PDA

View Full Version : (newbe)Do I need a whole pipe kit

ChEX
10-01-2002, 02:23 PM
I have a 00 400 EX, should I get the whole kit or just a slip on silencer? I will have a cloth airbox top, k&N, and rejet kit also. What are some good brANDS?

Thanks

sandman
10-01-2002, 02:32 PM
depends on how much money you are willing to spend..

I prefer full vs slipon

just my .02

Blysster
10-01-2002, 02:55 PM
Unless you plan on getting a high compression piston, cam, big bore kit, and all those bigger mods you really won't need an aftermarket pipe.

The only advantage you will get from it without any serious mods is better looks. You can grind the welds inside your stock headpipe and you will get as much gain out of that with your mods as buying another head pipe.

For the best brands, well, it depends if you want something quiet or not. There is all kinds of good ones out there. I personally like White brothers silencers, they have good power gains, sound good, and are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps..

ryanh250ex
10-01-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ChEX
I have a 00 400 EX, should I get the whole kit or just a slip on silencer? I will have a cloth airbox top, k&N, and rejet kit also. What are some good brANDS?

Thanks

if you're looking for the most possible power, i'd get a full system. you would have to shell out a few more bucks for one, but you'll get better response from a complete system. I'd go with a White Brothers E-series system or a Pro Circuit T-4 system. I believe both of these systems are tunable (i know the t-4 is, i'm not 100% sure about the WB) for both power and sound. Is your riding area sound restricted? if so, i'd go with a pipe that wont shatter ear drums from 50 yrds away. i've also heard that the FMF Powerbomb (known to some as, ahem, the "Powerbong" lol) is pretty good. unofrtunately, most of the pipes available for the 400 are relatively louder than stock. Like sandman said, it really depends on how much cash you're willing to spend and where you want the hp gains. let us know what your riding situation is (in terms of sound restrictions) and how much cash you're willing to cough up.hope this helps ya
Ryan

bmf400ex
10-01-2002, 03:18 PM
for the most part a pipe is a pipe, if u want more flow, its gonna be louder, just get a slip on if u want a different sound and looks. personally i wouldn't buy a full system unless u do internal engine mods. i personally am a fan of yoshimura but that stems from my streetbike addiction.

MR. HONDA EX'S
10-01-2002, 03:20 PM
If your not doing big motor work, don't spend the money on a full. Just get a slip-on. I've got a HMF (love it, great bottom, good mid, and a little top) K&N filter, and a 39mm FCR carb. This made a h*ll power diff. It's a different bike now. And I don't have a cam or pistion yet!!! Also the HMF is super loud, by cool.:devil