PDA

View Full Version : Rate the 450's

ccmuscle22
02-19-2007, 11:17 PM
I think there are many like myself. You can't ride all the 450's at the dealerships, or on different terrains. Looking for opinions on power.
Honda 450r
YZ450
LTR450

Best-
Low
Mid

Best power for
MX
XC
Dunes
All Around

Bigbadfords
02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I have rode each of the three 450's at least once and I will give you my personal opinion. As for the best all around I would say without a doubt the honda 450R. Coming in a very close second place I would say is the YFZ450. The Suzuki defenitely has the advantage in the handling and suspesion categories, but in my opinion they are extremely underpowered on the mid and top end when stock. The YFZ I beleive has the edge over the 450R on the top end, and bottom end I think the YFZ and 450R are very close, but the 450R has an advantage in the mid range. I say that the 450R is without a doubt the best "bang for the buck" and they just have such a much wider range of horsepower and torque combonation. Like I said, I would put the 450R on top, just ahead of the YFZ, then the Suzuki in third because I was not at all impressed by the LT450R, except for the great suspension and handling.

sandmanblue
02-20-2007, 02:13 PM
In race trim, they are all equal. And since NOBODY is going to race a stock machine or even a slightly modded machine in the amateur and pro ranks, there isn't a lot to discuss that hasn't been written to death about.

Not trying to kill this thread - just being realistic about all the Japanese 450's...

Bigbadfords
02-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I do agree, you are absolutely right. And like you said there is NOBODY that is going to race a stock 450!! It is all based on your own personal preference, whichever one you feel most comfortable and can be successful on!

pimpin330ex
02-21-2007, 01:27 PM
ltr all the way

Toadz400
02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm still partial to the 400EX:p . They're all going to be the same when modified, just buy whichever one looks best to you and fits you the best.

Bigbadfords
02-21-2007, 09:02 PM
I agree 100% with you, everyone should ride whatever fits them the best and they feel most comfortable on. I am with you though, I absolutely love the 400EX, they are so reliable and easy to juice up without draining your savings account. I've had my share of different quads and dirtbikes in 2 and 4 strokes, but nothing that I have owned in the past pleases me more than my 400EX!!! Now dont get me wrong, I would never be 100% satisfied if my 400 was bone stock, but with a few hundred bucks in mods I have never been more satisfied with anything!! HONDA 400EX FOR LIFE BABY!!!!

Def-e-nition
02-23-2007, 01:52 AM
I Love my 400 ex . Absolutely . So to avoid a fight I would have said nothing further . But currently , those 3 bikes I feel , are the top of the food chain as far as Im concerned .

I'm quite Interested by what BB Fords said , as I would have thought the LTR to be the strongest puller of the lot , considering It has Fuel injection , and i also note in atv sport mag that they are starting to creep in onto the circuits now as well , with relative success .

I am of course a Honda man , but i will give credit where credit is due , and all 3 are very strong performers . I rate the Trx 450 as the best all rounder for sure . Engine-wise , even the agents are surprised by the number of problems the guys are having with the 06 engine , for some reason ? When i walk in with a long face about owning a Rex , I am quickly reminded about it's Baja win , and it's Solid motor .After doing a susp.450 mod I am more convinced that this bikes stock susp is not as bad as i first made it out to be - certainly on enduro's my hands Feel it big time .

Yamaha . Great bike . great bike . and when played with - Strong . Damn , If 450's weren't so maintenance heavy I'd love to have that much power on tap .Best suspension of the lot with stock , although I think that for Mx - the LTR walks it . Wide , Low , Mean . Lovely . Must say Im quite envious Of the guys getting onto these bikes now , as they are up against stock bikes here , and , with a cherry bomb or power commander , they are the bikes to beat .
We do not have a Gncc set-up here , so few guys have the funds to modify to the extent you guys do , and this favours the Weekend warrior on his LTR . I can feel the gap BB Ford speaks of , but i would have thought the Ltr to be More well received in the 'States than has been mentioned ? As for the other 2 , their performance on the circuit gives them more than enough street credibility .

Winner ?

Hell .

All 3 . ..