about all other oils. thank you and i hope you can answer this right and add to the f.a.q!

ALEXANDERJASON
03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
I HAVE AN '07 250EX. I CAN'T FIND THE FUEL SCREW. I AM GETTING A LITTLE POPPING AT DECEL. I WANTED TO TRY TOOLING AROUND WITH THE FUEL SCREW BEFORE I TRY A LARGER PILOT JET. I ALSO HAVE AN '05 RECON AND CANNOT FIND IT ON THERE EITHER?

I WAS HOPING IT WOULD BE AS EASY AS MY SONS '01 XR70. HIS IDLE AND FUEL SCREW ARE SIDE BY SIDE. YOU CAN JUST WARM IT UP, IDLE IT UP, AND WORK THE SCREW BACK AND FORTH 1/4 TURN AT A TIME UNTIL YOU HIT THE SWEET SPOT.

ON A SIDE NOTE - HOW DO YOU GUYS DISPOSE OF BAD GAS? I DRAINED OUR TOYS AND HAVE ALMOST 5 GALLONS OF OLD GAS.

m.h.s.c.#527
03-04-2007, 08:37 AM
i dump it on my track to keep grass from growing but if i didnt have a track i would justwalk around ur foundation of ur house and dump it there to keep weeds from growing

250exkid
03-04-2007, 08:42 AM
now when you say your looking for the fuel screw you mean the air mixture screw??? its right in front of the carb on the out side...... and with that poping you will allways get a LITTTLE pop here and there but you could be running rich to....... rich eould be kinda poping........ and check your plug mine got kinked over and it was poping allot to so check that also,:)

ryanh250ex
03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ALEXANDERJASON
I HAVE AN '07 250EX. I CAN'T FIND THE FUEL SCREW. I AM GETTING A LITTLE POPPING AT DECEL. I WANTED TO TRY TOOLING AROUND WITH THE FUEL SCREW BEFORE I TRY A LARGER PILOT JET. I ALSO HAVE AN '05 RECON AND CANNOT FIND IT ON THERE EITHER?

I WAS HOPING IT WOULD BE AS EASY AS MY SONS '01 XR70. HIS IDLE AND FUEL SCREW ARE SIDE BY SIDE. YOU CAN JUST WARM IT UP, IDLE IT UP, AND WORK THE SCREW BACK AND FORTH 1/4 TURN AT A TIME UNTIL YOU HIT THE SWEET SPOT.

ON A SIDE NOTE - HOW DO YOU GUYS DISPOSE OF BAD GAS? I DRAINED OUR TOYS AND HAVE ALMOST 5 GALLONS OF OLD GAS.

Caps off next time, please.

Without knowing what mods are on your bike, i cant tell you the exact problem. The fuel screw is up front on the carb IIRC. It's a real pain to get to.

DO NOT POUR OLD GAS INTO THE GROUND. :rolleyes: The best thing to do , if its gas that Sta-bil cant revive, is just take it to the local dump/recycling center, they will probably know what to do with it.

How old is the gas? i've used some pretty old gas in some of my rides, with no ill results.

m.h.s.c.#527
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
Caps off next time, please.

Without knowing what mods are on your bike, i cant tell you the exact problem. The fuel screw is up front on the carb IIRC. It's a real pain to get to.

DO NOT POUR OLD GAS INTO THE GROUND. :rolleyes: The best thing to do , if its gas that Sta-bil cant revive, is just take it to the local dump/recycling center, they will probably know what to do with it.

How old is the gas? i've used some pretty old gas in some of my rides, with no ill results.

ITS JUST GUNNA KEEP WEEDZ FROM GROWING I DONT SEE A PROBLEM WITH THAT AT ALL

250exkid
03-04-2007, 07:03 PM
ohh boo hoo jump it in the ground jeezs its not gonna do much.... lol light it on fire burn it up lol

ryanh250ex
03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
pouring gas into the ground has environmental consequences. the chemicals soak into the ground, which can then run off into streams, etc etc.

m.h.s.c.#527
03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
hey where duz gas cum from crude oil where duz crude oil cum from THE GROUND technically gas is more clean than the oil thats in the ground

reen282
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
yes M.H.S.C. you are right i had never thought about that the only harm that it could possibly be doing is killing off the grass and there arent many people that i know that want grass to grow rite next to there foundation and old gas that is going to be disposed of any way is cheaper than weed-be-gone but thats just my personal thoughts

m.h.s.c.#527
03-05-2007, 08:09 AM
what are the environmental consequences of weed be gone lol

quadfamily
03-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Alright, I'm going to put an end to this now. Dumping of gas or oil or any other contaminamt is highly illegal and very dangerous to the environment. I cannot believe that some people are so narrow minded and clueless to think that it has no impact at all. Don't you realize that it will get into your drinking water if you have a well? Gas has MTBE in it which is poison and doesn't go away! This is to the point where if it keeps up the people who promote dumping will be turned into the EPA and trust me, you don't want them knocking on your door. Lets keep this thread on topic please!

