PDA

View Full Version : Decompression mechanism

jfor
02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Does anybody have a picture of what a decompression mechanism looks like? I was in the process of tearing down my motor in my 400ex when I found out that it has a 400 big bore kit. I am trying to determine if the cam that is in there is the stock cam or an aftermarket cam. I think it is an aftermarket cam because after removing the cam I don't remember seeing anything else like a decompression mechanism.

400exrider707
02-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by jfor
Does anybody have a picture of what a decompression mechanism looks like? I was in the process of tearing down my motor in my 400ex when I found out that it has a 400 big bore kit. I am trying to determine if the cam that is in there is the stock cam or an aftermarket cam. I think it is an aftermarket cam because after removing the cam I don't remember seeing anything else like a decompression mechanism.

It is large and bulky you couldn't miss it. There would also be a little tiny spring and dowel pin in the head where it would rub against. If its an aftermarket cam, that should be removed and there should be a tiny little hole in the head. It would be on the right hand side if your sitting on the quad. (opposite of the cam chain). Its not very big.

jfor
02-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Sweet... Didn't see any of that! So... I am pretty sure it is an aftermarket cam I just need to determine wha aftermarket cam it is.

400exrider707
02-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by jfor
Sweet... Didn't see any of that! So... I am pretty sure it is an aftermarket cam I just need to determine wha aftermarket cam it is.

Should be some sort of marking or part number on the cam, see what it is and post it up here.