PDA

View Full Version : 6 year old's first gas powered atv

2old2race
02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
O.K., my wife has finally let up a bit in 'allowing me' (ouch) to buy my soon to be 6 year old son a quad.
I grew up riding MX (KX80, KX125, RM250, KX250), but she has finally budged upon the feeling that an additional 2 wheels under my son will be safer. I cannot say I agree...but I am happy nonetheless.

So, I have been always been partial to the Kawis and actually raced for a local dealership in my younger years. But, it appears the reviews are not as stellar for the Kawi KFX 50. Same with the Yamaha Raptor 50.
So, it appears the Suzi Z50 and Polaris Predator 50 may be the best choices out there. Being a lifelong Kawi guy, Hondas just leave a dirty taste on my tongue. :D

Of course I would love to see my son follow in my shoes and race, but for now, I want to get him something safe, non-intimidating, yet with enough torque to get him around on our hilly property.

I am looking at spending less than $1500 this summer (his birthday is in September). However, I want to buy something that will have a good resale value for when/if he is ready to move up.
For those reasons, I assume none of the Chinese quads are worth looking at.

And lastly, I have seen plenty of 3,4,5 year old LT50's for sale on cycletrader.com for just over $1000. Is this a good way to go, or am I better off buying new and trying to haggle down to my $1500 pricepoint.

Plus, when is the best time to buy an ATV? Before, I always got a raceteam discount, so timing never really mattered.

Thanks for any and all that respond!

Eric

racinmason911
02-20-2007, 01:43 PM
If I were in your shoes I'd look for a Honda TRX90. They are great all around atv's.

2old2race
02-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by racinmason911
If I were in your shoes I'd look for a Honda TRX90. They are great all around atv's.
Thank-you. I'll check into that.
I was thinking of skipping the 50 cc for something larger, too. My only concern is my son is a bit of a fly-speck. haha
He is 40# soaking wet.

Maybe I'll have him sit on one at a dealership and then start looking. Can they still be limited speedwise and are they designed safety-wise as much as the 50cc models?

Thanks again!

TEXWS6
02-20-2007, 02:41 PM
where are you located?

etondaddy
02-20-2007, 02:46 PM
E-Ton …………. Ya can’t go wrong with the jog engine it’s about the easiest to work on and dependable as hell. And they make a great racer. As far as mini quads go I’m telling ya E-Ton / Kasea is the way to go. Racings cool, we do it together, he helps work on it before every race...... Building a 90cc for this year, and my little buddy's right there.

Last years 70cc
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Picture006.jpg

70cc teardown
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/70_teardown010.jpg

The new 90cc build
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Elkas003.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Elkas002.jpg

OK THATS ENOUGH ;)

mxdad423
02-20-2007, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by etondaddy
[B]E-Ton …………. Ya can’t go wrong with the jog engine it’s about the easiest to work on and dependable as hell. And they make a great racer. As far as mini quads go I’m telling ya E-Ton / Kasea is the way to go. Racings cool, we do it together, he helps work on it before every race...... Building a 90cc for this year, and my little buddy's right there.

YEP, Eton or Kasea all the way, I bought a polaris predator 50 for my son's second quad and it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned in my life after 6 differant trips back to the dealer because it wouldn't run more than 5 mins at a time I called the polaris factory and they basically told me sorry about my luck so I parked it in the corner and went and bought the Eton 70 and we built it for racing, 3 years of beating it on the track and it still has never let me down, now were building a Kasea 90 for this year and he's going to run both. You won't go wron with either of these quads and if your planning on racing don't buy a TRX 90 unless you want to sink about 3500.00 just in the engine to get it to keep up with the Jog engines....

mxdad423
02-20-2007, 06:27 PM
That was the Eton Viper 70, Here is the Kasea Skyhawk 90 still in building stages...

mxdad
02-20-2007, 06:46 PM
If you are looking for safety and the possibility of modding it to go faster. You should definitely check into a DRX.

drrinc.com (http://www.drrinc.com)

This is by far the best stock 50 on the market. They come with dual a-arms and are 41" wide stock!!! They are very dependable and they can be modded to be super fast. There isn't a quad that even comes close in the 50 limited class. They also have 70, 90 & 90 Limited models as well.

http://www.koolkidzatv.com/sitebuilder/images/IMG_0246-375x275.jpg

ecmini1
02-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Go with either DRR 50 or an Apex 70. Etons and kasea have single a-arms and are narrow stock. The drr and apex have wider stance and allready come with dual a-arms stock. These are alittle higher on price but the drr is only 500 dollars more it will be new and safer.