Xylene
03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
The ignorance of some members of this forum is astonishing.

m.h.s.c.#527
03-05-2007, 12:54 PM
alright i feel u guys

250exkid
03-05-2007, 02:34 PM
same here even tho i never done it yet..... well a little on my driveway...

ALEXANDERJASON
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
BEFORE ANYONE FREAKS OUT, I AM AT WORK, AND MY TERMINAL CAN ONLY TYPE IN ALL CAPS. (WHY ANYONE GETS THEIR PANTIES IN A WAD OVER THIS IS JUST STUPID!!)

SORRY FOR THE WHOLE FUEL THING, I DIDN'T KNOW IT WOULD GET OUT OF HAND.

ON TO MORE IMPORTANT THINGS. MY LOCAL DEALER TOLD ME THAT MY SLOW JET IS A 42 ('07 250EX) VS. A 38 ON THE OLDER MODELS. I DIDN'T ASK WHAT SIZE THE MAIN JET WAS. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SIZE THE MAIN JET IS ON THE NEW MODELS? IS IT JUST DIFFERENT JETS, OR IS THE CARB DIFFERENT? I AM AT SEA LEVEL, AND DEFINATELY RUNNING LEAN. I HAVE RIDDEN MY QUAD FOR ABOUT 6 HOURS AND MY PLUG IS WHITE AS A GHOST AND VERY CLEAN. I GET A PRETTY GOOD AMOUNT OF POPPING ON DECEL. I THOUGHT SINCE THE FUEL SCREW WAS SUCH A PITA TO GET TO, I WOULD JUST GO UP ONE ON THE PILOT JET (45) SINCE IT IS APPARENT I AM REALLY LEAN I THOUGHT THE SCREW WOULDN'T DO MUCH ANYWAY.

SO I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY POSTS HERE THAT HAVE MUCH TO SAY IN THE OLDER VS. NEWER 250EX'S. EVERYONE SEEMS TO AGREE THAT IT'S JUST PLASTICS AND SPORT CLUTCH. BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENT JET KIT FOR 06-07 THAN PREVIOUS YEARS. SO I AM CURIOUS TO FIND OUT THE REAL STORY ON THE CARB.

ANYONE KNOW??

hillclimbingrec
03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
i also have a question, i NEED more power for hills!!! i all ready have a big gun slip on, it runs fine with the stock jetting, but what will a rev box do to my recon? will a cam for a 250 fit mine? port and poils? bore? tell me all!!

BlasterEaten250
03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by hillclimbingrec
i also have a question, i NEED more power for hills!!! i all ready have a big gun slip on, it runs fine with the stock jetting, but what will a rev box do to my recon? will a cam for a 250 fit mine? port and poils? bore? tell me all!! I'm not sure on the '05 and up recons, but I BELIEVE that the only difference between the '04 and below model recons engine wise with the 250ex is the valve setup. The valves on the older recons and 250's are different. I'm not sure if that's all thats different though. Do you have an aftermarket air filter? A filter plus jetting along with your pipe should give you a considerable increase. Also I don't know if it's an option, but from what I remember you have some pretty beasty tires on your recon. Try a lighter tire such as Maxxis Razr's or Kenda Klaws. Huge mud tires really rob your power.

250exkid
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
if you want really good mud tires that are light get Mudlights..... thats what im putting on my 250ex

250exkid
03-10-2007, 10:37 AM
hey ryan add this to the faq... Vovoline 10w40 oil is a greAT cheap oil... its formulated for 4 stroke motorcycles and wetclutch ... so its purfect.

honda450rider33
04-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
Good post;) You covered pretty much everything, but I would like to add in something. It makes it 10x easier to work on the 250 with either a Clymers manual or a Honda shop manual. From what I can tell, Clymers tells more on how to take apart the whole bike and put it back together, but doesn't go into as much detail on little things about the engine such as oil pressure. Where (from what I hear) the Honda Shop manual tells how to take it apart and put it back together, plus all the little engine details. I have a Clymers and it's more than enough for a backyard mechanic. It thouroughly explains on how to adjust the valves (and tells the clearance levels), shows wiring diagrams, gives a lot of electical information, and like I said before, it basically tells you how to take everything apart and put it back together. I've replaced my axle using it, replaced axle bearings, rear drums, adjusted valves, and a few other things with it. So if you do a lot of work on your quad yourself, I would definatly reccomend either a Clymers Manual or Honda Shop manual.

(also let's try to keep this thread clean everybody:macho )

those blasters you were eaten where they in your dreams

m.h.s.c.#527
04-07-2007, 09:13 PM
nope ive eaten a few myself

250exkid
04-08-2007, 09:31 AM
same here but they were stock wile i had my mods, remember it was a drag!

