PDA

View Full Version : Bad clutch?

smokey480
02-19-2007, 07:55 PM
So I was out ridding at the dunes this past weekend and had a problem with my bike. The clutch lever is now really tight and has no play like before. I tried to adjust it but no good. The bike would go into gear but not go anywhere. I let it cool off and tried it a few hours later and if I reved it way up I coulds get it to go a little but not to much. Does this sound like a bad clutch or could it be something else? Its an 05 and I bought it new and I cant believe that I could have went through a cutch like that. Any help would be great. Also if it is a clutch how hard is that to replace myself, if fairly mechanical but not sure about all of the adjustments... thanks alot

1fst400
02-19-2007, 08:39 PM
does it do the same thing in every gear?

try taking the clutch cablle off completely. and starting it in gear. Altho unsafe, it is a good test to narow things down. good open area is a good idear for this one.

Did you change the oil riecently? what brand oil?

smokey480
02-19-2007, 10:39 PM
It does do the same thing in every gear. I actually took it down to the shop to have it serviced before my trip since I didnt have the time to do everything so I know the oil got done just dont know what kind. Someone told me its almost inpossible to burn up a clutch, is that true? It wouldnt move at all until after I let it cool down and then it would barely move if I got the RPM's up high enough. Does that help narrow it down? The clutch lever is really tight now and had plenty of play in it before.

CDCHONDAS
02-20-2007, 05:59 AM
its definatly not impossible to burn up a clutch and I have to think thats what happend in your case.

speedphreake
02-20-2007, 06:15 AM
I would try unhooking the clutch cable down at the motor and work the clutch lever. Maybe the lever or the cable is damaged and won't let the clutch release. If the work freely then you know its in the clutch. I'm no expert but its something else to try.

1fst400
02-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by speedphreake
I would try unhooking the clutch cable down at the motor and work the clutch lever. Maybe the lever or the cable is damaged and won't let the clutch release. If the work freely then you know its in the clutch. I'm no expert but its something else to try.

I agree.

also find out what brand oil they put in your motor. if they put a oil with friction additives it will kill your clutch.

when a clutch quits out usually is not all at once. it takes a while and gets worse and worse.

smokey480
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I just cant imagine that my clutch could go bad in less than a year of being on the showroom follr! I dont ride it that much and not real hard on it when I do. Im pretty disappoined to say the least. Is there one aftermarket clutch that is better than any others? I hear Barnett is pretty good.

Which 450?
02-22-2007, 03:59 PM
You may have had the clutch out of adjustment, I know a guy that burnt up a clutch on the 3rd ride of a brand new z400, didnt know he had to keep the cable adjusted.

smokey480
02-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Well I just had it in the shop and dropped $300 for a tune up, oil change, valve adjustment, and jet kit. You think they would have adjusted that...

1fst400
02-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Oem fibers and plates are the best to get.

Im tellin you that they probly used the wrong oil. Find out!!!

smokey480
02-24-2007, 05:06 PM
I called them but they said that they used the same stuff that they always use. I guess I have to take their word for it since there is no way for me to prove anything. They have been in buisness for a long time and have always treated me good so there isnt much I can do at this point other than replace it and possibly not go back there again.

smokey480
02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Now im completely confused. I took the throttle cable off and the wheels spun just fine. Then I put it back on and its working pretty good but not perfect. I loostened the cable as far as it would go and I still dont have enough play in the clutch lever. I think I might just take it to the shop to have it diagnosed. I really dont want to change out a perfectly good OEM clutch if it isnt bad. Any other ideas of what I can do to troubleshoot this?