PDA

View Full Version : tire question

loc0gring0
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
i have a 450r and i ride a lot of trails and motocross. i was wondering what would be a good tire and size..i was thinking the holeshot hd but afraid there gonna wear fast. was thinking about kendas but dont know to much about them so im looking for input as to what i should do.. i can go 2 sets of cheaper tires or get 1 good set for all around riding.. the razor 2 are a lil outta my price range... but let me know what u would doo

Tater049
02-24-2007, 11:15 AM
I have the Holeshot HD's and they work really well. I have had two pairs of HD's and they are the best trail tires i have tried. I used 20's in the rear and they work amazing. Go for the HD's you wont be sorry.

m.h.s.c.#527
02-24-2007, 11:37 AM
i would say razr 2 they will last long and if that doesnt change ur mind the razr 1 is not that bad the sidewall is not as good a the 2s

88blaster
02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
HD's do wear pretty fast, at least on my friends raptor 660

Tater049
02-24-2007, 12:45 PM
What kind of riding does your friend do? Because, the HD is a 6 Ply tire.

Black R/T
02-25-2007, 12:25 AM
you say you ride trails and MX. i cant recommend using the HD unless youre mainly on sloppy, rutted, rooted trails. they are heavy. they are still my favorite tire and i can get traction ANYWHERE with them, they just make the rear of your quad sluggish. the Kenda Klaw XCR in a 20x11x9 would be perfect for your riding needs (granted you like the tire of course). or a razr, gncc, theres alot out there to pick from.

jonboy
02-25-2007, 01:26 AM
The 6 ply has nothing to do with the wear rating of a tire. It is the 6 layers of ply's that make up the strength and thickness of the tire. From my experiences running Hare scrambles with the different tires, all of the ITP tires have a soft rubber compound. They actually wear off in little crumbs. The HD's are great until you get about 2 races on them. The Maxxis Razor2 is a very good tire and has great wear to them as well as good traction but, they are very pricey. I like the Kenda Knarly HT the best for their long wear life and traction. The Kendas also are 6 ply and Rocky mtn sells them for $45 a tire.

Tater049
02-25-2007, 07:06 AM
exactly they are strong and though and thick. The more thickness a tire has, the most you have wait for it to wear down. If you have a soft compound tire, it is going to wear pretty easily, because it is not thick and if you lose the slightest amountof traction its not good for the tire.

Flynbryan19
03-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I would not recommend the Knarly HT's. When new they were nice, but as soon as the square wears off they loose their drive and spin ALOT. Also, I did not find their sidewalls to be very strong.

dg26
03-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Tater049, the compound of the tire has nothing to do with thickness. The compound is the chemical characteristics of the rubber that dictate how hard or soft the rubber is, a soft compound tire has more "stickyness" but wears more quickly, therefore a hard compound tire has less stick to it but doesn't wear as quickly. I have found that ITP's are all soft compound tires. I have had alot of luck with Kenda's Knarlys & Klaws, they wear well and their mx tires have plenty of bite.

procircuit406ex
03-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Razr, Razr2, HD, GNCC...thats what I would look in to.

400EXTRA
03-20-2007, 03:55 PM
any type of holeshot