Pipeless416
04-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by honda450rider33
those blasters you were eaten where they in your dreams

maybe if you had the common sense to realize that it could be a joke you wouldnt look like such an ignorant moron. we have a neighbor that owns a blaster, so dont let your panties get in a bunch. you're already not very well liked in this section because of the other useless thread you started about how 450's are better. anyway, thanks for the amusement.:grr:

honda450rider33
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
wow i am not liked by a bunch of 250ex riders what will i ever do

honda450rider33
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
maybe if you had the common sense to realize that it could be a joke you wouldnt look like such an ignorant moron. we have a neighbor that owns a blaster, so dont let your panties get in a bunch. you're already not very well liked in this section because of the other useless thread you started about how 450's are better. anyway, thanks for the amusement.:grr:

and i never posted a thread saying 450's are better

m.h.s.c.#527
04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
im not trying to be rude but as soon as a moderator sees all the negative things uve posted u will be banned unless u just stop

honda450rider33
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
i am sorry i am done

m.h.s.c.#527
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
i am sure everyone will accept that and be appreciative of your opinions

honda450rider33
04-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527
i am sure everyone will accept that and be appreciative of your opinions

what do you mean

ALEXANDERJASON
04-09-2007, 07:36 PM
wow i am not liked by a bunch of 250ex riders what will i ever do

YOU SEEM TO THINK YOU ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE WHO POSTS IN THIS FORUM BECAUSE YOU HAVE A 450. I HAVEN'T REPLIED IN SOME TIME NOW, BUT I JUST HAD TO.

DID IT EVER OCCUR TO YOU THAT SOME PEOPLE BUY 250'S BECAUSE THEY WANT THEM, AND NOT BECAUSE THEY CAN'T AFFORD A 450?? AND THOSE PEOPLE LIKE TINKERING WITH THINGS BECAUSE THEY CAN. BECAUSE THEY LIKE THEIR STUFF TO BE DIFFERENT OR PERSONALIZED. THAT'S WHY THESE FORUMS ARE CREATED. NOT FOR JOHNNY BADASS ON HIS BIGGER BETTER BIKE TO COME IN AND TALK CRAP TO EVERYBODY.

I DIDN'T OVERLOOK YOUR COMMENT ABOUT ME BURIED IN A POST LAST WEEK. I TELL MY CUSTOMERS, FRIENDS, AND FAMILY THAT PEOPLE ALWAYS GET WHAT THEY DESERVE. NEGATIVITY BREEDS NEGATIVITY. YOU AND I WILL NEVER MEET, OF THAT I AM CERTAIN. BUT AFTER YOU READ THIS POST, YOU WILL THINK ABOUT IT SOMEDAY WHEN YOU ARE GETTING WHAT YOU DESERVE!!

IF EVERYONE ADMITS THAT YOU ARE THE GOD OF ATV'S, WILL YOU GO AWAY??

I'LL BE THE FIRST ONE TO GET IT STARTED.

PLEASE EVERYONE, JOIN IN AND HELP.

honda450rider33 IS THE GOD OF ALL ATV'S!!!!!

m.h.s.c.#527
04-09-2007, 07:41 PM
u no i dont necessarily want him to go away because this is a place for friends if he would just be nice which he said he was sorry so i am honda450rider33's friend and i was the first one he said n e thing bad to he said my quad was the ultimate fugly

honda450rider33
04-09-2007, 08:56 PM
thank you mhsc #572 i appreciate your forgiveness and i concider you my friend also, and as for alexanderjason what post are you exactly talking about and what did you not understand that i was done talking about this subject i should not have said anything and i am sorry for offending anyone i did not mean no make anyone feel bad about there atv's i said i was sorry and after all that you still had to come push my buttons not cool

ryanh250ex
04-10-2007, 04:10 PM
All of you guys, knock it off. Talk ***** all you want, but NOT in the FAQ. Take it to PM

ALEXANDERJASON
04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
HONDA450RIDER, FAIR ENOUGH, MY APLOGIES TO YOU.

RYAN, YOU SHOULD ASK TO HAVE THIS THREAD LOCKED.

honda450rider33
04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
thank you for your apologe i accept i hope you accept mine also

Pipeless416
04-10-2007, 06:28 PM
thank you for your apologe i accept i hope you accept mine also

well thats cute, but this can all be done in PM's. anyway, back to the subject of FAQ for the 250ex.

m.h.s.c.#527
04-10-2007, 06:34 PM
my aftermarket shocks are set up for stock a arm lenth (they asked) so does this mean i cant get plus twos?

