PDA

View Full Version : Removing Choke

DEAL
10-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Alright, I have read the post on the F.A.Q board and I want to remove my choke.
Should i do any jetting changes with this mod, or can i just leave my stock jetting without it running too lean and it running ****ty..
Where am i going to expect the most power increase?
Thanks.

TRAIL
10-01-2002, 09:01 PM
I went ahead and threw in a 42 pilot jet and i just pump the gas a few times and fires right up. i have my choke off too.

01_400exrider
10-01-2002, 10:20 PM
Whats removing the choke do? i usually start it without it anywayz

YZROOSTINYA
10-02-2002, 04:56 AM
increases flow through the carb.

i posted about this a few days ago

look under my name on the last couple pages.

power depends on what mods you already have. i didn't change my main, just my pilot. but i think i am gonna go up on my main again though

10-02-2002, 06:30 AM
To make life easy on yourself you really do wanna up the pilot jet to at least a 42. It's easy to do and you can only benefit from doing it..

DEAL
10-02-2002, 09:22 AM
I have grinded the welds out of my header so far, and I'm still on stock jetting, So im just wondering if it will be too lean with my choke removed.

Razorback
10-02-2002, 09:29 AM
it's doubtful that you would be required to rejet simply because of these mods. if you change your air box and/or silencer, then rejetting would be a must. your elevation will have some effect on your need to rejet or not.

imo, the best way to arrive at the answer to your question is to get some seat time on your quad after the changes. personally, i've never had any luck with plug checks. your quad will tell you if it's running right or not. look out for things like bogging, hesitation, and back firing. these types of things will tell you if you're jetted correctly.

VegasEx'r
10-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
im just wondering if it will be too lean with my choke removed.

It won't be too lean. I am still running the stock pilot, and idle-1/4 throttle is just fine. The reason for going to a larger pilot is so that it still starts when it is cold. Cold around my part of the planet is 60F, but where you are, it is much colder, so you will probably want to put in a 42, but you could also try a 40.

Blysster
10-02-2002, 09:40 AM
FreeStyle,

For the gains you will get out of removing the choke, I wouldn't do it. It's really not worth it, specially when you have'nt rejetted and when you live in NS!

Trust me you'll have a blast trying to stat that SOB this winter!