PDA

View Full Version : Looking for axis shocks

quadgeek631
02-20-2007, 09:00 AM
I am looking for a set of axis front shocks for my 06 yfz450. Regular or long travel. Preferably set to 160lb mx rider, but i can get them redone. Let me kow what you got. Pics are very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Chino886
02-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by quadgeek631
I am looking for a set of axis front shocks for my 06 yfz450. Regular or long travel. Preferably set to 160lb mx rider, but i can get them redone. Let me kow what you got. Pics are very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Interested in PEPs?

quadgeek631
02-20-2007, 01:30 PM
yeah, give me some details on them. Mesurement from eye to eye also. Thanks a lot for the reply. Oh and of course what are you asking for them?

Chino886
02-20-2007, 03:03 PM
HEy Quadgeek,

They are 19.5" eye to eye, they are quadrate ZPS, 21 click compression adjustable. I am asking $700 shipped to your door. I have the PEP internal spacers that are used to shorten the shock to 19.0" long, but you will need to have a PEP service provider perform this service.

Thanks,
Dave

quadgeek631
02-20-2007, 04:23 PM
So as they are setup now, are they long travel? Also what weight and type of riding were they set to? What type of a-arm setup did you use? Thanks.

Chino886
02-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Yes they are LT, they are 19.5" long, They are set up for 190 lb MX. I have them on V2 LT +2 arms.

spropson
02-21-2007, 07:51 AM
I have a set of Axis tripple rate, dual adjust set up for 160 lb A rider. These shocks are long travel and were used with Janssen outlaw II arms so they are 18.5" long.

Asking $700 plus shipping. I believe they retail for $1425.

quadgeek631
02-21-2007, 08:39 AM
could i get a pic of the axis? Thanks.

quadgeek631
02-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Anybody else have any shocks? I'm Very interested in the axis shocks you got. Let me know. Thanks

quadgeek631
02-24-2007, 05:59 AM
I need these before race season.....anyone??

spropson
02-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Sorry for the delay. I will get you pics tonight.

spropson
02-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Here are a few pics. The current spring set up is a heavy main and a zps spring. This set up is for ice only and lowers the bike significantly. I will be selling thes shocks with the tripple rate MX spring set up. I am an 'A' rider from wisconsin. My race weight is about 158 lbs (although I have packed on a few pounds this winter). I have found that I actually prefer a dual rate set up I came up with over the triple rate, but if you prefer a triple rate, I will sell as such.

These shocks are compression and rebound adjustable. The axis shocks for Janssen long travel a-arms incorporate a different type of rebound adjuster that uses an allen wrench for adjustment. This is done to allow for more travel over the conventional barrel style rebound adjuster.

I do lots of shock work for Janssen Motorsports and therefore have the luxury of being able to rebuild my own stuff on a pretty regular basis. These shocks had complete new seal head assemblies installed at the begining of last season and were rebuilt 7 times through out the year. Since the last rebuild I rode them on a frozen MX track twice and on the ice three times. They are in very good shape.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

spropson
02-26-2007, 09:01 PM
pic #2

spropson
02-26-2007, 09:02 PM
pic #3

spropson
02-26-2007, 09:04 PM
pic #4

quadgeek631
02-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the reply. When you said you weighed 158lbs, I just want to double check, and make sure you didn't mean 185 as a misprint or were you just being very detailed?!!! How much extra do you want for shipping to 17067? Do you take paypal? I think I would just prefer the tripple rate if that's ok. Also to double check, these are 18 1/2" from eye to eye? As long as everything checks out, which it looks like it will, I'll take them. Thanks a lot for all the info.

quadgeek631
02-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Bump...Very Interested!

spropson
03-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Actually I was being very specific. My race weight is 158 lb in my birthday suit. I will send you the shocks with the dual rate set up I used and will include the third spring and associated parts. That way you can decide what direction you want to take.

30 bucks should cover the shipping with insurance. Go ahead and deposit $730 into my pay pal account (spropson@hotmail.com) and I will ship them out on Monday.

quadgeek631
03-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Money sent... Thanks for the extra spring and parts, that will be very nice to decide what I like better. I appreciate it.

quadgeek631
03-01-2007, 08:53 AM
one more thing...Will the zps spring be on with the dual rate setup?

spropson
03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
No, the zps spring is not included axis shocks are set up differently than PEP's. This ZPS spring is for lowering the bike only. Axis shocks use the combined spring rates to determine the ride height and then use the crossover collars to determine at what point in the travel the spring rate changes. You can greatly influence the ride quality of these shocks simply by changing the collar length. The crossover collar lengths control the 'position sensitive' parameter of the shocks where as the valving adjustments (compression and rebound) are shaft speed dependent.

I apologize if I am insulting your understanding of suspension theory. So if you already know all of the above stated info just disregard.

I also have a rear axis shock I am selling if you are interested. This shock is a dual rate dual adjust axis for an '04-'05 swingarm/linkage setup. I personally preferred to run this shock with the '04-'05 swingarm/janssen link combo. The shock retails for $975 + tax, I would sell it for $500 plus shipping. Let me know if your interested.

quadgeek631
03-02-2007, 07:15 AM
So are the front considered a "zero preload" or not? Yes, I am looking for a rear shock to go with it and was kicking myself for not asking. I assume it's all setup the same, and it is as clean as the fronts? Serviced throughout the season and such? Can you box them together for shipping. If you can post up some pics for me to be sure, and let me know how much for shipped and everything. Thanks a lot for the info on the shocks, I do not know too much and it is helpfull, so don't think your insulting me! I'll be waiting to hear from you to send the money.

quadgeek631
03-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Also, does the shock come with the linkage. I have a 2006, will it fit?

quadgeek631
03-04-2007, 11:11 AM
up

spropson
03-04-2007, 08:55 PM
The rear shock and linkage will not fit an '06-'07 swingarm.

The term ZPS realy only applies to PEP's. PEP is the only shock on the market that is truely a zero preload arangement. All other mfg's use a triple rate or quad rate setup in which all the springs contribute to suspension performance. Dont worry, you will be able to get the bike plenty low for motocross. I have rode them all and feel that Axis has the best performing equipment available.

If you know anybody who is looking for parts, in addition to the rear shock I have a Janssen outlaw II swingarm in absolutly perfect condition with fresh powder coat.

quadgeek631
03-05-2007, 06:10 AM
ok, so I guess we will skip out on the rear shock, if it won't work. Did you receive the payment for the front shocks I sent? Let me know when you send out the fronts, and if you could send me a tracking number that would be appreciated. Thanks again.

quadgeek631
03-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks a bunch for the shocks. I couldn't believe they were waiting for me when I got home today. Thanks for all the extra parts and all the setup info. I can't say enough about how much you have helped me out! Thanks again, Sheldon

spropson
03-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Let me know what ya think once you get them on the bike. If your running a stock rear shock for the time being it may feel a little out of balance. A stock rear will more than likely error a bit on the stiff side and that will transfer more load into the front shocks making them feel soft. Once you get a good rear shock, you should be pretty satisfied with the performance.

quadgeek631
03-09-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm having a difficult time finding a used rear axis shock for an 06. Is it a really bad idea to mix shocks? I really don't want to, but it's starting to get to crunch time, and I need to be able to get used to this new setup!

spropson
03-10-2007, 07:49 PM
No, its not a bad idea to mix shock manufacturers. Its all about getting each end working correctly with the other. About 99% of the people out there expect to spend a rediculous amount of money and get shocks that work perfectly right out of the box. This scenerio is almost never true. Shocks need to be tuned into your riding style, weight and skill level by you or your mechanic/setup guy. Nailing your setup is what makes the difference on the track. Not how much money you spent.