Ride safe

Livin4Real
02-20-2007, 09:27 PM
I'd go with the DRR as well. They are great quads for the price and have plenty of aftermarket support along with some better features over the kasea. You should also check the for sale section on here and other atv boards as there are plenty of quality used quads out there to help save you some money.

etondaddy
02-21-2007, 05:43 AM
No mater what make and model you decide to go with, at first concentrate on suspension, and not the motor. Give he or she the juice after they get used to the machine. Good luck and hope to see you guys at the track one day. The choice of a machine should be determined by what your ultimate goal is racing or trail riding. And something you can get parts for.

2old2race
02-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by TEXWS6
where are you located?
South central PA.

2old2race
02-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys!
It sounds to me that the best choice for my son may be the DRR DRX50.
After a quick check on cycletrader, I see one can be had for less than 2 grand.
I will have to do some more research on this model and where the nearest retailer is to me.

My son has been running his Powerwheels quad to death for almost 2 years. He is to the point of doing 180's, burnouts, and learning how to lean properly. I can tell he is ready for something more. However, safety is of the foremost importance when it comes to his first 'real' quad.

As someone stated ealier, I agree in getting a good quality quad and then enhancing the engine at a later time, if necessary. Heck, having another bike in the family to tinker on will be almost as fun for me too!

On a sidenote, I would like to get him something nice because he is a motorcycle and car/truck nut. Since he was 3, his favorite thing has been sitting outside and talking about Daddy's bike. And, if he gets some mud on his PW quad, he is washing and drying it off afterwards. lol

So...the DRR, I will check into further. THANKS!

mxdad
02-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Check out Kool Kidz ATV (http://www.koolkidzatv.com) They are located in NJ but his kids race at the local District 6 quad races and he may be able to bring one closer to you.

etondaddy
02-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by EigerRider
Check out Kool Kidz ATV (http://www.koolkidzatv.com) They are located in NJ but his kids race at the local District 6 quad races and he may be able to bring one closer to you.

Yes sir I have been dealing with Cory for about three years now....... good dude.

2old2race
02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Unfortunately, the more I am reading about the DRR, the more I may be steering away from it.
I read it is better suited for an above average sized 6 year old; or one that is an aggressive, experienced rider. There is also some concern expressed about it's difficulty to trail ride.

So, I am thrown for a bit of a loop right now. Thank goodness I have 4 months to decide.

I am wondering if I may be better off buying a China-cheapy for $500. And then if he does show great potential, then hocking it off to a friend for a couple hundred dollars and then getting him a DRR?

If I do take this route, is there a good quality China-made quad. Or, all they all pretty much about the same=....?

cwjr
02-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I have a 2006 complete 90 stock drr for sale with an extra set of stock 50 tires. This quad is not race ready like the 50 drr but with the small tires it is the same size for the little guy...Last year i would not let my 5 year old daughter ride the 50 drr because of its quickness and power ( race ready) but i felt fine with her on the stock 90...2 totally different machines!!i just bought a 70 drr and will sacrifice this machine for $1500.

etondaddy
02-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Please don’t buy one of those cheap ones you will not be happy. I’m telling you for your situation go with the E-Ton it can grow with him. All you need is wheel spacers first and let him go. And you have the start to what can be one heck of a racer (if that’s what you want) and they are one hell of a trail quad stock

racinmason911
02-21-2007, 11:06 AM
You still can't beat the reliabilty of a Honda TRX 90. They are great quads for whatever type of riding you choose to do. They also have the best resale value out of all of the mini quads on the market.

mxdad
02-21-2007, 11:36 AM
This is how I see it...

NEVER buy a cheap china quad!!! reliability sucks and parts are not available.

The review you read about the DRX (a t v s c e n e) was done on the 1st DRX they put out and they have been improved since. They are made to be mx racers but if you stick a bigger sprocket on the rear you will pull any trails/hills just fine. None of the 2 stroke mini's are made for heavy mud or water.

Most 50's are the same size now unless you buy a mini 50 which i do not recommend. You child will outgrow it fast and be bored as hell!!! They are all on 90cc chassis. My son is 50" tall and 50 lbs and he rides a DRX with no problem. Even the Eton & Kasea are the same size. The DRX is just wider. If you plan on racing the DRX50 is the way to go.

Now if you have $2500-$3000 and your kid can shift then get him a TRX90 but he can't race it until he turns 8. They are more reliable but they cost a ton to mod to be competitive in racing.

Here are my choices for stock quads...
50cc - DRX
70cc - Eton
90cc - Honda

If you want a true race quad that can grow woth you child you can spend $6500 on a Cobra 50!!!

Depending on what you are gonna do with the quad you have a lot to think about.

2old2race
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Hmmm...the e-ton is quite intriquing. I see some year old models on atvtrader.com selling new for around $1200.

We are speaking of the e-ton Viper 50M, correct?

