PDA

View Full Version : 08 Yfz

BlueArmyYFZ450
02-22-2007, 07:11 PM
HEy everybody, look at the pictures of Bill BAllances YFZ in the Dealer Show pics, the bottom of the frame by the a arms is completly different then current yfzs......its narrower just like the kfx 450.

NEW frame design for 08?

honda4life72
02-22-2007, 07:17 PM
all i see is 07's :confused:

coolguy8769
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
lookie lookie

sure looks narrow to me.....
looks pretty sick but still not aluminum

http://www.atvriders.com/gallery/2007indydealerexpo2photogallery/images/KE2F0743.jpg

BlueArmyYFZ450
02-22-2007, 08:18 PM
yea thats whatim talkin about, thats quite a bit of a difference compared to the current frames..... i wonder if this is gunna make it to production?

Pappy
02-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Isnt one of Ballances jobs for Yamaha to test out new things? Id suspect this is one of them new things. And yes, its legal;)

1fst400
02-22-2007, 08:21 PM
whats is the advantage of a narrow frame?

Bump steer? and is that little bit of a diffrence event noticible.

WhiteYFZ
02-22-2007, 08:36 PM
^^ able to use longer a arms which allow more shock travel i beleive.:cool:

IOWAracer
02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
not saying anything on you pappy but how is it legal one thing about production racing is the disign has to be on the show room floor i could be wrong but idk i dont think it is legal

Dave400ex
02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
From my understanding that is a modified current YFZ frame. They are allowed to move the a-arm pivots under the rules.

*Fuel tanks are limited to a 4-gallon maximum capacity. OEM motor and matching frame combination model required. Engine modifications, frame reinforcements, and frame modifications creating longer rear-wheel travel or altering front A-arm and shock pivot point locations, are permitted.*

Pappy in that picture there you can see the upper arm is still the long bolt, not a honda style setup.

Pappy
02-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by IOWAracer
not saying anything on you pappy but how is it legal one thing about production racing is the disign has to be on the show room floor i could be wrong but idk i dont think it is legal

i believe it has to do with NOT moving the upper shock mount. Other then that I dont see where it states anything about changing the production frame rails. I am pretty sure Bill wouldnt do something so obvious unless it was cleared for competition. One could argue the lrear shock linkages are illegal i geuss as well...?

Dave, this is the first pic i have seen of it, looks like the upper tabs were changed from stock though.

STEVENJANNA
02-22-2007, 08:46 PM
I saw that photo in the dealer show coverage. The one thing you can't see from the pictures is the rake angle of the lower frame. If Yamaha incorporates a steeper rake and narrows the lower tubes, I don't care if they make it out of aluminum. At least its a step in the right direction.

STEVENJANNA
02-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Are the GNCC production rules the same as GNC production rules?
If they are then that isn't a production frame geometry and is illegal.

Pappy
02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
MACHINE ELIGIBILITY AND CLASSIFICATION:

1. Production Rule (ATV): OEM motor and matching frame combination model required. Engine modifications, frame reinforcements and frame modifications to permit longer rear-wheel travel are permitted.

Fuel tanks are limited to a 4-gallon maximum capacity. OEM motor and matching frame combination model required. Engine modifications, frame reinforcements, and frame modifications creating longer rear-wheel travel or altering front A-arm and shock pivot point locations, are permitted.*

Thise are the only two rules concerning pro atv chassis in their rulebook

IOWAracer
02-22-2007, 09:47 PM
im sure its legal if he is racing that bike but i want sure just seemed wier cause as production rules have always been said as must be on the show room florr is just what i was thinking idk

Johnny & Monica
02-22-2007, 09:56 PM
When do the protests start?:rolleyes: :blah:

STEVENJANNA
02-23-2007, 06:51 AM
It's absolutely illegal for mx.
ATVA Rulebook
Article 1.9(f)
Engine mounting location, steering head, control arm (a-arm) mounting point, swingarm pivot point, and rear suspension mounting point must be the same as the original production model.

cletusEX
02-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
ATVA Rulebook
Article 1.9(f)
Engine mounting location, steering head, control arm (a-arm) mounting point, swingarm pivot point, and rear suspension mounting point must be the same as the original production model.

Good thing he races XC then!:D There has been a lot of discussion involving the frame. Supposedly he did it not Yamaha and it is legal to race in the Pro GNCC class.

Pappy
02-23-2007, 06:55 AM
ATVA Rulebook
Article 1.9(f)

well then, its a good thing Bill just happens to run in the GNCC series now isnt it:p

Pappy
02-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by cletusEX
Good thing he races XC then!:D There has been a lot of discussion involving the frame. Supposedly he did it not Yamaha and it is legal to race in the Pro GNCC class.

dont you get any ideas, no need to shorten your quad via the tree smack method:blah:

cletusEX
02-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
dont you get any ideas, no need to shorten your quad via the tree smack method:blah:

Yeah I wonder if a bent frame makes a quad illegal. I have seem some twisted up junk sitting on the line before a race.:p

Pappy
02-23-2007, 07:06 AM
im looking forward to what comes from all of this. seeing this drastic of a change on such a prominant racers quad should mean serious progress, especially so close to the start of another championship hunt.

Tommy 17
02-23-2007, 07:31 AM
another reason its good to have the 2 a-arms close together is they are closer tho where the tie rods mount to the steering stem... when they bought mount at the same radius the arch of the a-arm and wheel movement is exactly the same between the a-arms and the tie rods... when this length is the same there is no change in toe in or toe out and the quad handles much better... ur front end geometry don't change when ur in ruff condiitons like whoops or breaking bumps...

STEVENJANNA
02-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
well then, its a good thing Bill just happens to run in the GNCC series now isnt it:p
I know who Bill Ballance is. I was just pointing out that the rules for GNCC and ATVA mx are different. That is all:macho

A A R O N
02-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I saw that photo in the dealer show coverage. The one thing you can't see from the pictures is the rake angle of the lower frame. If Yamaha incorporates a steeper rake and narrows the lower tubes, I don't care if they make it out of aluminum. At least its a step in the right direction.

The picture doesn't show that, but that is exactly what was done. The two lower frame tubes were angled toward each other behind the a-arm mounts. The rake is also greater.

The changes help with the handling of the quad in corners, without adding extra width to the front end.

.... i was showed in person by somebody who built a frame like this for him.....

jb500ex
02-23-2007, 05:26 PM
bill did this on his own, it has nothing to do with yamaha so don't expect too see it in 08