PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex for Rancher

moose1
02-21-2007, 06:25 PM
I thinking of trading my 05 Rancher for a 2000 400 ex with 440 kit,dg nerfs,renthal driveline,yoshimura full exhaust,maier plastic,itp auminum wheels,razors, and a few other mods. My question from this biased panel is do you think it is a smart trade giving the year differance? Utility quads are great and fun but NO SPEED!

400exrider720
02-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I went from a 2003 trailboss 330 to a 2000 400ex and thought the same thing. the only thing I would be worried about is how well the motor was built. I would say go for it because I love my 400 and its alot more fun than my utility was.

dixon_cass
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
the 400 probaly isnt werth as much as the rancher but much more fun. i would deffinatly find out who built the motor and if its reliable. thats the key point. but if its a good 400 i say go for it. i had a rancher and you are right they arent much fun to rip on. good luck with your decission!!!

blasterandy
02-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Go for it. Also make sure you know how to ride a clutched quad. You may not like that as much because of the power and most likely you will have to run race gas or 93 pump. But trust me you maybe able to go through mud with that rancher but you can hydro over it with the ex :D

northwest Texas
02-21-2007, 07:59 PM
It all depends on what type of riding you like. If you like blazing down the trails at speed then the EX would be a good choice but if you like to smell the roses (I know you said no speed) then the Rancher might be better.

I wouldn't necessarily let the age be too much an issue. They've dropped down to the lower $2k and they aren't really going to go much lower.

Even with the mods listed, they aren't going to add a great deal to the value.

Selland74
02-21-2007, 08:29 PM
i think the 400ex is a lot more fun. my brother has an 06 rancher 350. like you said great machine it fun and everything for climbing over stuff and mud (and through ponds:D ) but it just has no power.

i think you may be able to sell the rancher for more than you could buy an ex for and be money ahead. 4x4's tend to hold their value better than sportbikes from what ive seen.

slodsm
02-21-2007, 08:43 PM
I agree with what the other guys said. The 400 is going to be more fun, but the overall value is going to be lower. I would either try to get some money on top of the trade or sell the Rancher outright and buy a 400.

But the sport quads are a blast to ride.;:D

Outlaw 50
02-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Keep the Rancher for the mud and buy a NEW sport quad.

Take it from someone who has both, the sport quad gets the most abuse and I would feel sorry for anyone who bought it used.

The 2000 ex has been ridden like you want to ride it since 2000. Thats 7yrs of abuse. It's an air cooled engine and very prone to needing top end rebuild after this many years.

Another option is to change the jetting, air filter, and pipe on the Rancher. The quad will respond well to the increased flow and give you a more sporty feel power wise.

Also the suspension would benefit greatly from a new set of Progressive shocks and a long travel suspension kit from http://www.hebcodistributing.com/pages/31225pag.html

firefighterjosh
02-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Since its only 2wd I would trade him if it is nice and try to get them to give you a little money.

BTW not all Utes are slow;)

blasterandy
02-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't think of putting one of those sketchy long travel jerry rigs on my quad :(. Just get to trx and used a arm combo. Plenty of people would be willing to sell you a set of lightly used arms and trx shocks on here for a good price. :)
I stand by my original point.

Convert
02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Moose if you can sell the Rancher I know someone that has a 05 EX with 30 hours on it for 4000.00 in Greensboro,NC

Rancher2005
02-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I've owned both machines. The rancher is definately more versatile. It's nimble enough to handle small jumps but definately lacks speed. It makes up for it in the 4x4 department though. It depends on your riding style mostly. The 400ex is a fast fun 2 wheel drive, but depending on where you live the 2 wheel drive could limit your riding season. I think that you are taking a big hit on the pocket if you do decide to trade up. I would sell the rancher if anything. It's worth way more than the trade.

Rancher2005
02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I didn't notice until now that the rancher is also 2wd. I'd say go for a newer 400ex