PDA

View Full Version : Installing Piston. Trying to get Cly + Piston on Tonight.

kalebarellano
02-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Ok, I have my engine tore down, a fresh bored cylinder (406), and a brand new 86mm wiseco. I am going to try and get the cylinder and piston installed tonight, but I have a few questions.

1. Do I put the piston on the rod, then guide it into the cyl. or do I put the piston in the cyl. then connect the rod?

2. What is the deal with rings? I have read about gapping and stuff, but nothing has been to specific. Do most people gap them or just put them on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kaleb

400eXr1d3rZ
02-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Put the piston on the rod, put the wrist through, then put the clips in (make sure there's a rag in bottom end so that if a clip falls out it won't be lost forever), then put the rings on, compress the rings and put the piston into the cylinder.

Make sure the rings are gapped correctly, i'm not sure what it's supposed to be on a 86mm piston, JE says they come pregapped but you should always check it prior to installation. Also, make sure you torque everything to specs and adjust valves properly.

kalebarellano
02-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok, I just found a little paper in my piston box that has gapping info. And my gaps are all fine.

Do I need to oil the rings before I put them on the piston and in the cylinder? I got the bottom oil ring thing on already.

I dont know what ring to put on top and which to put in the second slot. One is a copper like color the other is black. Anyone know which one to put on the top?

Do I need to use a hose clamp or something to compress the rings or can I just compress them with my hands?

Thanks

400eXr1d3rZ
02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think it matter which way the compression rings go on, just with the oil ring, make sure it's in the middle, there's two small rings "cover" the oil ring. You can compress it with your hands.

kalebarellano
02-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Should I oil the rings up?

Thanks

kalebarellano
02-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Should I put oil between the upper rod and that barrel thing? Also do the rings need oil?

Thanks

kalebarellano
02-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Ok I just found out I need to use "molybdenum oil solution" between the rod and barrel pin. Will regular engine oil be fine? What is molybdenum?

Thanks

SandNut777
02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by kalebarellano
Ok I just found out I need to use "molybdenum oil solution" between the rod and barrel pin. Will regular engine oil be fine? What is molybdenum?

Thanks

If its cold where you live run Mobile 1 15w 50 if the weather is not a factor run 20w 50 Mobile 1 Yes its automobile oil.I just put 15w 50 synthetic in mine and it runs nice a quite and No smoke.

kalebarellano
02-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I use 10W 40 I live in florida so its usually hot. But I can use that to lube the piston barrel pin?

Thanks

400eXr1d3rZ
02-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by kalebarellano
I use 10W 40 I live in florida so its usually hot. But I can use that to lube the piston barrel pin?

Thanks

Yes. No need to oil the rings.

sandspanker
03-02-2007, 09:25 PM
always put oil on the rings and on the cylinder walls. never ever put a engine together dry that is the dumbest thing i ever herd of. I know this was posted a while ago but come on do not oil the rings what are you thinking.

400eXr1d3rZ
03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by sandspanker
always put oil on the rings and on the cylinder walls. never ever put a engine together dry that is the dumbest thing i ever herd of. I know this was posted a while ago but come on do not oil the rings what are you thinking.

I didn't oil my rings, haven't had a problem yet, but I did put a tiny bit of oil on the cylinder walls.

kalebarellano
03-02-2007, 11:59 PM
I put a coat of oil on the cyl. wall and on the rings. I just fired her up last night (I was waiting on a clutch part), and she fired right up and ran great. Idled and everything.

dariusld
03-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by sandspanker
always put oil on the rings and on the cylinder walls. never ever put a engine together dry that is the dumbest thing i ever herd of.

I didn't see anyone say "put it together dry". If your going to oil the cylinder, why oil the rings?