PDA

View Full Version : full vs slipon

js3350z
02-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I have an 04 400ex and am looking for more power. I am pretty set on HMF but which should I get slip on or full system...

I ride in the woods, never any intention of anything other then woods. The only time I think I would need hp rather then torque is on a 2 mile straight running with railroad tracks.

maybe doing other performance in the future, is there anything you guys suggest with the pipe? thanks

hornetgod13
02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
If you plan on doing any future motor mods than a Full system is the way to go. If all you plan to do is exhaust and air intake mods than a Slip On is perfect for you.

SandNut777
02-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Full system is the way to go. With the head pipe and the tail pipe you will get the most flow. The HMF is a good Exhaust system to but if you are not sold on it ProCurcuit is nice to.There are alot of good 1's out there read reviews and they will tell you what 1 gives the best kind of power for what you are looking for Low to Mid. Mid to High.Good Luck.I just picked up a ProCurcuit headpipe and T-4 Tailpipe up and i love them Great alaround Power gain. No pics yet though.Of the new exhaust anyway.

oldskoolex400
02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
get the slip on and a used set of front elka's

redneckrider14
02-22-2007, 04:56 PM
I am in the same boat i have a 05 and i don't know to get a slip on or full. I just found this dyno chart and the full system gives u more horsepower but it gives u the same torqe according to it i don't know who that makes sense though.

js3350z
02-22-2007, 05:11 PM
do you have the link to that chart, I think I saw the same one as you, but couldn't find it again

thanks for the input

I was trying to figure out between suspension or exhaust, but I don't really feel limited by my suspension right now, so maybe down the line...

redneckrider14
02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
It was in an email that someone sent me but i could send it to u if u want to give me and email.

oldskoolex400
02-22-2007, 07:00 PM
none of us will really tell a big difference comparing a full sys vs a slip on, just depends on if you want to say my quad has a full system pipe, is it worth $250 or more to you to say that, to me no its not, the only reason my old 400ex had a full yosh system was i got a deal on a brand new one and it was a little more than a s/o so i couldnt turn it down

js3350z
02-22-2007, 07:24 PM
js3350z@comcast.net

thanks

js3350z
02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
I am probably going to be ordering the slip on hmf tomorrow, I will probably then be ordering a front bumper and new tires for the rear from rockymountain so is there anything I should order or do to supplement the pipe

and what jets 42 pilot, and 155 main

thanks

js3350z
02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I guess I should try c&d first since they support this site

BossmanEX
02-22-2007, 08:29 PM
The whole point of changing your exhaust is to allow your machine to breathe better. It wont breathe any better with a slipon than it would with the stock baffle removed. It will sound and look better with a slipon but thats about it. A full system includes a bigger headpipe which allows more airflow. If youre after performance gains I would reccomend the full system, K&N (or other aftermarket) filter and the appropriate rejet. Maybe a powerlid or the removal of the stock lid. That would pretty much cover all of the bolt on bases.

oldskoolex400
02-23-2007, 02:22 PM
The whole point of changing your exhaust is to allow your machine to breathe better. It wont breathe any better with a slipon than it would with the stock baffle removed. It will sound and look better with a slipon but thats about it. A full system includes a bigger headpipe which allows more airflow. If youre after performance gains I would reccomend the full system, K&N (or other aftermarket) filter and the appropriate rejet. Maybe a powerlid or the removal of the stock lid. That would pretty much cover all of the bolt on bases.

wrong, you might think that, it sounds correct, but look at dyno charts, you might notice a little extra horsepower and a tad more torque, either way your not going to tell a difference, on a 300ex or something like that you would be correct, but im gonna have to say no on a 400ex, 400ex headers are pretty good stock, clean up the factory welds with a grinder and you are set to go, its not worth the extra $250.00

JDMThoughts
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
If your not gonna open the motor up then leave it at a slip-on. I thought about this for a while, and seeing I plan on opening the motor up a full exhaust would be the best thing. If your gonna do it... do it right the first time. You say your not doing much else other than woods riding. Slip-on with new filter, maybe a lid and re-jet seems like the best thing for your setup. You might wanna gear it down some too. I am in the process of doing new sprockets and chain, it was setup for a 16T but my motor is close to stock and just makes my acceleration take a dump.I am really curious to see how the bike would be with a 14T even though I bought a new 15T. HMF sport slip on would definitely be the way to go. Very good low end muffler. If you check in the dyno section on this site there is one of an 02 400EX and they do a comparison of the HMF slip vs. WB Full. I believe the guy picked up something like 4ft/lbs over stock with the slip on. I think 2hp as well

400exstud
02-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
wrong, you might think that, it sounds correct, but look at dyno charts, you might notice a little extra horsepower and a tad more torque, either way your not going to tell a difference, on a 300ex or something like that you would be correct, but im gonna have to say no on a 400ex, 400ex headers are pretty good stock, clean up the factory welds with a grinder and you are set to go, its not worth the extra $250.00

I agree. The slip-on is not the same as a stock silencer with the baffel removed. The 400ex stock head pipe is pretty good.

With a full system, IMO you lose a little bottom end.