PDA

View Full Version : How do i adjust slack in chain? (01 warrior)

GraphicDisorder
02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I just picked up an 01 warrior for my girlfriend

I noticed the chain has too much slack in it, how do I adjust this to make it tighter? Just did it on my 400ex but I thought I'd ask here first since we didn't get a manual with it.

Thanks guys

biker
02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
it's actually prett simple, loosen the two carrierbolts dont take them out just loose, then loosen the two adjustment bolts that are against the carrier hold the 12mm nut and turn the bolt clockwise too tighten the chain, make sure you tighten them equally and then snug everything back up!

GraphicDisorder
02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks ill give that a go!

GraphicDisorder
02-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok so i tightend it and it fixed the heavy slack issue but caused another issue this bike is used and it needs things well one of them chain roller, its minus one right now so when i tighted it it hits the bracket for the roller, so now I cant get it to loosen back up enough to not hit. Any ideas? Its not hitting it hard enough to even make a mark on the chain but still concerns me. We are trying to ride tomorrow just for part of the day.

Suggestions?

gotwarrior
02-25-2007, 03:11 PM
All you have to do is loosen the carrierbolts again and push it foward to loosen it up. Then reset it were you want it.

54warrior
02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
If it's tight when trying to push it back forward to loosen, you might have to sit down on your arse and kick the axle on each side of the carrier to move it forward.

GraphicDisorder
02-28-2007, 10:41 AM
I couldn't get it to move beat on it, drop it, kick it nothing would move it to loose it back up. No big deal we are pulling it all apart next week to put a new axle and barings in it. Ill get her then.

54warrior
03-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Not to discourage you, but during my first axle bearing replacement, I had to have the axle pressed out of the carrier. The bearings were siezed to the carrier and to the axle.

Good luck.

GraphicDisorder
03-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Not to discourage you, but during my first axle bearing replacement, I had to have the axle pressed out of the carrier. The bearings were siezed to the carrier and to the axle.

Good luck.

Ya im hoping that isn't the case. Its a 01.

54warrior
03-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Yeah, but based on what you've told us so far: no chain roller, unable to move the carrier housing back forward to loosen it up a bit after adjusting the excessive slack in the chain, I'd say the previous owner of this quad didn't take the best care of it.

Again, I hope, for your sake, they are not siezed. Good luck let us know how it works out.

GraphicDisorder
03-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah, but based on what you've told us so far: no chain roller, unable to move the carrier housing back forward to loosen it up a bit after adjusting the excessive slack in the chain, I'd say the previous owner of this quad didn't take the best care of it.

Again, I hope, for your sake, they are not siezed. Good luck let us know how it works out.

Ya im not saying it wont be, based on how its been kept care of I almost expect it lol.

54warrior
03-01-2007, 07:17 AM
You should be happy with this quad once you get it fixed up. I bought mine new in '96 when I was 14 years old. I have (and this is not an exagerration) around 2500 hrs on my quad. It's just now, 10 years later, starting to nickel dime me. The Warrior, IMHO, ranks in the top 5 of all time best quads built. Reliable, enough power to have alot of fun on, easy maintenance, lots of parts, etc. Don't get me wrong, it's not a 450, but it's still a great machine none the less. Mine has been rebuilt only one time, including the crank bearings.

GraphicDisorder
03-01-2007, 07:20 AM
You should be happy with this quad once you get it fixed up. I bought mine new in '96 when I was 14 years old. I have (and this is not an exagerration) around 2500 hrs on my quad. It's just now, 10 years later, starting to nickel dime me. The Warrior, IMHO, ranks in the top 5 of all time best quads built. Reliable, enough power to have alot of fun on, easy maintenance, lots of parts, etc. Don't get me wrong, it's not a 450, but it's still a great machine none the less. Mine has been rebuilt only one time, including the crank bearings.

Ya we ordered about 600-700 in parts that should get us close to new other than motor. Then we will look at motor work also just to freshen it up ya know.

GraphicDisorder
03-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Well the axle came right out, barrings on the other hand I doubt are gonna come out I didn't get into trying to hard. I took the carrier off and beat on them a few times but gave up for the night.

GraphicDisorder
03-04-2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.graphicdisorder.com/bstuff/quad/IMG_4043s.jpg

http://www.graphicdisorder.com/bstuff/quad/IMG_4044s.jpg