PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Gasket Reccomendations Please

poeppes
02-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I installed the Sparks timing advance and found that I only had the left side case cover gasket without the starter cover gasket.

I've ordered a couple off the internet (Boise shops did not stock them), that got me thinking about liquid gasket makers.

Does anyone have experience with these products? I don't believe the starter cover takes that much heat from the engine, so maybe in the future using a liquid/gel/goo might not be a bad idea.

Any thoughts?

Steve

ryanh250ex
02-20-2007, 11:13 AM
I've used it before, I had a Z50 with a custom electric start setup, i modified it to be kickstart again

the Magneto/flywheel cover needed to be sealed up.

Worked fine for me, just be careful as that stuff gets EVERYWHERE

enduro400rider
02-20-2007, 11:28 AM
i really wouldnt reccomend it, the gaskets have a certain thickness, the cases need to be spaced out that thick, i accidently put 2 clutch cover gaskets on at the same time and the clutch slipped pretty bad, even though it was just a minimal differance in space it seemed to cause some problems. i used liquid gasket on the stator side of my 400 and i remember it causing some kind of problem, i cant really remember what but i just recall it doing somthing bad. gaskets are pretty cheap it better to be safe and get the real deal, so you can have the best performance. that liquid stuff getts everyware, when its compressed it oozes out and i can only imagine it oozes into the oil too, and i doubt thats going to be good for a motor

enduro400rider
02-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
i really wouldnt reccomend it, the gaskets have a certain thickness, the cases need to be spaced out that thick, i accidently put 2 clutch cover gaskets on at the same time and the clutch slipped pretty bad, even though it was just a minimal differance in space it seemed to cause some problems. i used liquid gasket on the stator side of my 400 and i remember it causing some kind of problem, i cant really remember what but i just recall it doing somthing bad. gaskets are pretty cheap it better to be safe and get the real deal, so you can have the best performance. that liquid stuff getts everyware, when its compressed it oozes out and i can only imagine it oozes into the oil too, and i doubt thats going to be good for a motor

now that i remember i will add this, when i used it on the stator side it made the starter gears too tight and the starter had trouble turning over, even though gaskets are thin, parts are designed to have a specific tolerance, and sometimes just a little bit will screw it up.

mad440
02-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Ive used the high temp Rtv gasket maker on the clutch, stator, and valve covers and havent had any problems. You have to be aware of how much you use, cant just goop the stuff on and hope it seals, a little goes along way, and you have to give it the proper time to set up, when its ready it pretty much turns into rubber and you dont have to worry about it getting your oil.