View Full Version : Upgrading 400ex suspension?

eliasxr400
02-22-2007, 06:05 PM
What do you guys think of the iShock i4500 Front Suspension kit ? "The i4500 is a complete front suspension system similar to the i5500 only with the more cost effective P51 Non-reservoir iShock instead of the F8."

I found one on ebay for $700

Are these set ups OK?
Im 230lb, are they good for my weight?
What shock do I put on the rear to match?

I dont race but do ride tracks alot, not a hole lot of jumping. most of my time is spend woods riding and pit riding. The plus 2" should'nt be a problem in the woods. I ride with a few LT-450's and they have no probs on the same trails.

Before I saw these I wanted to get Works A-T steelers. I found the Works steelers w/o rezzis, Lonestar +2 a-arms, and Works Quadstar with rezzis in the rear for $1600 on MotoJoe.com. Its like $1800 with rezzis in the front. $1900 with the Ultracross instead of the Quadstar.

To widen the rear I am going to start with G-Force Extended Rear Wheel Hubs for $80 untill I bend the stock axle.

Whats the best bang for the buck?

northwest Texas
02-22-2007, 08:15 PM
You sound just like me i.e. weight/riding/etc and I went with Works G Series shocks up front and they made a huge difference over stock. I did longer arms at the same time and that was one of the best things I did to my EX. I couldn't believe how much better it rode and then I came across a used TCS rear shock I couldn't say no to and the difference was just as great.

I just ordered a full set of Works G series for my b-i-l from Colby for a great price after he gave up on his Elka's.

I haven't missed not having rezzie's up front and the added adjustments. Mine are just plain ol triple rate and the ride is nothing short of great.

As for the iShocks, don't know anything about them personally but I don't think you'd really need the rezzies for your riding conditions.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-23-2007, 07:44 AM
The Ishock products will work good for what you are doing. There are a lot of different setups available, you have to look at your budget and the performance gains you are getting for the money. You would be happy with both the Ishock or the works

hondaracer57
02-23-2007, 08:29 AM
joshg has brand new works tripple rate front and duel rate rear for 1100 and he has LSR +2 a-arms for $450..forsale in the honda parts section...i just figured id tell u he has some really good deals on other stuff too and most is brandnew...hope i helped

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=283774&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

eliasxr400
02-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I talkes to Colby at C&D Racing. He suggested a rear rebuild-$250, Works A-t Steelers up front-$420, and Houser plus 2s-$590.
Im going to send my rear shock out tomorrow and order the A-arms and works shocks.