PDA

View Full Version : Axle sliding side to side slightly

BlasterEaten250
02-22-2007, 07:00 PM
My axle is sliding side to side about 1/8th of an inch. My locknuts are tight and I just replaced the axle bearings about 6 months ago. Is it possible my bearings wore out already? My axle doesnt move up and down just side to side. I am clueless, do I need to get new bearings again?:confused:

400eXr1d3rZ
02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Do you think you could have knocked something out of place?

BlasterEaten250
02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
about a month ago this thing was knocked out of place a little, one of the sides was sticking out about 1/2 inch. I just tapped it back in lightly. Also a few weeks ago my locknuts came a little loose. I think they where only loose for about half an hour of riding though. I really think I need new bearings, but wouln't my axle move up and down too if I did?

BlasterEaten250
02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Here's another picture, it's the sliverish goldish round thing that i'm talking about on the end right where the axle goes into the swingarm

BlasterEaten250
02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
here is the link to the inside view of the final drive if that helps anybody http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/hondaparts/results_parts_details?mv_session_id=ygIVnPD8&mv_pc=264&se=pg_d_id%3d465%20and%20pg_my_id%3d109

Bigbadfords
02-22-2007, 09:08 PM
I could be wrong here, but if I were you I would check and make sure your carrier isnt worn out. Im not sure if that would make your axle slide from side to side but you never know.

HPIcamaross
03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Are there locknuts on either side...i had some problem on my 400ex...just tightend the lock nuts...one goes along the brake caliper, and the otherone goes toward the right rear wheel....one of them tightens it...and the other keeps that one locked

300ex#5
03-12-2007, 07:22 PM
i'm pretty sure you are wrong when you say for the loc nut that one goes toward the brake calipar and the other toward the right wheel..the correct way is to tighten the big nut as much as u can toward the right wheel, then the skinnier one tightens into the big one to keep it tight.

I would look at your carrier and make sure its all good like buddy said, thats what was wrong with mine. and a little trick to keep ur axle nut tight is to wrap in in duct tape once u have it tight..after all it is the handy man's secret weapon

redline400ex
03-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Sounds like your axel wasn't in all the way, and your bolts weren't staying tight...If there new bearings and your axel isn't worn you should almost press the axel to the carrier, or use a rubber mall. You maybe should take the axel and bearings to a machinest and get your axel redone where your bearings ride on, there may be a little play there but if it doesn't go up and down I doubt that... Take it all apart and start over, use locktight on your axel nuts, make sure you clean and lube your axel carrier, and make sure your bolts that clamp down from your swingarm tightening your carrier are not stripped, if they are the best way is to retap and buy new bolts...hope that helps the rearends on our 400ex's can be a pain...lol

I'm actually waiting for my new double bearing carrier from the states as we speak, hopefully get it in a week or so....

BlasterEaten250
03-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I opened it up about a week ago, turned out that one of the axle bearings exploded (probably from a loose locknut) I got new bearings and it seems to be working good now. Thanks for all the help guys and that duct tape idea is awesome!