PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on jetting????

trev10
02-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Guys,
I know there is a lot of information on jetting the 400 on this site, but i'd thought I better throw up another one. I have an 07 model with approx 10-15 hrs on the engine. I have drilled some largish holes in the airbox lid and removed the snorkel(standard air filter). Also removed choke as it would never be needed where I live. Finishing off with a Pro-Circuit T4 Slip On. I have just finished fitting a stage 1 Hotcam. My question is, How does ambient air temp affect jetting??? I have just re jetted using the dynojet kit and the recommendations were to replace the main with a DJ146. The supplied needle is on the 3rd groove. Pilot is standard.
Our ambient air temp here at the moment is 40-45 deg celcius. Just curious as to what some of the guru's think of this setup jetting wise, or should I be going larger for the main.

Thanks in advance ... Hopefully should ride this weekend.

Trev...

1fst400
02-20-2007, 07:42 AM
is it realy 115F out there now. Yikes!!!

that jetting seems fine. the stock filters dont allow a whole lot of flow throu regardless.

trev10
02-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Yep, that is our summer temperatures over here in OZ. Makes for a nice warm ride I can tell you. We have had constant 40-45 deg celcius for at least the last two months now. :mad: :mad:
Would a different filter help do you think. Also forgot to add that we are 1800 ft above sea level.

Trev...

zrpilot
02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by trev10
Guys,
I know there is a lot of information on jetting the 400 on this site, but i'd thought I better throw up another one. I have an 07 model with approx 10-15 hrs on the engine. I have drilled some largish holes in the airbox lid and removed the snorkel(standard air filter). Also removed choke as it would never be needed where I live. Finishing off with a Pro-Circuit T4 Slip On. I have just finished fitting a stage 1 Hotcam. My question is, How does ambient air temp affect jetting??? I have just re jetted using the dynojet kit and the recommendations were to replace the main with a DJ146. The supplied needle is on the 3rd groove. Pilot is standard.
Our ambient air temp here at the moment is 40-45 deg celcius. Just curious as to what some of the guru's think of this setup jetting wise, or should I be going larger for the main.

Thanks in advance ... Hopefully should ride this weekend.

Trev...

The good news, if the temp goes up you will be too rich, which might foul a plug, but should not hurt the motor.

As a general rule I use 2 jet sizes for every 10 degrees F of temp. I use 70 degrees F for baseline.

So if a 146 works at 70 degrees F then when it warms up to 115 F I would use a 138 jet.

Of course the needle and Pilot will also be effected...