PDA

View Full Version : questions about burgard a-arms

playerz
02-22-2007, 02:22 PM
ok i got two questions i bought a set of +3 Burgard standard travel a-arms i was wondering if you needed to grease the ball joints and if so how, i dont see any grease fittings.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9849/img0291to8.jpg

also do i have my tie rods on right or should they be on the top of the bracket ive got it under right now. you can see what i mean in the picture.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5259/img0292zi8.jpg

sorry if these are dumb questions

Pappy
02-22-2007, 02:46 PM
tie rod ends look correct

no, you can not grease them, replace once a season, more if you ride a ton. looks like you could square up the upper ball joint, it shoulndt be off angle.

there are no dumb questions, but if you hang around here long enough you will see a few that are borderline..lol

hendershot106
02-22-2007, 02:49 PM
u can grease them- but its not worth the hassle really---u have to pull the clip ring apart the holds the seal on and clean the old grease out and replace with new grease--it is time consuming but can be done----!

Pappy
02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
u can grease them- but its not worth the hassle really---u have to pull the clip ring apart the holds the seal on and clean the old grease out and replace with new grease--it is time consuming but can be done----!

removing the dust seal and refilling with grease will not grease the balljoint!

playerz
02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
yeah ive been here for like 2 years but never talked, thanks for the repies i can get my bike back together now

hendershot106
02-22-2007, 02:55 PM
hmmk how u figure that???????--

Pappy
02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
lets look at one with the dust seal removed, it had been in service for a season. there was a small amount of grease, but not much. infact, even when BRAND new there is very little grease in this type of ball joint. what you see is from the grease working its way out of the ball joint over time.

hendershot106
02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
i see what your saying--

Pappy
02-22-2007, 03:05 PM
now you could try and fill the dust boot with grease and hope it would work its way into the ball joint which i am sure a small amount would eventually get there. however, the ball joint itself is shot and adding grease really isnt worth the effort. if you ride any normal amount, this style of ball joint should be replaced annually, and there is ample grease from the manufacture to last easily for that time span.

infact, you run a high risk of damaging the dust boot and they are not easily obtaioned for replacement.

hendershot106
02-22-2007, 03:10 PM
okk okk i get what your saying-- but gravity tells me at least on the bottom ball joints that the grease will infact work its way inside the balljoints.