PDA

View Full Version : Work

rooster300ex
02-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Just found out my boss set my days off where I will never get a weekend day off again. This means all the money I have spent for flat track tires,sprockets,rims is just gonna sit in the garage. I've been to one race, there are three more one this saturday and I can't go. I even said I would work the morning shift, but she shook her head smiling sayin no. I'm gonna ask again today. I might quit and look for another job. As long as I have this job I will never see my parents,sister,friends because my days off will be during the week days. Really really sucks. Oh well I'll just ride it tilll I snap. j/k

ShiftFMX
02-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Where Do you work?

trick250r
02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
id give her my notice... or a ride on the quad. either would probably work. jk man... but i couldnt stand it if i couldnt see the family or go riding just because of a day job.

rooster300ex
02-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Where Do you work?

I cook the fillings for a fried pie shop and other shops in different towns.

bwamos
02-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Smile back and shake your head saying no... lol.

If you're a good worker, give her a professional ultimatum perse'. Let her know kindly that working all weekend every weekend is not an option for you.

Try to negotiate, every other weekend or something.
There are tons of other jobs out there that will pay you to work normal days/hours.

Basically, if she wont budge.. she's just going to have to work the weekends herself. ;)

If your not making at least $40k/year at that job (wich i highly doubt she is).. you're time is more valuable than she is paying you for.

She's trying to wedge you into those housrs, because she can't get anyone else to do it, and she doesn't want to do it herself.

Be stern and don't budge beyond the every other weekend unless she will guarantee you certian days off throughout the season. Work up the days you need ahead of time. Gives you more leverage.

Remember.. she is buying your product (your time). Let her know what part of your product is availiable. If it's not good enough for her, you can always find someone with whom it is good enough for. Jobs aren't hard to find.

02-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Man I would never work weekends.:eek:

bwamos
02-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Oh and one last thing.

One thing you will learn over the years when dealing with bosses.

NEVER EVER ASK... always tell. Don't GIVE them the room to say no.

DO NOT go up and say.. "I was wondering if it was possible to change my schedule to mornings, or some other days besides the weekends" Even though it's polite, respectful, and what our mothers taught us, it does not work.

DO say.. "We need to work out an agreeable schedule. Working everyweekend day is not an option for me. I have certian weekend day's throughout the year that I have to have off."

Polite (don't put the on the defensive.. keep them passive), and assertive. You need to control the situation.

Trust me it will get you a LOT further.

It's like asking them if you can monday off in 2 weeks. They will say.. wellll..... we really need you here, so I can't let you take it off, sorry.

If you say.. "I'm going to need to take monday off in 2 weeks, please schedule around it, and do it in writing.) They will usually just say ok, because they know you aren't asking.

Most managers are spineless, unless you show less spine then they will jump in for the kill. ;)

7 speed
02-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Oh and one last thing.

One thing you will learn over the years when dealing with bosses.

NEVER EVER ASK... always tell. Don't GIVE them the room to say no.

DO NOT go up and say.. "I was wondering if it was possible to change my schedule to mornings, or some other days besides the weekends" Even though it's polite, respectful, and what our mothers taught us, it does not work.

DO say.. "We need to work out an agreeable schedule. Working everyweekend day is not an option for me. I have certian weekend day's throughout the year that I have to have off."

Polite (don't put the on the defensive.. keep them passive), and assertive. You need to control the situation.

Trust me it will get you a LOT further.

It's like asking them if you can monday off in 2 weeks. They will say.. wellll..... we really need you here, so I can't let you take it off, sorry.

If you say.. "I'm going to need to take monday off in 2 weeks, please schedule around it, and do it in writing.) They will usually just say ok, because they know you aren't asking.

Most managers are spineless, unless you show less spine then they will jump in for the kill. ;)

I agree 100%

When I need time off I say "I just wanted to let you know that I won't be here on such and such day. I have this or that going on and I just wanted to give you a heads up."

Works every time! I have not been told "no" yet.

But my co-worker asks politely and gets told "no" almost evey time. Now he just calls in sick that morning when he needs time off.