Pipeless416
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527
my aftermarket shocks are set up for stock a arm lenth (they asked) so does this mean i cant get plus twos?

they'll have to be revalved for the extra leverage. possibly resprung?? if you put +2s on they would bottom out very easily.

ryanh250ex
04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ALEXANDERJASON
HONDA450RIDER, FAIR ENOUGH, MY APLOGIES TO YOU.

RYAN, YOU SHOULD ASK TO HAVE THIS THREAD LOCKED.

I wont lock it, because it's already stickied and there is alot of good info here.

If anything I'll ask the mods to delete all the unnecessary posts.

MHSC, when you change to wider a-arms, you change the amount of leverage that is placed on the shock, which in effect makes it ride softer. You'll have to get them revalved for them to function properly.

m.h.s.c.#527
04-11-2007, 06:21 PM
ok im not bottoming out on the softest setting so im thinkin about sum wheel spacers what do u think and im not sure if i do the fron should i do the rear and vice versa

BlasterEaten250
04-11-2007, 06:32 PM
If I were you I wouldn't throw off the front end geometry when you have such nice shocks. If you want to widen the front end, do it the right way. You can run your shocks how they are on wider a-arms, but they would be 10x better if you revalved them. Spacers would be fine for the back though because it's not like you do much jumping in xc racing where you would bend the axle.

m.h.s.c.#527
04-11-2007, 06:49 PM
i know but i am wanting a softer ride so i think wheel spacers would be good

BlasterEaten250
04-11-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't know what adjustments you have on your elka's, but you should be able to make them softer. If you get wheel spacers on the front, you will feel every root, rock, or stump you hit on the trail. It will jerk the bars out of your hands a lot easier.

m.h.s.c.#527
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
really that bad i have preload and compression

ryanh250ex
04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Updated today.

coolkid91
04-26-2007, 11:37 PM
no you wont notice any more bump steer than normal.i have 1.5in spacers in the front and i love them,it realy dosent matter its not like were freakin pros lol.get the spacers you love them

ryanh250ex
04-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by coolkid91
no you wont notice any more bump steer than normal.i have 1.5in spacers in the front and i love them,it realy dosent matter its not like were freakin pros lol.get the spacers you love them

You're also putting additional stress on your front end parts. bearings, bushings, joints etc etc.

coolkid91
04-27-2007, 10:21 PM
ha who cares lol ,its a honda

ryanh250ex
04-28-2007, 08:53 PM
ha who cares lol ,its a honda

:rolleyes: the ignorance of some of you never fails to amaze me .

Rider-trx_250ex
05-05-2007, 09:27 PM

If anything I'll ask the mods to delete all the unnecessary posts.

YES< have that done, I had to read through about 2 pages of useless garble just to find what I'm reading for.....

AND does anyone know where I can buy a WEB camshaft......i have searched for ever!

ryanh250ex
05-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
YES< have that done, I had to read through about 2 pages of useless garble just to find what I'm reading for.....

AND does anyone know where I can buy a WEB camshaft......i have searched for ever!

Report the posts to a mod or admin, i sent them a msg about it to no avail.

As to your tech question, any shop that carries WEB camshafts should be able to order the 250ex grind. I doubt most places carry it in stock, seeing as they use stock cores.

Honda10
06-16-2007, 09:08 AM
how fast will my 250ex go with an hmf full system pipe, k & n airfilter, and white brothers jeting.

kingdingaling
06-17-2007, 03:00 AM
My brother and I are buying a 250ex just to mess around with so i was doing some research on them and I have yet to see one of these quads with a big bore kit and longer intake rocker arm from Powroll. I was wondering how a 250ex with this, plus bolt-ons, would fair against bigger quads such as the 300ex. And I would also like to know if the web cam would still be a descent upgrade. The cam has more lift and duration on the intake side than the exhaust side. If this was run with the longer intake rocker, would this cause a problem? It seems to me like the engine would be bringing in a lot of air but would be too weak on the exhaust side to get it all out! Any info would be appreciated!

BlasterEaten250
06-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Honda10
how fast will my 250ex go with an hmf full system pipe, k & n airfilter, and white brothers jeting. 50 mph give or take about a mile an hour.

BlasterEaten250
06-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by kingdingaling
My brother and I are buying a 250ex just to mess around with so i was doing some research on them and I have yet to see one of these quads with a big bore kit and longer intake rocker arm from Powroll. I was wondering how a 250ex with this, plus bolt-ons, would fair against bigger quads such as the 300ex. And I would also like to know if the web cam would still be a descent upgrade. The cam has more lift and duration on the intake side than the exhaust side. If this was run with the longer intake rocker, would this cause a problem? It seems to me like the engine would be bringing in a lot of air but would be too weak on the exhaust side to get it all out! Any info would be appreciated! A bored out 250 with a higher compression piston should be right around or maybe a little faster than the 300ex until the 250 hits its top speed. I remember a long time ago someone installed a web cam and said it gave a pretty good increase. That's about all I know since I haven't really looked in it very much. I would consider calling powroll racing if you are really interested though, they make a few engine mods for the 250.

ryanh250ex
06-18-2007, 07:57 PM
how fast will my 250ex go with an hmf full system pipe, k & n airfilter, and white brothers jeting.