They seem to be set up for the beginning rider. But, you guys are saying they can easily be turned into the beasts some of you have pictured?

The price range seems great, and the fact that I can start him off slow, but yet still build this quad into a racer sounds very right on!

etondaddy
02-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 2old2race
Hmmm...the e-ton is quite intriquing. I see some year old models on atvtrader.com selling new for around $1200.

We are speaking of the e-ton Viper 50M, correct?

They seem to be set up for the beginning rider. But, you guys are saying they can easily be turned into the beasts some of you have pictured?

The price range seems great, and the fact that I can start him off slow, but yet still build this quad into a racer sounds very right on!

I'm not sure about the 50 mini just make sure that the frame is the same as the bigger minis. When they came out with the 70cc they made the 50 what they call a mini. Thay shrunk it. As long as the frame and motor are the same your good. If not you need to find a old full size 50.

E-Ton now your talking…..LOL If you start with the 50 you can easily make it a better than stock 70cc with a Malossi 70 jug kit from Kool Kidz. I have a used duel ring 70cc jug that I want $150.00 dollars for. You can get a new one for I think $300.00 dollars. When it’s time to go 70cc your looking at ;

Hetrick pipe $300.00
Malossi Jug $300.00
Carb $100.00
Misc. Clutch stuff $100.00
$800.00 Total

You don’t have to do it all ……… but if you do look out it will fly !!!!!!!!!
Just keep in mind if you up grade from a 50cc to a 70cc with after market parts there’s no comparison to the stock 70cc from E-Ton. Believe me we raced one for two years.

I mean if you want to go big time you can buy a Cobra…….. But the way it sounds you need to start with a E-Ton 50cc. Just my opinion hope it helps a little Good Luck.

Michael Kozura

mxdad423
02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
No you don't want the 50m that is the mini version that came out after the 70, Like etondaddy said. The 50m has a smaller chassis your best bet would be to go with the Eton viper 70, I don't know your kid but believe me you can turn it down to a very slow speed he/she can handle, there is 2 differant settings the CDI and the throttle stop. If you go with the 50m you will never be able to race it if you decide to. Like etondaddy stated you could go that route or find a used Viper 50 if would have to be a 2004 or older so it would have the same chassis as the 70 and 90. If you go this route Like etondaddy said it is very east to mod it and put it on the track that I can tell you we have raced one for 3 years now, my son and etondaddy's son had the 2 fastest 70's on the track and the most reliable one's also and they are both eton's. Hope that helps you out.

ecmini1
02-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Only you know your child and his ability all kids take to this sport diffrent but with your back ground in racing Im safe to assume racing is in the future for your son.
Go with the bike with best options for upgrades and takes the fewest upgrades to be competive.
All my kids have been riding since age 4. Right now My 7 year old girl is racing an Apex 90cc and has been on it for 8mo. she came off a all out xtreme 90 she is rare breed and flat flys on her Apex. My 2 year old son already has a 50cc quad but cant ride by his self but can drive the bike with someone on the back. My 15 year old daughter same thing came up through the ranks and now rides either 400ex or dvx400.

Your doing the right steps and research.

Livin4Real
02-21-2007, 10:38 PM
You'll be much happier with the dual a-arm setup on the drr. Same type motor as eton, kasea, etc. just better suspension.
I don't own a drr so I can honestly say I'm not bias. We have a kasea and a cobra and my son has been riding since he was 3.

Blazer25
02-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by mxdad423
[QUOTE]Originally posted by etondaddy
[B]YEP, Eton or Kasea all the way, I bought a polaris predator 50 for my son's second quad and it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned in my life after 6 differant trips back to the dealer because it wouldn't run more than 5 mins at a time I called the polaris factory and they basically told me sorry about my luck so I parked it in the corner and went and bought the Eton 70 and we built it for racing, 3 years of beating it on the track and it still has never let me down, now were building a Kasea 90 for this year and he's going to run both. You won't go wron with either of these quads and if your planning on racing don't buy a TRX 90 unless you want to sink about 3500.00 just in the engine to get it to keep up with the Jog engines....

I am sorry you had problems with your Polaris. You must have gotten a lemon. My daughter has raced 2 seasons on her Predator 90 (80 races last year alone) and has never once had a breakdown. It has been an awesome quad for her! She is 9yrs old and weighs only 59lbs. She finished 3rd for the season and her machine still runs awesome. We loved the Polaris so much we had another one built for her. I will be sad to get rid of her 1st one, but I know her new one will be just as dependable.

flht_db
02-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by mxdad423
No you don't want the 50m that is the mini version that came out after the 70, Like etondaddy said. The 50m has a smaller chassis your best bet would be to go with the Eton viper 70, I don't know your kid but believe me you can turn it down to a very slow speed he/she can handle, there is 2 differant settings the CDI and the throttle stop. If you go with the 50m you will never be able to race it if you decide to. Like etondaddy stated you could go that route or find a used Viper 50 if would have to be a 2004 or older so it would have the same chassis as the 70 and 90. If you go this route Like etondaddy said it is very east to mod it and put it on the track that I can tell you we have raced one for 3 years now, my son and etondaddy's son had the 2 fastest 70's on the track and the most reliable one's also and they are both eton's. Hope that helps you out.

