PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoat vs paint

zack221
02-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Does powdercoat weigh less than paint?I was told that paint weighs more but idk I am asking because my friend is painting his frame I told him not to waste his money on paint just get it powdercoated and he said then my frame would weigh more and i told him that powdercoat wouldnt make it weigh more but maybe i was wrong can someone clear this up for me.

WHITE SEAT
02-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm not a painter or anything but I would suspect that powdercoat weighs more than paint...
Ask Pappy, he might tell you:p

zack221
02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I thought about pm pappy but i figured i would never get a reply.

Pappy
02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
there is no appreciable difference in weight wether paint or powdercoat is used

tell your buddy to stop sucking down milk shakes and not worry about how much paint weighs...lol

zack221
02-23-2007, 09:17 PM
lol ok thanks pappy its a raptor 350 so he has to shave ever pound off he can b/c its slow.:D

Pappy
02-23-2007, 09:20 PM
confuse him even more by telling home powder coat is a form of paint...lol and then worry him with this. if he didnt strip all the original paint off his frame then he painst over top of it, it will be heavier then if it was powdercoated:devil: (im being sarcastic, we are talking ounces not pounds..lol)

zack221
02-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Alright I am going to I will have him all confused.He is to lazy to sand it and everything so it is going to come off the first ride lol and then i can laugh at him.

400exrider989
02-23-2007, 09:52 PM
sorry to ask a question in your form here Zack221 but im just cerious.

dosn't powdercoat peel of really bad once it gets chipped?
if it does get chipped then you have to powdercoat the whole thing all over again?
so if it gets chipped and peels then why would you put it on a quad where there are rocks, dirt and sticks flinging at it?

just a cerious question

thanks

Mike

Pappy
02-24-2007, 05:03 AM
actually, powdercoat, paint, chrome etc will eventually peel if the surface is chipped. moisture will get between the coating and it will lift. powder coating has more resistance to this over paint.

as to why one would powder coat? you have to have a coating wether it be paint, chrome or powder unless you want exposed metal on your parts. PC is faster, stronger and usually less expensive then other forms of paint.

another thing, please do not compare the coatings you see applied by some of the manufactures in the ATV world to levy an opinion on how well PC holds up. alot of the stuff i see is garbage, quick work done cheap. ive seen bumpers last 1 ride, nerfs fail during installation etc. IMO if these companies want to sell their part coated, they should spend the $$ to have it done right, however MOST do not.

YFZRB
02-24-2007, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
another thing, please do not compare the coatings you see applied by some of the manufactures in the ATV world to levy an opinion on how well PC holds up. alot of the stuff i see is garbage, quick work done cheap. ive seen bumpers last 1 ride, nerfs fail during installation etc. IMO if these companies want to sell their part coated, they should spend the $$ to have it done right, however MOST do not.

Amen to that. My nerfs were on for a week and looked like crap, peeling, chipped etc.

ZeroLogic
02-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I sprayed painted my 300ex frame, a amrs and swinger with pj1 paint I brought off of Rocky Mountain Atv. I completely stripped the frame, sanded all of the factory paint off. Put 3 coats of primer, let it dry for a week, then put 5 coats of the PJ1 paint. I would apply a coat every other day. Then I put 4 coats of clean coat. Let it sit for a week. Its holding up pretty well I think. Looks good too.

Antifaith
02-27-2007, 06:09 AM
The weight of the paint or powdercoating is so incredibly insignificant. You're adding what, 1/10 of a pound?

It's as absurd as someone shaving his head so he can shed off some weight and ride faster!

Chino886
02-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

I will second that! They should sub-contract out to Pappy to do all their parts! Pappy's work is second to none in my experience!

Or you could buy 07 PCed frame from Honda that looks like arse.

You could also buy pre-colored parts from companies like Alba! Some companies colors are not what you expect them to be, with Pappy, what you see is what you get! You order a red bumper from Alba...........days later it arrives at your door and you are the proud owner of a Pink bumper!:devil: