PDA

View Full Version : how many like their quad stock(engine)

bmf400ex
10-01-2002, 01:27 PM
i personally think there is plenty of usable power, but then again i am not a racer of any kind. i like to climb hills and do stunts, most of the time its trail riding and some jumps.

433rd
10-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Never enough in my eyes........

forum
10-01-2002, 02:03 PM
Not for mx their ain't. for just messing around. any power is ok. but its allways nice to have more. Mind you usable power is better then alot of hard to use power

stocktires
10-01-2002, 03:46 PM
I likes ta go fast, and Tha EX motor just wont cut it for any racing except XC.
The R motor isnt too bad, but still....ESR here I come!

Sick0
10-01-2002, 03:50 PM
The motor is balless for racing. And you havn't gone up that steep of a hill or one thats all sand. Because you go on really steep his the 400ex just doesn't have the power to make it up some hills.I think the 400 has a lot of usable power and its fun to ride.

quadbiker
10-01-2002, 04:05 PM
300ex. It seems alright for now.......It's my first 4-wheeler.......I think St. Anthony is gonna torture it.......we'll see........

Nausty
10-01-2002, 04:32 PM
its fine for me most of the time but the only times I NEED more power is when i'm doing those 4th gear uphill jumps trying to accerlate. Personally I think the 400ex needs to be geared wider though.

stocktires
10-01-2002, 04:42 PM
The ex was designed for rec riders mainly. I'd like the motor if it was liquid cooled, or even just DOHC.
Its got decent power, but the motor isnt really worth fully modding it in my opinion

Steven
10-01-2002, 05:58 PM
I think its got great usable power for playing around. The powerband is sooooo tractable and predictable.

Ride a Banshee or 250R and you will find them more of a handfull and less tractible but the better choise for climbing up long sand hills.

Even with my 440EX, I still want to buy a Banshee or 250R for that explosive power potential.

Lets face it, a well moded Banshee makes around 60 HP at the wheels! A fairly well of 440EX might make around 40 HP at the wheels. The EX would be more fun on the track and the Shee would be more fun on the dunes and hill climbes.

Thats my experience anyway.

Steve

quadbiker
10-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Well, yeah. Go out to Little Sahara in Utah. You see a lot of Banshees, people from SLC hauling ***** up Sand Mountain. I don't think a Banshee is as versatile as an ex, though.

DarkStarRacing
10-01-2002, 06:12 PM
i need more power because the tracks i ride at are more for dirtbikes with tight turns into 40ft gaps, so i def need more bottom end power but the ex engine is very versitile, and i love it

eldoexrider01
10-01-2002, 08:16 PM
i wasnt that impressed wit my quads power at first. not stock atleast . it might of been cuz of my friends sayin how bad it was and everything. it wasnt what i was expecting.

400exdad
10-01-2002, 08:53 PM
The 400 has enough power in stock form to be fun to ride, but it's when you are simply outmatched in the straights, long uphills or in the sand that you wish you had more. To be honest, in the sand it was a DOG. One night at LS I watched a Banshee play on the side of dune. He could go up and even stop and take off again on the side of the dune. It showed the awesome power and RPM they are capable of. Getting back to the 400....Grinding the welds and modding the muffler made a big difference in the way it revved. I just switched back to my 15T on the front from a 14T and it did great in the woods. I was suprised and impressed. However, I think what was really happening was it was a little slick and it allowed the tires to spin a little easier, and allowing the motor to appear more powerful than it was. In dry conditions, the 406 11:1 and the modded Raptor that I was following, and doing pretty well with, would probably have been long gone! The 406, whose tires I saw most of the time, had a tremendous difference in throttle response as compared to mine. At any rate, a cam is on the way and I may go ahead and put a piston in it at the same time to bump the compression up. MORE POWER!:macho

stocktires
10-01-2002, 10:26 PM
I wouldnt put in a cam without getting a nice high compression piston first

Thumper416ex
10-02-2002, 06:57 AM
WHAT'S THE MOD ON THE STOCK SLIP ON THAT I HAVE TO DO TO GET MORE LOW END HP???

YZROOSTINYA
10-02-2002, 07:49 AM
a banshee may have 60 hp but it doesnt make that power until 7-8 k up until 9.5 k. below that it is a dog, no torque no hp.

a modded 400 may only make 40 hp, but it starts at idle and ends at redline. plus the torqu to lug the bike is pretty good too.
the good thing about fourstokes is that they put ALL the power they make to the ground. unlike which just spin, and on technicle hills this will have you in trouble quick. i use to have a 99 yz250 that i thought was the only thing on the planet. after riding my 83 xr 350 (the xr felt like a dog). until i got to this one hill, my yz was too fast in second for the hill, and spun to much in first which basically had me clutching the whole hill in second. on the xr i popped it in second and laid back and drank my coffee on the way up, it was so easy it was unbelievable. i was riding a wheelie the whole time around trees and over rocks with the suspension soaking up everything and the tire didn't spin a bit(it was a street leagal dual sport tire!!!)

for all out racing 2 strokes have advantages, but do not under estimate the power of a tuned 400 with a GOOD rider.

just got back from hatfield mccoy with a kid that had a 330 stroker big bore 250r. i was with him the whole time because its slippery and technicle. he would leave me a little in the straights but i was roosting him in the corners and on exit.

if i would have had a 416 with a cam he would have been toast. and he is pretty damn good rider.

DarkStarRacing
10-02-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Thumper416ex
WHAT'S THE MOD ON THE STOCK SLIP ON THAT I HAVE TO DO TO GET MORE LOW END HP???

i believe if you take off the end cap you will get more low end due to less back pressure not sure how bad it is though for the engine, i assume if honda did intend for it to be off it can't be good :confused:

ChadEXer
10-02-2002, 12:47 PM
I guess I should have left mine stock!!