As etondaddy and madad423 said don't go with the 50m, it is the same frame as the 70 and 90 but has direct bolt rims with no hubs and no front brakes. And the tires are way to small for anything other than the back yard, also making it top heavy. It can be converted by adding brakes and hubs but not worth it if you can buy the 70 first. Been there done that.

mxdad423
02-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Blazer25
I am sorry you had problems with your Polaris. You must have gotten a lemon. My daughter has raced 2 seasons on her Predator 90 (80 races last year alone) and has never once had a breakdown. It has been an awesome quad for her! She is 9yrs old and weighs only 59lbs. She finished 3rd for the season and her machine still runs awesome. We loved the Polaris so much we had another one built for her. I will be sad to get rid of her 1st one, but I know her new one will be just as dependable.

Glad to hear you have had good luck wiht yours. What year is yours mine was a 2004, when these problems were going on with mine they did not have the cooling fans on them, I even told them that was the problem that it was getting to hot and shutting down thats why after you let it set for about 15min it would start back up and run for another 10min until it got hot, but they told me I didn't know what I was talking about that their techs. knew more than me. I didn't say in the last post because I didn't really get into detail but after 5 times in and out of the shop they finally gave me another new one and guess what it did the same exact thing thats when I parked it and bought the E-ton. I noticed the next year they came out and had cooling fans on them, but I guess I didn't know what I was talking about, LOL... I wasn't trying to make anybody mad by trashing the Polaris's but I just have a bad taste in my mouth with them, It wouldn't of been so bad but when the factory told me pretty much sorry about my luck thats what really did it. I hope I didn't insult anybody with the comments I made about them and I am glad you have a good one...

mxdad
02-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Not to continue to hijack this guys thread but you two are comparing apples & oranges comparing the 04 pred 50 with the pred 90's. They were totally different. The 90's were nice in 04, we just sold ours with no problems. The 50's were junk!!! My little cousin had one and quickly moved to a DRR. I actually am hearing that the newer 4 stroke Polaris Outlaw 90's are pretty nice as well but I haven't seen one for myself yet.

As for this guys quad decision, he will find as people have mentioned that most of them have the same type of motor but some have better parts on them stock. My reason for liking the DRX would be the dual a arms, disc brakes, better stock pipe which makes them easier and cheaper to mod to get more speed out of them when you are ready and about 5" wider than most others which equals safer. And they are under $2000.00.

Let us know what you get and how you like it, whatever it is.

mxdad423
02-23-2007, 05:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EigerRider
[B]Not to continue to hijack this guys thread but you two are comparing apples & oranges comparing the 04 pred 50 with the pred 90's.

Yea I don't know much about the polaris's other than I will never buy another one buecause of the way I was treated by the MFG. Like I said before it was like they had a product that was a known problem (found that out after the fact) and they didn't even care. That to me is rediculous considering it being a big company like Polaris..

2old2race
02-23-2007, 06:45 AM
I guess I better chime in being as how I am responsible for this argument. :D

I am hearing both the pros and cons for the DRX50 and the E-ton 70.

Unfortunately, there is a 2006 DRX50 on another website for sale new for $1300! :eek2: However, I am not looking to purchase until July/August.

There appears to be some good prices on the E-Ton 70, more than on DRX's. However, it also appears E-ton's outnumber DRX's by quite a margin, too.

I am going to keep lurking and may even start a subscription to an ATV magazine for my son.

No offense to this site, because I have found this forum to be one of the best! But, is there another site anyone would recommend regarding the education and maturation process of a beginning ATV rider? Ping me, should anyone know of any.

ANYWAY, thank you to all for helping me widdle my decision down to 2 manufacturers rather than the 6 or 7 I had originally been reviewing. :cool:

2old2race
02-23-2007, 10:32 AM
One last thing.....someone pinged me recommending the Jetmoto 50cc for a beginning ATV rider.
I am not going to call him out (lol), but the facts have been stated that it has about the same set up as a E-ton and it has dual a-arms.
All this for under $700.

I was 'cautioned' not too spend too much because my son (like his) may just not be into racing. So, the flexibility to upgrade may not be necessary.

He said I should buy cheap, run the heck out of the bike, and then spend more money on a DRX or Honda should my son have the racing itch.

Tear that apart guys!:devil: