PDA

View Full Version : 2006 HRC cam install, exhaust valve/piston interference

gibsojs
02-20-2007, 05:20 AM
Has anybody had problems with the 2006 HRC cam causing exhaust valves to hit pistion crown at about 30 degrees before TDC on exhaust stroke? I have all timing marks aligned and valve clearances to specification yet as I turn over the engine just as the exhaust valves are closing, the cam stalls and it requires additional torque to get the engine to turn over. I assume my valves are crashing. When I loosen the cam holder bolts (4) 1/2 a turn ( about .020 inch ) the problem goes away. Is this normal?

400exrider707
02-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by gibsojs
Has anybody had problems with the 2006 HRC cam causing exhaust valves to hit pistion crown at about 30 degrees before TDC on exhaust stroke? I have all timing marks aligned and valve clearances to specification yet as I turn over the engine just as the exhaust valves are closing, the cam stalls and it requires additional torque to get the engine to turn over. I assume my valves are crashing. When I loosen the cam holder bolts (4) 1/2 a turn ( about .020 inch ) the problem goes away. Is this normal?

No this is not normal, and if your valves were hitting your piston you shouldn't be able to continue turning it over. If you did you bent the valves, but I doubt thats what happened. Bad cam bearings maybe?

thump4863
02-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Your 180 degrees out - loosen the cam and rotate to the next TDC

Sjorge450R
02-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by thump4863
Your 180 degrees out - loosen the cam and rotate to the next TDC

^^^hes right. Your at the TDC of the exhaust stroke.