the fat kid
02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
ok first here is my set up

04 arctic cat dvx
dg xcellerator slip on
jet kit
k&n air filter
dg nerfs

and second, im 90% trail riding right now and semi looking into racing so i dont wanna be too wide idk what +2+1 really means i know it means 2" wider but on each arm or total width, and are shocks a good idea when you change the a arms?

i wanna put some money into it but i dont know which way to go i definatley dont need anymore power so i figured suspension, im on a budget kinda, so i was lookin at like the asr a arms or full flight, and what would be a good "economy shock" i guess and is a extended axle needed also??

sorry so long and thanks in advance
tfk

ohsobad_chevy
02-19-2007, 10:17 PM
+2 is 2" wider.........+1 is 1" forward. Yes....the aftermarket a arms will not benefit you enough to justify buying them unless you got new shocks.

:cool:

"THE ShoP"
02-20-2007, 01:26 AM
some +2 a-arms an some used elka shocks(or what ever good used shock you can get) an a +2 +4 axle would be good for starters

quader400
02-20-2007, 08:04 AM
+2+1 is 2 wider 1 forward, if you go any wider you will want to get an axle for sure, and for shocks depending if you want new or used. new i would buy a set of works since it sounds like your not looking to spend to much otherwise you could buy and better set of used shocks however then you would probably have to send them somewhere to be revalved which would start to cost alot.

400exrider707
02-20-2007, 09:50 AM
If your a 90% trail rider I would stick with stock width stuff and get a good set of shocks. They will be the biggest improvement single handedly.

bradley300
02-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
If your a 90% trail rider I would stick with stock width stuff and get a good set of shocks. They will be the biggest improvement single handedly.

i agree

ohsobad_chevy
02-20-2007, 10:12 AM

I also agree......If you ride trails mostly, you definately dont want to go with +2 a arms, but a good set of shocks will make a world of difference in the woods. :cool:

the fat kid
02-20-2007, 06:36 PM
thanks for the responses fellas, um so works shocks are good, um i guess the ones that fit the honda 450r will fit mine any others that would fit as well with out revalving??

400exrider707
02-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by the fat kid
thanks for the responses fellas, um so works shocks are good, um i guess the ones that fit the honda 450r will fit mine any others that would fit as well with out revalving??

Well the 450 ones will NOT to start, they might fit but they are definitely not going to work right. For your machine its either DVX KFX or LTZ that will work...:cool:

the fat kid
02-20-2007, 07:30 PM
umm i think i saw that some of the newer dvx/kfx/ltz have resivoir shocks would that be an upgrade from what i have now...

dg26
02-21-2007, 12:33 PM
You should get a G-Force Axle from rocky mountain atv (199.99) and either the i4500 (1399.95) or i5500(1849.95) front suspension systems from hydrodynamics the i5500 has resivoirs and the i4500 doesn't. the i4500 would be plenty good for you though
thats what i would do if i was in your situation

Flynbryan19
02-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by the fat kid
umm i think i saw that some of the newer dvx/kfx/ltz have resivoir shocks would that be an upgrade from what i have now...

Yes, the 05-07 shocks are fully adjustable and can be revalved by C&D, Derisi Racing, or (my favorite) GT Thunder. They will be WORLDS better than the stock 03-04' throw away shocks. I have a set of 05' fronts that I'll sell ya. If your interested shoot me a PM. ;)

"THE ShoP"
02-21-2007, 11:40 PM

I ride trails almost all the time an never had a problem with my +2 in the front an +4 in the rear.you get used to it,an if the trails realy tight just slow down,you don't have to go flying down every trail.

It makes for a way better handiling atv,a stock width setup isn't to stable at high speeds or any for that matter

ibthegator
02-22-2007, 05:31 AM

I also agree with exrider, a great set of shocks (that means front and rear) and possibly a dampner will make your bike feel like it can do anything.

northwest Texas
02-22-2007, 06:44 AM
I think the first thing I would is to buy a set of Works G series front shocks. Give Colby a call at C&D and he just got my b-i-l a full set for a great price. By the time you mess with buying someone else's and rebuilding them, you'll have just about as much in them.

Just having the front shocks on will do wonders. Then you might look into rebuilding your rear shock if you're on a small budget.

After that, to go wider, even buying used isn't cheap. You'll need a +4 axle (most are adjustable in that you can go either +2 inches wider which will put you at 48" or +4 inches wider which will put you at the max. of 50") and a set of either +2 arms which will put you at 48" wide w/stock wheels or +3 arms which will get you to 50" wide. Just a note, on axles, they tell you total width, with arms they tell you each side so +2 arms will make your quad 4 inches wider. The +2+1 is 2inches wider and 1inch forward.

When you put longer arms on it will make your shocks softer because there is more leverage out there, so when you do that, maybe you'll only need stiffer springs which is something you can swap out. You don't have to take the shock apart to do that.

Whatever you do, mod the chassis first and then the engine. What good is a fast engine if you can't ride it fast. A well suspended/comfy quad will go faster down the trail with a stock engine than a fast engine and a poor chassis.

400exrider707
02-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by "THE ShoP"
I ride trails almost all the time an never had a problem with my +2 in the front an +4 in the rear.you get used to it,an if the trails realy tight just slow down,you don't have to go flying down every trail.

It makes for a way better handiling atv,a stock width setup isn't to stable at high speeds or any for that matter

What are you running for suspension?

I would rather ride a quad with a good set of zps shocks and stock width, than a wider quad with stock shocks.

"THE ShoP"
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
What are you running for suspension?

I would rather ride a quad with a good set of zps shocks and stock width, than a wider quad with stock shocks.

I run custom +2 jansen long travel A-Arms an elka long travel shocks

KB Motorsports
02-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I have a multi-purpose YFZ450-- I really like the plus two a-arms (MX,Trail riding, hill climbing). I would get a-arms first ranging from 475-660.00, and then when you have the time and money I would look into TCS racing. I've gotten them to rebuild stock shocks for a few people and received excellent reviews from my customers. You wont have any problem with plus 2 a-arms in the woods unless you use your dvx as a bull dozer. :D Then you might get caught between two large trees if your not paying attention, but for the most part a lot of trails are wide enough.

400exrider707
02-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by KB Motorsports
I have a multi-purpose YFZ450-- I really like the plus two a-arms (MX,Trail riding, hill climbing). I would get a-arms first ranging from 475-660.00, and then when you have the time and money I would look into TCS racing. I've gotten them to rebuild stock shocks for a few people and received excellent reviews from my customers. You wont have any problem with plus 2 a-arms in the woods unless you use your dvx as a bull dozer. :D Then you might get caught between two large trees if your not paying attention, but for the most part a lot of trails are wide enough.

I think this all depends on location. I know my area you wouldn't want +anythings and a stock LTR would have trouble going down our trails