PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a battery powered Impact driver for wrenching on quad?

atvrulz
02-20-2007, 11:25 AM
To save time, I bought a top of the line Makita battery powered impact driver for wrenching on my quad. I figured this would save me time from turning a wrench. Does anyone else use this type of tool, instead of a socket wratchet? I figured I would still torque down all bolts by hand, but at least it will save me time by loosening and tightening the bolts with the battery powered impact driver. Are these worth using for wrenching on a quad or should i return it?
thanks

Ralph
02-20-2007, 11:28 AM
They are great for changing tires and such. Otherwise i would still prefer a wrench

400exrider707
02-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I've really thought about getting one, especially with all the motors I've been tearing apart and rebuilding lately.:ermm:

Do you like it so far?

naw0029
02-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I love the one I have I got it to work on our race cars but I use it all the time on the quad. I would keep the thing, I use mine on everything. Hope this helps. And btw I have a Snap-On 18v 3/8th drive and have yet to find something that stoped it.

mach1stang
02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
i have a air rachet and it works great for me but it runs air so dont know if it helps ya much but i like it

atvrulz
02-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I have used my air compressor with an air impact socket set before, but the power in my house goes out when I use it. Also, with my air impact wrenches powered by my air compressor, it is hard to control the speed. My air impact socket wrench, does not have variable speed. So I will see if this battery powered Makita impact driver works any better.

7 speed
02-20-2007, 12:29 PM
My coordless impact is by far the best tool in my tool box.
I use it on everything.

I race TT and chang out tires every heat.
I love it!!!

quader400
02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
i use one off my air compressor also and love it, its will turn and stuborn bolt and makes chaning some bolts much easier but its kind of bulky and not good to use for the smaller stuff. i would say keep it because it will deffinatly come in handy

mach1stang
02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
yeah there is alot of ups and downs between all of them

smr
02-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 7 speed
My coordless impact is by far the best tool in my tool box.
I use it on everything.
I love it!!!

I agree.....I have a 3/8 drive dewalt. I love it for taken motors apart. It really saves alot of time.

Kickstarts-suck
02-20-2007, 01:20 PM
I bought the attachment for my dewalt so i can hook sockets onto it.

works great and only cost $2.00

1fst400
02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
I have a de-walt 12v corless impact. I LOVE this tool. bateries last quite a while, and it has enough power to take apart a quad, sometimes the lug nuts are a little much, I just crack them loose with a ratchet.

My friend has a snap-on 18v impact. It has magor balls! has the power to easily take car lug nuts off but is controlible enough to tighten doun a valve cover.

atvrulz
02-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
I have a de-walt 12v corless impact. I LOVE this tool. bateries last quite a while, and it has enough power to take apart a quad, sometimes the lug nuts are a little much, I just crack them loose with a ratchet.

My friend has a snap-on 18v impact. It has magor balls! has the power to easily take car lug nuts off but is controlible enough to tighten doun a valve cover.

Even with a 12V you are able to work on quad? I Did not think it would be powerful enough.

1fst400
02-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by atvrulz
Even with a 12V you are able to work on quad? I Did not think it would be powerful enough.

with a fresh batery it will sheer a grade 8 1/4in bolt off.

It will take prety much anything with a 15mm and smaller apart. Parts with a bigger head tend to need to be tighter, wheels, axle nuts are the only things that I can think of that it wont work on.

Trust me once you start useing it you wont be able to stop. I find myslef lost without it.

waynebeast5
02-21-2007, 06:33 PM
i use the hitachi 12v one and that thing does the job. on certain bolts you will have to loosen them by hand then just use the impact the rest of the way. saves alot of time and cranking. just keep a fresh battery in it and it will turn alot of stuff.

CDCHONDAS
02-21-2007, 06:44 PM
I work on quads for a living i have a makita hex drive for phillips screws and the like and a milwaukee 3/8, I use the milwaukee every single day, cant be without.

atvrulz
02-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by CDCHONDAS
I work on quads for a living i have a makita hex drive for phillips screws and the like and a milwaukee 3/8, I use the milwaukee every single day, cant be without.

I bought a Makita 18V LXT Model # BTD140.
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=BTD140

Is this one any good for wrenching on my quad?

Thanks for the feedback

atvrulz
02-25-2007, 07:02 PM
I took my entire quad apart to inspect to get ready for upcoming race season this afternoon. If i did not use my new battery powered impact driver i would still be working at it. It saved an enormous amount of time.
I would recommend this type of tool to anyone looking to save some time.

02-25-2007, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback

nope...not good, more like great. We have the same one. lightweight, small, powerfull works great.

Wills 77

wilkin250r
02-26-2007, 01:05 AM
I don't have a true "impact driver", just a cordless screw gun/drill, but I've been using it for years.

I've been thinking about getting something with a little more torque, something to handle the larger nuts and bolts. Mine doesn't have the grunt to twist the larger bolts free, and it doesn't always fit into certain areas, so I usually only use it for stuff like the stator and clutch cover, areas that have lots of bolts and are easy to get to.

Sjorge450R
02-26-2007, 05:40 AM
best tool i ever bought! I have the one from pepboys. Its a 1/2" drive 24v. I used to to tear open my 300ex motor. Took all about 30 min to get everything torn apart to the tranny. Would have taken me tripple the time. Its also really nice for wheels and tires. Just one thing, if you put your wheels on with it, make sure you have the impact ready to take them off, otherwise they arent coming off.

CDCHONDAS
02-26-2007, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback

That will be nice, just make sure you get a bit set for it with adapters to 3/8 and 1/4 drive and torx and phillips and the likes.