PDA

View Full Version : General Question - 450r

Micheal Smith
02-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Wanted to ask the question, please do not count it against me. My question is, I was reading the Honda 450r service manual and it states that a rebuild is necessary at 15hours. I do not race only trail ride. My dealer told me that it would be fine to rebuild up to 45-50 hours. What is the expert opinion of the people on this site. I have an 06450r and thought because it was a 4 stroke there would be minor need for top end rebuild. Please state your opinion on the subject. I wondered because if this is the case I will be changing four wheelers pretty soon.

Thanks,
Micheal Smith

Sjorge450R
02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
it is a high mantinece machine but you dont need to redo it every 15 hours. Im at like 20 or 25 and its still running perfect. I would rebuild it until the crank gives or if some other catacalismic event occurs...lol

quader400
02-20-2007, 06:07 PM
well i belive your supposed to adjust the valves after a break in which is about that many hours i think?

honda4life72
02-20-2007, 06:13 PM
i have over 100 on mine and doesnt need a rebuild i just adjust the valves and change the oil

Micheal Smith
02-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Please keep the information coming. I only have about 7-8 hours, but am going to put it up for sale if there is a huge amount of maintenance to this quad. Love the power, but want a "true" four stroke or what four strokes were about.

Thanks,
MS

cals400ex
02-20-2007, 08:25 PM
i would leave a good foam air filter in it and keep it oiled with a foam filter oil. those titanium intake valves cause some people problems, mostly due to dust passing through their filter. when you do rebuild it you can put in a more reliable piston. you can get one with a little wider skirts on it to help with the reliability. i would not build it every 15 hours if it was me. i would just stay on top of the oil changes as well.

lumi
02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
i got ti valve :)

i got a bit over 100 hours on my quad and run the hell outta it with oil changes... piston is still good and the valves are in spec..

if u racer 15-20 rebuilds are necessary.

but if u never wanna do any work to the engine than go with a 400ex or a rancher.

a well maintained stock 06 450r can last well into the coulpe of hundred hour zone.....

when modified the piston will probably need a sawp at about 200 or so hours or maybe more depnding on ride stly and maintenance... at about the same time if not longer u will need new valves and a new recut of the seats which will set u back about 200-300 dollars for a full rebuild which is nothing when people spend that much for a slip on..

a stock 450r will last a good 2-3 years before u need a rebuild a modified one will last about 2 years MAX before u need a rebuild.

jmho

-lumi

byrdman37876
02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
a stock 2 stroke does'nt need a rebuild at 15 hours. i had a cr250r dirt bike for 2 years and never touched the rings and she still hauled arse. well mabye it would need it after a baja run i guess but if u ain't doing that then change the oil and filter like u change your underwear then u will be ok for awhile.

miami305
02-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Wat do u guys mean by rebuild and i have an 06 450r kicker wanted to know wat u guys ment by that thanx

lumi
02-21-2007, 06:58 AM
a basic rebuild would consist of a
new piston and rings set/piston pin
new valves/valve seals/springs/recut of the valve seats
like i said this can set u back aorund 200-300 dollars. this are things that are usuallly changed on a rebuild as these parts wear overtime.
simple stuff u can do urself with a service manual,torque wrench, locktite, feeler gauge and some basic tools.

after that the little things like spark plug/ oil change on both sides new /oil filter/ coolant / a cleaned and oiled air filter. that does it for me.

-lumi

miami305
02-21-2007, 07:09 AM
so u say with proper maintenance i wont have to rebuild for 2-3 years?

lumi
02-21-2007, 07:52 AM
on a stock 450r i dont see why not.... but of course also depends on the ride time and the way u ride.

if u beat the hell out of it and ride everyday i would say def less.

its a estimate cuz no1 can know how long u can go without a rebuild... my freind has a fully stock 06 for a year now , piston is still good and valves are good. i can see him going another year strong without any issues.

-lumi

02-21-2007, 08:02 AM
I have had mine since Jan 28, 2004. It has 2 hard racing seasons and countless hours of practice. I just took it a part last week. The piston and cylinder look like new, like it was assembled yesterday. My intake valves were beaten into the head to the point of no more clearance. I would just check the valves after 20 hours. Change the oil very often. I change mine every ride on both sides. Also keep the air filtee clean. I have a few air filters so I just pop in a clean one every time I ride.

mymastifftucker
02-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by lumi
a basic rebuild would consist of a
new piston and rings set/piston pin
new valves/valve seals/springs/recut of the valve seats
like i said this can set u back aorund 200-300 dollars. this are things that are usuallly changed on a rebuild as these parts wear overtime.
simple stuff u can do urself with a service manual,torque wrench, locktite, feeler gauge and some basic tools.

after that the little things like spark plug/ oil change on both sides new /oil filter/ coolant / a cleaned and oiled air filter. that does it for me.

-lumi
I wouldnt put replacing the valves in a normal rebuild, definetly not if its at less than 30 hrs. Doing a simple top end (or even just rings) should be the basic rebuild. I just swaped my 04 over to a 480 and the piston,rings and jug look just fine. Never had a bit of smoke. If you keep the oil changed and the filters clean these are VERY reliable machines. If you beat the snot out of it and dont maintain it then you will have problems.

lumi
02-21-2007, 12:11 PM
most ti valve tend to wear on people who dont take care of them...SS valve outlast ti and are more durable to dirt which u find on the 04/05 but ti will last aswell but its in my rebuild.

-lumi:D

Micheal Smith
02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for everyones advise.

450ERRRRRR!
02-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Dont sell it!!!!!
I've had mine for a year and have riddien it almost everday!
It's a E-start and I have had no problems what so ever. It starts in a 1/2 second and never miss's or backfires. I've rejetted for the open air box and exhaust and I keep the oil changed often and use synethic oil. I dont race it but I run her fast and wide open. Just yesterday I had to call in sick at work to go ridd'in on the first nice sunny day that we have had in a long dime. I rode about 15 miles on back dirt rodes. It was a blast and got my blood pumping! If I had to rebuild every 50 hours I'd do it but I'll bet you 3 years from now I'll still be riddin on the same engine.

Micheal Smith
02-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks all.