PDA

View Full Version : 400ex less weight

redexrider4290
02-23-2007, 06:16 PM
i wasn't sure where to post this but i was wandering how would you guys make a 400ex as light as possible but still be able to ride at night. How would you take off weight? and how much weight do you think you could get rid of?

thanks

Kaleigh
02-23-2007, 06:37 PM
new parts.. lighter aluminium parts.. lighter swingarm.. a-arms.. shifter.. brake lever.. all the little parts make a difference when you swap enough parts.. rims.. i find stocks are the lightest aluminuim rims you can get( I think)

I dont understand what you mean by riding night has to do with weight..

as for how much weight.. sorry I couldnt really tell you..

j450rking
02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
he means without taking off the headlights you can do alot of small stuff but it won't do alot getting aftermarket shocks makes it lighter most aftermarket a arms are lighter and some aftermarket axles are lighter and aluminum bumpers are lighter that the stock ones those are the things that make it lose the most weight

HondaEXrider22
02-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Shave plastics, shave tires, shorten handlebars, get rid of pbrake, shave grips, little things like that

Ruby Soho
02-23-2007, 07:53 PM
buying aluminum parts probably would save alot of weight

northwest Texas
02-23-2007, 07:55 PM
You can remove some of the nonessentials but if you really want to lose the weight off the quad, I don't see how it's cost effective. Unless you're 130#'s, you'd be better off losing the weight off your frame, not the quads.

j450rking
02-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
You can remove some of the nonessentials but if you really want to lose the weight off the quad, I don't see how it's cost effective. Unless you're 130#'s, you'd be better off losing the weight off your frame, not the quads.

vary true thats why i'm not worryed about making my ex lighter lol:D

kamikaze-rider
02-23-2007, 11:56 PM
loose the gut lighten up yourself it's the cheapest way to shave pounds

redexrider4290
02-25-2007, 06:54 PM
I do alot of working out and i'm probobly as light as i ever want to be (i'm about 5'9" ish around 140-150) I just always thought you could shave alot of weight off a quad i was thinking lighter exhaust,hiper wheels (if i could ever find the money), torches instead of head lights, i didn't know if they made lighter batteries or if there were parts or wires and stuff you could just get rid of and not really need.

thanks for the input i was just always curious how light you could make a 400ex and how you would go about doing it i know saving a little weight at a time will add up

thanks again

any more input?

j450rking
02-25-2007, 07:02 PM
i'm not shur but i think the after market swing arms are lighter than the stocker i know the stocker is relly heavy

northwest Texas
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
you can shed a little weight with an aftermarket exhaust but other than that, I can't think of any reason why to get rid of the weight just because. There's really not a lot of pork on there that doesn't need it.

I guess you could shave the fenders, remove heel guards, only have enough fuel to run on reserve ;) , aluminum handlebars, etc. Anything beyond that becomes cost prohibitive.

You're already a little fellow so I think you'd be dollars ahead by going into the engine for better power to weight ratio than trying to lose it [weight]