Try reading first. :rolleyes:

Kingdingaling, the whole premise behind the high ratio intake rocker is that it is supposed to give you approximately the same gains as the WEB cam would, without the hassle of installing a cam. They as far as i know are not meant to be used together, likely because they would cause the valves to float, or valve springs to bind.

I'm not saying this is a definite fix, but if you really want to try the combination of the powroll rocker AND the WEB cam, you would probably want to look into purchasing the R&D valvesprings. I am thinking that they are likely designed to handle a bit more lift than the factory valve springs.

I'm selling my 250ex because my financial situation has changed drastically since i made this FAQ, but if i had to do it all over again and stayed with all-motor performance, i'd do exhaust, airbox delete, MAJOR port and polish work from an expert, a XR200 carb,
WEB cam, JE piston w/ Vesrah rod, and a CDI.

exrider12
06-26-2007, 08:10 AM
what increments do the jets go up and down?like 95-98-102-105 etc

ryanh250ex
06-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by exrider12
what increments do the jets go up and down?like 95-98-102-105 etc

95, 98, 100, 102, 105, 108, 110, 112, 115, 118 , 120, 122, 125, 128 i believe.

dingraha
07-02-2007, 03:15 PM
what kind of turbo set up are u running? you have pics?

ryanh250ex
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by dingraha
what kind of turbo set up are u running? you have pics?

I have postponed the turbo setup indefinitely- I had some unforseen financial problems come up and as a result have to sell both my bikes.

At this point I will probably buy a older 400ex sometime next year, and continue on with it.

The turbo is off of a British Smart car- the model is KKK KP31.

dingraha
07-03-2007, 01:16 PM
the je piston kit raises the compression to 11.5 : 1! what type of gas would you have to use?

ryanh250ex
07-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by dingraha
the je piston kit raises the compression to 11.5 : 1! what type of gas would you have to use?

100 octane or greater. Pump gas (87, 91, 93) would be a no-go. You may have to use greater than 100, but my point is you'd need race gas for sure. On air cooled bikes 11:1 is generally accepted as the absolute limit for pump gas, however IMO even that is pushing the limit.

07250ex
07-03-2007, 06:16 PM
100 octane or greater. Pump gas (87, 91, 93) would be a no-go. You may have to use greater than 100, but my point is you'd need race gas for sure. On air cooled bikes 11:1 is generally accepted as the absolute limit for pump gas, however IMO even that is pushing the limit.

whats the limit on a liquid cooled bike?

ryanh250ex
07-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
whats the limit on a liquid cooled bike?

ballpark 12:1

07250ex
07-03-2007, 07:04 PM
ahhh is that cuz the engine stays cooler?

ryanh250ex
07-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
ahhh is that cuz the engine stays cooler?

sort of, liquid cooled engines do not have to reply on the flow of air around the motor to keep cool. As a motor gets hotter- either because of friction, ambient temperature, load, etc, it has a higher tendency to ping/knock.

TRXRIDER4567
07-13-2007, 06:31 AM
my bike is pretty stock except for the razrs and the fmf slip on. would it be worth it to put on a big gun rev box (750 rpm).

ryanh250ex
07-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by TRXRIDER4567
my bike is pretty stock except for the razrs and the fmf slip on. would it be worth it to put on a big gun rev box (750 rpm).

Your money would be better spent on other things. You might see some gain, but at this point it would be better spent either saving for a carb, a header, etc etc etc.

Honda10
07-15-2007, 07:03 PM
How fast will my [05] 250ex with [K&N air filter and jet kit, and HMF full system] go in 5th gear

coolkid91
07-16-2007, 11:31 AM
same as before,it will get to that top speed faster though.you would have to change gearing some ho to make a higher top speed but the power would suck down low.the motors geared right for the all around best performance.o by the way a the bike will only go about 50 give or take a few with 22s

Honda10
07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I have been wanting to know, does the FMF power bomb heard give u any more power or any gain?

ryanh250ex
07-17-2007, 07:03 PM
How fast will my [05] 250ex with [K&N air filter and jet kit, and HMF full system] go in 5th gear

READ THE FAQ.

I havent heard about the powerbomb producing any more TQ or HP than the average aftermarket header. the ideal design is a tube that is tapered in diameter for maximum exhaust scavenging.

TRXRIDER4567
07-18-2007, 07:23 AM
how fast will my 2003 250ex with fmf slip on 20 inch razrs and a big gun rev box go in 5th gear

coolkid91
07-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Quit asking these nonsence questions,READ THE FAQ

mx825
07-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Quit asking these nonsence questions, READ THE FAQ

X2

Honda10
07-29-2007, 07:33 AM
If i widen the front of my 250ex with a dimond J widening kit would if be safe to stay with stocks, or would i have to install 300ex, or 400ex shocks. And also for wheels spacers in the rear, how often do the bend the axel and are they a waste of money?

ryanh250ex
08-04-2007, 08:33 AM
If i widen the front of my 250ex with a dimond J widening kit would if be safe to stay with stocks, or would i have to install 300ex, or 400ex shocks. And also for wheels spacers in the rear, how often do the bend the axel and are they a waste of money?

You'd need longer shocks, i would imagine. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I believe the widening kit would change the leverage point of the shocks, which means that because the shock isn't valved to be at that angle, it would lead to failure. these kits are not that expensive, and neither is a set of OEM 400ex shocks, why WOULDNT you upgrade?

How "often" wheel spacers in the rear bend axles is a question I cant answer. I'm on my 3rd axle, and I have NEVER had wheel spacers, so I'm inclined to say that the factory axle is not a strong piece. That said, both were due to wrecks I had (one was major, the other was just me going over the bars at a slow speed)

If you dont get major air, you should be okay, and they wouldn't be a waste. But last I checked an axle swap (OEM) costs about 150 bucks in bearings, seals, etc (w/o labor costs), and spacers cost what, 60 bucks? For 299 why not just get a Durablue axle and never have to worry about bending an axle due to a poor landing on a jump, etc.

homemadebrownie
09-03-2007, 06:02 AM
little random but i am rejetting my quad and i did everything u siad but i cant get those 2 bolts out (btw i think there nuts)...plz help iwth the tool i can use to take them out thanks

tedwilley
09-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Are you referring to the two nuts that hold the carb onto the engine studs?
10mm open end wrench. Don't over tighten when replacing the carb, 1/4 turn past snug should be enough.
If they are too tight to get them off, try soaking the threads for 10-20 minutes with some WD40 first

09-24-2007, 08:53 PM
You'd need longer shocks, i would imagine. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I believe the widening kit would change the leverage point of the shocks, which means that because the shock isn't valved to be at that angle, it would lead to failure. these kits are not that expensive, and neither is a set of OEM 400ex shocks, why WOULDNT you upgrade?

How "often" wheel spacers in the rear bend axles is a question I cant answer. I'm on my 3rd axle, and I have NEVER had wheel spacers, so I'm inclined to say that the factory axle is not a strong piece. That said, both were due to wrecks I had (one was major, the other was just me going over the bars at a slow speed)

If you dont get major air, you should be okay, and they wouldn't be a waste. But last I checked an axle swap (OEM) costs about 150 bucks in bearings, seals, etc (w/o labor costs), and spacers cost what, 60 bucks? For 299 why not just get a Durablue axle and never have to worry about bending an axle due to a poor landing on a jump, etc.

cant agree more, some axle companies have lifetime guarantees. if i were to do it i would do it right the 1st time around.

ryanh250ex
10-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Updated 10/11/07.

I have made some slight changes to represent the difference between the 1st generation 250's (2001 to 2005) and the 2nd generation (2006- present).

tedwilley
10-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Ryan,
Nice edits to the FAQ, much easier to read and follow.

*BTW kids (no offense-everyone is younger than me!), I have not read anything in the FAQs (original thread) that is inaccurate OR misleading.

ryanh250ex
10-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by tedwilley
Ryan,
Nice edits to the FAQ, much easier to read and follow.

*BTW kids (no offense-everyone is younger than me!), I have not read anything in the FAQs (original thread) that is inaccurate OR misleading.

Thanks. The table of contents should really make it idiot-proof.

I had to clean up a few things in regards to the differences between the old and new 250's. Its been brought to my attention that some of the things I have written based on my experiences with my '02, are not 100% correct for '06s and on.

Honda10
11-03-2007, 08:30 PM
I have Castrol syntec synthetic 10w-30 motor oil sitting here, will it work fine for a 250ex?

ryanh250ex
11-04-2007, 04:07 PM
I have Castrol syntec synthetic 10w-30 motor oil sitting here, will it work fine for a 250ex?

Depends. Look on the bottle, and if it says "ENERGY CONSERVING" (it will be inside a circular label) on it, dont use it. If it does not, you're good to go.

Honda10
11-04-2007, 04:31 PM
it does say energy conserving. so i i shouldnt use it right?

250exkid
11-04-2007, 05:28 PM
yea dont use it!!!

