PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw 500 on the MX track...

rr outlaw
02-19-2007, 09:38 PM
I just got my 06 Outlaw about 3 months ago and I think it is time to mod it! I will be doing these mods in the near future so that it is still an insane trail machine (like it is now) but so that I can also have a fun day at the track with it. I am not looking to race it competitively. I just want it to be a fun ride and to handle nicely. I know that with the IRS it takes some practice to get it to slide in the corners but I have been working on this and it does not seem like a problem at all to me. What I was looking to do was put a kill switch (I don't know which one), a pipe from aaen performance and an air filter kit from aaen performance. The pipe gives a claimed 8 h.p increase over stock (which is the highest I have found so far) and the air filter is less restrictive. I was also planning on getting a new set of rims and tires but other than that the quad seems preety good in stock form with the exception of the above mods. What do you guys think? :confused:

smokinwrench
02-20-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm pretty sure Big Chuck on here Mxed his outlaw last season with good success. I think it matters more in how good of a rider you are and not which machien you ride in c type class racing.

My 525 will more then likey hit a couple mx races totally stock this season sence we don't have any scheduled harescrambles this year close by.

rr outlaw
02-20-2007, 05:48 AM
Hey Big Chuck, you out there?! How did you like MXing the Outlaw?

X_Da_C
02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I have the aaen intake kit..and its nothing special. Its not a complete 8 hp increase, i don't know where they got the numbers from, but thats way too much for just a pipe and air filter. All the pipes are going to be around the same performance...

To be honest, i've never seen the aaen
pipe on an outlaw...it's just been hmf and pure polaris

rr outlaw
02-21-2007, 05:52 AM
This is what it looks like on the outalaw..

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/RRR250/PolarisOutlawPowerPipe.jpg

X_Da_C
02-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Well, i take that back. Someone from predator owners first ordered it, but they sent it back cause of the ****ty job and it didn't fit right. But that was a year ago when the outlaw just came out...I guess its worth a try, but don't expect 8 hp gain

rr outlaw
02-21-2007, 06:28 AM
What pipe do you recomend or have any experience on with your outlaw? BTW...I still can't get over your front wheels! They are the nicest looking atv rims I have ever seen!

eerhard09
02-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Not much in the way of pipe selection other than the Polaris duals (slip-on only) for $800, HMF for a little over $200, and the AAEN slip-on for $349.... They will all be pretty close in performance so it is whatever you like the look of better and how much you are willing to pay! The HMF is by far the cheapest and they have good quality and great customer support. I would also think you could get the can powercoated whatever color you want as well (for $20 extra....). I had an HMF slip-on for my Z400 and it was nice with a good sound (and an available quiet core that doesn't rob power).

calds650
02-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Muzzy should have an exhaust out for the Outlaw soon.

eerhard09
02-21-2007, 08:18 AM
it would be nice to see a smaller profile, maybe oval, pipe for the Outlaw! Something that looks similar to some of the pipes for the LTR450 would be nice!!!

rr outlaw
02-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by eerhard09
Not much in the way of pipe selection other than the Polaris duals (slip-on only) for $800, HMF for a little over $200, and the AAEN slip-on for $349.... They will all be pretty close in performance so it is whatever you like the look of better and how much you are willing to pay! The HMF is by far the cheapest and they have good quality and great customer support. I would also think you could get the can powercoated whatever color you want as well (for $20 extra....). I had an HMF slip-on for my Z400 and it was nice with a good sound (and an available quiet core that doesn't rob power).

Could you post the link for the HMF? I couldn't find it. :confused:

calds650
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.hmfengineering.com/

rr outlaw
02-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by calds650
http://www.hmfengineering.com/

I knew that this was the sight but I couldn't find the specifics on the actual pipe for the outlaw.

eerhard09
02-21-2007, 09:04 AM
It is only listed on the main page under "New Products"

http://www.hmfengineering.com/images/outlawmain.jpg

rr outlaw
02-21-2007, 09:06 AM
thanks! I think I will get that one becasue it is the least expensive and it has good gains, I think.

eerhard09
02-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Ha ha, I didn't pay attention to my own post, they actually list a full system there as well! That is probably around the $429-$459 mark which would be a typical price range for them

rr outlaw
02-21-2007, 09:37 AM
If you look at the dyno chart on the hmf site, the red line (stock h.p) looks like it only goes to around 30 h.p? Could this be right? I remember hearing somewhere that the outlaw was almost breaking 50:huh. Which one is right?

