PDA

View Full Version : rev limiter

lildude
10-01-2002, 07:23 PM
i was wondering what exactly does a aftermarket rev limiter do and is it possible to remove one

me and some one else have different opinions on what exactly it is and does and i wanna see who is right

RiPPiNiTuP7
10-01-2002, 07:42 PM
From what I grasp, it allows the motor to JUST rev more, so it only works well in conjunction with highly modded motors that need the extra revs...if your quad is near stock, go with something else. As far as I know, it can't be removed, but it can be modified so it has no limiter, but I hear its "dangerous" to run it like that, because the motor has no point where it stops revving...but I'm still learning this myself, so I might have missed some stuff, but thats my understanding....

lildude
10-01-2002, 07:45 PM
thats kinda what i thought to i think it allows u to go from 9300 to around 10300 rpms or sumthin like that am i righ tcouse the person that disagrees with me says that it adds 1000 rpms but i thought that u always had it but the limiter just stopped u from getting there it dosnt add anything so am i right????

TC17
10-01-2002, 08:04 PM
i don't know about a 4 stroke reving 10300 rpm. i drag raced my 250EX against a 400EX and i was side by side cause he couldn't keep the front end down. he won. but anyway, mine topped out and the engines stops reving for a quater of a second or something. the rpm's go up and down so you don't blow up your engine.

Big - D Racing
10-01-2002, 08:34 PM
You can have it removed. Send your stock unit to Four Stroke Tech, they'll remove it for $85. There are no advantages besides you can rev higher.

TC17
10-01-2002, 08:38 PM
i wouldn't have it removed. what if you miss a shift? there goes your engine. so if you make a little mistake like missing a shift your going to waste hundreds of dollars to buy a new engine? that's crazy. i'm glad my bro's little 90 had a rev limiter on it or i would've blow the engine when i missed a shift. i was in 4th and tried shifting to a 5th but the 90 didn't have it. my friend randy who was riding with me said he smelled rings burning up. well rings and your engine are big differences! rings are like wehat 50? and engine like 300?