Honda10
11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
all right thanks

rotor1
01-23-2008, 10:10 AM
hey Ryan - i saw in your post that you have done a axle replacement before...
is there any way you could give me some step by step directions and any pointers to make it as painless as possible?
also, a detailed parts list ie. seals, bearings, etc.
or would i have to tear into it first, to see what all i will need?
thanks man
-rotor

ryanh250ex
01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by rotor1
hey Ryan - i saw in your post that you have done a axle replacement before...
is there any way you could give me some step by step directions and any pointers to make it as painless as possible?
also, a detailed parts list ie. seals, bearings, etc.
or would i have to tear into it first, to see what all i will need?
thanks man
-rotor

Rotor,

It's been probably 3 years since I've done a swap. I tried listing some basic guidelines earlier, my computer was acting up so I dont know if it was posted or not. Look at #18.

If you want a in-depth write-up, you really need to shell out the extra 20 bucks for the Honda shop manual. Sorry, but it's just been too long for me to remember it all in order.

rotor1
01-24-2008, 07:34 PM
roger that.
did you mean the Clymer manual or the Honda "Shop" manual? which do you like?

thanks man.

-Rotor

ryanh250ex
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by rotor1
roger that.
did you mean the Clymer manual or the Honda "Shop" manual? which do you like?

thanks man.

-Rotor

Rotor,

The manual that Honda makes. They should have it in stock at your local Honda dealer. It is a very, very, very good manual to have.

The whole process is FAR easier than it looks- any shade tree mechanic can do it.

Honda10
02-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Do all the 250exs have an adjustable fuel screw?

ryanh250ex
02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
most likely. It's a pretty common item on a carburetor.

Honda10
02-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I was just making sure because my friends 04 400ex does not have one.

FastraxCycle
03-05-2008, 08:09 AM
The below carbs will fit all years of 250ex's with minimal modifications:ATC200x carb- 24mm
XR200 carb- 26mm (all years EXCEPT the dual carb model)
DG carb for ATC200X/XR200- 27mm(?)

This may have already been answered on here but why are the ATC200 & XR200 carbs better than the TRX250EX carb?

Honda10
03-05-2008, 04:49 PM
bigger carbs more, mm wise

ryanh250ex
03-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by FastraxCycle
This may have already been answered on here but why are the ATC200 & XR200 carbs better than the TRX250EX carb?

The ATC and XR carbs are , quite simply, bigger than the EX unit.

At 22mm, the carb on the 250ex was not designed with performance in mind. Honda designed a small carb for this motor likely with both emissions and a user friendly power curve in mind.

06trailrdr250ex
04-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I was hoping you could give me an estimate on how fast my 06 250ex would go with a full HMF exhaust w/o quiet core, k&n air filter, outerwears prefilter, hmf jet kit, outerwears air box cover, an amr 1200+ rpm rev limiter, and 22" Tires in front and 21" tires in back

Rider-trx_250ex
04-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 06trailrdr250ex
I was hoping you could give me an estimate on how fast my 06 250ex would go with a full HMF exhaust w/o quiet core, k&n air filter, outerwears prefilter, hmf jet kit, outerwears air box cover, an amr 1200+ rpm rev limiter, and 22" Tires in front and 21" tires in back

55 Maybe? That's just a guess. Buy one of those small handheld gps units for like 100 bucks and it tells you the maximum speed you have traveled. Plus it's pretty cool to mark trails and other kool locations too.

250excrf250r
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
probly 60 but it will get 2 60 alot faster than a stock 250ex gets to 53. wit those parts u gain bottom and mid end not much top end

06trailrdr250ex
04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
ok thanks for the help, i saw a 280cc big bore kit by thumper racing, which is a possible buy for next riding season

250excrf250r
04-06-2008, 04:41 PM
ok thanks for the help, i saw a 280cc big bore kit by thumper racing, which is a possible buy for next riding season

just my 2 cents buy a bigger bike like a 300ex,350 raptor, or 400ex,ltz 400, maybe even a blaster because in my area u could one get like a 01 for 900$ to 1100$ . so buy a bigger CHAIN driven atv and put stuff on that but do u race?

06trailrdr250ex
04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
no i dont race, but i would really like to sometime in the near future because it seems like it would be a lot of fun. how about you, do you race

ryanh250ex
04-06-2008, 11:15 PM
no i dont race, but i would really like to sometime in the near future because it seems like it would be a lot of fun. how about you, do you race

Cmon fellas, this is a FAQ, not a chat room, take it to PMs or AOL IM.

To answer your question, 55 would be a good guess.

250excrf250r
04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
no i wouldnt race my 250ex unless the 280kit dura blue axle allarund elkas, new aarms, and front razrs but its just not worth doing to a 250ex

BR16250
04-12-2008, 10:09 PM
do 300ex arms fit on the 250ex???

ryanh250ex
04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by BR16250
do 300ex arms fit on the 250ex???

