PDA

View Full Version : Stumped

pigpin
02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
alright, got a 2000 426ex, 13:1, stage III hotcam, full curtis sparks exhuast, K&N, 165mainjet, 40pilotjet, needle on 3rd notch. recently the bike had become worse and worse to crank and got where it wouldnt idle at all, eventualy it got where it would never crank unless u roll it off and never idle, then the timing chain jumped off, so i tore it completly down, replaced all the valves, new HD timing chain, headgasket, cylinder gasket, all that jazz, went to fire it up, and it sputered a few times, then just spinn over , so i did the usual, rolled it off, run it to make sure no leaks, everythign checked out, switch it off, still want crank or idle, i dont know what to do with it, im out of ideas and sick of tring stuff that dont work!!!!

Anyone having this problem?????? or know possibly how to fix it, maybe bad cdi box????? but i wouldnt think so, its either bad or good, and it runs soooo.... IDK

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

ZSNOW
02-22-2007, 07:04 PM
im thinking a bad cdi or to much compression? i dunno...or even the wrong teeth on the cam chain and sprokets

pigpin
02-22-2007, 07:09 PM
the bike use to crank fine, on a freash battery, but i just charged the battery all afternoon, so its good to go, and i figured with the cdi, it will either work or not work, thats how most electrical stuff is, but idk, like i siad, im outta ideas and tired of messing with it!!!!

Johnny B
02-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Check the compression. i worked on a suzuki quad runner 160. and it would not start unless you bump started it. it ran OK but the compression was low. i put new rings in it and bingo. starts every time you hit the button now.

400eXr1d3rZ
02-23-2007, 01:28 PM
You sound WAY lean, bump the main to about 172 and a 45 pilot.

pigpin
02-23-2007, 03:08 PM
installed the 45 today, seemed to help a little, atleast now after being rolled off and warmed up, if i hold it wide open while spinning it over it will crank, but still want idle, and at 1/8 throttle down runs like the choke is on..... i dont know, any suggestions??????

keep goin bigger on pilot????

400eXr1d3rZ
02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Richen up the needle, 1/8 throttle is the needle I believe. Check the plug also.

quad97
02-23-2007, 04:25 PM
make sure there is no water in the carb or the gas tank. you would not believe the number of machines I have worked on that wouldn't run due to this problem.

I worked on a banshee one time that had a bad CDI and sometimes it would run and sometimes it wouldn't. Swap yours with someone elses and that will tell you right away if it is bad

also if the battery is going bad it doesn't matter how much you charge it because it will drain right away use a volt meter to make sure the battery holds a charge.

250X_project
02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
The needle isn't effected until about 1/4 throttle. 1/8 is still on the pilot. I would have to say a 45 pilot is big enough.

If it's not turning fast enough to fire- Maybe it runs rough at low throttle because it is trying to charge the battery.

If it just won't start with a 100% charged battery, working starter, and good STOCK CDI etc.- You probably have low compression. Did you have the valve seats re-cut for the new valves, than the two surfaces mated together? Also did you adjust the valves when everything was put back together? IS the CDI stock?

First I would test the battery and the compression before I even bothered with anything else.

Hope I helped..

Honda#4
02-24-2007, 08:52 AM
maybe try a 50 pilot once, that might get it to idle decent.

250X_project
02-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Even after you pop-start by rolling it, it won't idle? Not even when warm?

Maybe your throttle cable needs to be adjusted. I had the oposite problem with mine. It wouldn't idle down even with the idle screw almost out. After adjusting the cable it was fine.

A 45 pilot is pretty big for a 426, but it sounds you may even need bigger...

Black R/T
02-25-2007, 09:29 AM
i had a curtis sparks CDI on my 440 when i put the 13:1 piston and i didnt get it to run right till i bought the dyna-tek and advanced the timing.

pigpin
02-25-2007, 06:28 PM
nope, not even after being rolled off and warmed up, i think im gettin it close, i adjusted the air/feul screw a little, and now i can get it to crank, still have to hold it wide open and catch it just right, and i was told it has a "high rev cdi", so i dont know, hopefully soon my buddy will bring his over and i can just swap his stock stuff until something fixes it.

250X_project
02-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds like your saying it's just not turning over fast enough to fire. Your batt. might not be fully charged or the "high rev" CDI may be a cheap knock off from a stock XR250 box that needs more RPMS to spark and fire.

Do you have a high amp batt. charger or a boaster pack to get it to turn it over faster?

pigpin
02-26-2007, 07:33 PM
well, the bigger i go in pilot jets the better it gets, although somebody mentioned sounds like i have an air leak, and i think that maybe my problem, it use to idle, but with excess air it kinda drounds it out, so imma make sure everything is sealed off, then go from there