GE4x4
02-21-2007, 09:42 AM
My brother Pred with a pipe, CFM airbox with lid off and dyno tuned, was at 40 rwhp with knobbies on. With slicks, he would be around 43hp. So in stock form I believe the 500 only puts out about 35hp at the wheels.

Evasiveone
02-21-2007, 10:32 AM
That is not as much of a gain as I thought it would be for the HMF. I wonder how much of a gain you get from just taking out the spark arrestor off the stock pipe?

How heavy is the stock exhaust on the Outlaw compared to the Polaris duels or HMF?

eerhard09
02-21-2007, 12:33 PM
I'll bet the stock exhaust is heavy! That thing is effin huge!

calds650
02-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Polaris duals are about 1.5 lbs lighter than stock HMF even more.

rr outlaw
02-21-2007, 01:30 PM
How does a polaris Crf450 outlaw sound? I think that would make a sweet hybrid!

TYLER329
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
The HMF is 6 pounds lighter than stock.

18thecaptain
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Muzzy has a full or slip on exhaust. pro designs has the pro flow kits but are back ordered til may. i'm waiting..
oh ya muzzy are oval. gains:2% slipon 9% full.

Big Chuck
04-13-2007, 08:14 PM
RR Outlaw, sorry it took so long to get with you, I've been busy racing and wrenching. I have hit two MX races so far this year. I am sitting out of the GNCC's this year so that in the spring I will have Tireballs, nerfs ect. for the 525 that I will buy then and run the whole GNCC series in 2008. So this year I am running the CRA MX series and think I can get in the top five at years end. Also, I am racing senior class- 30 and over. It aint no C class I can tell you that. Anyway, here's what I have done to my 06 Outlaw. Rear tires:18" ITP MX 6 - Fronts-20" MX 6, went to a 15 tooth counter sprocket to counter act the gear/speed reduction of the smaller tires. Can pitch it sideways in the corners now. Dual WB slip on, WB air filter kit- airbox lid off, went up two sizes on main jet, went up two sizes on pilot jet for midrange- big improvement! CDI with extra 1000 rpm, highest fuel octane that I can get from pump gas. I have my suspension triple rates from HPD with added rezzies up front dialed in for my weight for MX. It is very competitve with the modded jap quads out there, would like to see what a 525 with my mods would do though. Was going to go with the Wisco high compression piston in I think the 104 cm size, I think it would be around a 530cc???Anyway, I have talked to a friend in R&D at Polaris that helps the factory riders and he said to do what I have done so far plus the piston for quick, reliable dead engine starts and that is it. Messing with the cams ect and you start to get into reliability issues. So, that what I have done and trophied in all 7 MX races last year that I ran. Got one trophy in two races so far this year. PM me if you have any other questions and also mods that I have done to it to bullet proof it for cross country races. Later...

rr outlaw
04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Hey Chuck, do you have any pics of the outlaw in race trim to share?

katch26
04-18-2007, 01:28 PM
damn sr class starts at 30? I officially feel old now thanks big chuck lol

Flynbryan19
04-18-2007, 01:42 PM
And Vet starts at 25..... :eek2: lol

Big Chuck
04-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Sorry about not getting a pic on, people ask me to with all the upgrades/improvements I have done to it for pics. I live so far out in the middle of nowhere that my dial up sux and my computer is old and so slow. i don't have a digital camera to upload a pic into my puter. PM me and send me your email addy and I will list my mods and how to's in it. I think that some of my upgrades really help bulletproof it and make parts last alot longer...got my info on some of it from J. Gallagher and a friend at Polaris's R&D.