250X/300ex/400ex/250R a-arms do not fit a 250ex.

bigj250
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
ive gotten mines up 56 with fmf megamax jet kit filter rev box and 22in tires but i hate 22's it takes 4 ever 4 top end i run 20's now way better 4 take off

Rider-trx_250ex
09-07-2008, 06:40 PM
okay while i was jettin the carb i noticed that my 2003 250's needle only has 3 settings on it.........not 6 like you said....................

Punkmaster Flex
09-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I got a question about jetting my 2006 Honda 250EX.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for maing this thread, it really helped me making my quad faster (If you can call a 250EX 'fast' lol). I did the following steps:

1) Make sure your bike is clean prior. Turn Gas line to OFF
2) Pop the seat off
3) Remove tabs off left side plastic (left side when sitting on bike)
4) Remove tabs off airbox brackets
5) loosen clamps to snorkel and carb
6) remove crankcase breather tube (major PITA if you havent done it before)
7) Yank airbox out

But I'm stuck at:

8) remove 2 nuts holding carb to intake manifold

The two nuts are not really accessible easilly so I would like to know how you guys remove them? It would really help me as I can't do anything else right now because of those two nuts.

Also, I was planning to jet my quad this way:

Stock exhaust, no airbox lid, UNI/K&N filter: 102 main, same e-clip setting

But I'm not having those exact settings. Mine is like this:

Unbrided stock exhaust, no airbox lid + few holes in the airbox, UNI filter:

What main jet setting should I use as ince I can't adjust the e-clip setting?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

bgarrett10
01-07-2009, 09:02 PM
So can you tell me about this turbo you are talking about

ryanh250ex
01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by bgarrett10
So can you tell me about this turbo you are talking about

I got an email from you, check your email.

Honda10
01-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I am putting my 250ex back to stock anyone know the stock needle and fuel screw settings?

ryanh250ex
04-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I am putting my 250ex back to stock anyone know the stock needle and fuel screw settings?

middle groove on the e-clip, 2 turns out.

700xxmaniac
05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
middle groove on the e-clip, 2 turns out.

tell me bout the turbo to

hondariderdylan
05-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 700xxmaniac
tell me bout the turbo to

he was never able to finish the turbo build, had to sell his quad

700xxmaniac
07-01-2010, 02:27 AM
that sucks i got a 01 recon es that i got new for my 5th birthday. i have a 700xx now but i still love my recon its stock and has about 2500-3000 hours on it.. and its still runnin stong and the only thing ever done to it was the rear bearings, tires, valve adjust meat, new battery, rear brake, and starter selinoid.

i wana give it some more power like what a turbo would do.(+15hp, +10ft/lb or more). if i could know what turbo he was gona use i could do it.
ive have torn down the engine 2 times just to cheack everything and if i did put a turbo (including bigger carb and cam+spings) i would also replace the both clutches so i can run 23 or 25" tires or have custom rear diff made with a high gear ratio so it can go faster like 60+ on stock rev limmiter....

ill aslo do dyno if i start minor mods like big 3...( full pipe, intake, and jets)

my xx is alsome stock so no $$ is gona go into that maby a pclll maby... i can't imagen a turbo xx without a swing arm to extend.... ive driven a turbo rappy that was fun a hell but olny good for dunes...

ryanh250ex
10-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by 700xxmaniac
that sucks i got a 01 recon es that i got new for my 5th birthday. i have a 700xx now but i still love my recon its stock and has about 2500-3000 hours on it.. and its still runnin stong and the only thing ever done to it was the rear bearings, tires, valve adjust meat, new battery, rear brake, and starter selinoid.

i wana give it some more power like what a turbo would do.(+15hp, +10ft/lb or more). if i could know what turbo he was gona use i could do it.
ive have torn down the engine 2 times just to cheack everything and if i did put a turbo (including bigger carb and cam+spings) i would also replace the both clutches so i can run 23 or 25" tires or have custom rear diff made with a high gear ratio so it can go faster like 60+ on stock rev limmiter....

ill aslo do dyno if i start minor mods like big 3...( full pipe, intake, and jets)

my xx is alsome stock so no $$ is gona go into that maby a pclll maby... i can't imagen a turbo xx without a swing arm to extend.... ive driven a turbo rappy that was fun a hell but olny good for dunes...

I used a KKK/Borgwarner KP31 turbo. It has a integrated exhaust manifold, which would have made for some tricky fabricating (my friend who was welding it all up for me was involved in a near-fatal accident, which is partially why the project was never finished), but it was doable.

700xxmaniac
12-16-2010, 11:05 PM
i did some research and lso found a 26mmtb efi kit that i could also put... this would solve the carb problem... here look for urself

http://www.chinese-parts-canada.com/turbocharger_fuel_injection.html

perty cool stuff

PSNL05
05-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Banshee Front shock for the rear on a 2006 250EX is a HUGE upgrade over the stock shock and at a reasonable price (Ebay for $54 for a NIB shock). Bolts right into place and looks good too.