PDA

View Full Version : Splitting cases

Chino886
02-21-2007, 08:49 AM
I have rebuilt top ends on bikes before, but never had to split the cases. Is it worth the money to have someone do it? Or should I try it myself?

jfor
02-21-2007, 08:54 AM
I am doing it myself. Although I will have to take the lower end to the honda shop to have them remove the clutch because I don't wanna spend 150 bucks on Honda's special tool LOL.

400exrider707
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by jfor
I am doing it myself. Although I will have to take the lower end to the honda shop to have them remove the clutch because I don't wanna spend 150 bucks on Honda's special tool LOL.

Use and impact, comes right off...

Chino I too had only done a few top ends and never split cases. Just did my first on my 05 450R, its actually very simple. Just make sure you label everything instead of piling parts like I did. Its just gonna take more time going back together for me is all. Its very simple though. If you have any questions along the way PM me and Ill help you out. I have it tored down to the crank right now. All the gears stay right on the case so no need to worry about that, although I will probably take mine out to inspect anyways. Just go for it!!!

bwamos
02-21-2007, 09:13 AM
I'd break out a digital camera too. A picture of the final assembly is worth a million bucks. ;)