PDA

View Full Version : getting a yfz ready for mx

PowerJunkie
02-19-2007, 06:26 PM
im looking into racing mx when i get a yfz sometime this spring and since ive never raced mx before i asking you what are the things to get for the bike to make it agressive. keeping it at 5,000 or less. ive done a fair amount of research and have made a list myself but i need to see if i was right on things. i dont kare to much for brands since everyone has their own companys. thanks alot.

300excrazy98
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I would say, Full set of aftermarket shocks, a arms, axle and loc nut, handlebars, kill switch, pro pegs, tires and wheels, and possible an axle carrier

4bidden
02-22-2007, 10:46 AM
If you are just starting out in MX then the best "mod" you can get is seat time!

muddy400EX
02-22-2007, 04:54 PM
since your just starting i wouldnt say you need shocks and a-arms yet (unless you have extra money that is) i would say handlebars, tires/wheels, exhaust, nerf bars. maybe a cam etc.

muddy400EX
02-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 4bidden
If you are just starting out in MX then the best "mod" you can get is seat time!

and a whole lot of what this guy said:macho

PowerJunkie
02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
im well aware of the seat time but im just asking what mods would be best.

PowerJunkie
02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
what kind of engine mods would you do?

oldskoolex400
02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
nothing internal wise, if you have never raced you dont need that power right away, get a pro flo kit, slip on pipe and jet it accordingly and it will be good to go engine wise

JR3
02-23-2007, 04:30 AM
dont bother with a slip on just buy a full system because when the time comes when you go internal shell be able to breathe. B4 you even touch the a arms i would get long travel a arms and long travel suspension. Rear axle. And long travel rear. Then some 18 inch rears and 20 inch fronts. That will make you faster then any engine work.

SRH
02-23-2007, 07:15 AM
nerf bars, handle bars, invest in a good steering damper, precision or elka, buy a set of rear hipers with some 18 inch mxrs and throw some 20 inch mxrs on the front when you start finsihing midpack in b class then invest in long travel suspension etc until then your just wasting money, i know your gonna say well i want it to look good, just focus on function for now, some guys get into mx and its not for them oh by the way a good slip on and use oem jets from yamaha and y oull be set, i dont care what anyone says pretty much all the pipes on the yfz give the same gains

TWILES
02-23-2007, 04:44 PM
YZ cam mod, FULL exhaust, lid off airbox, YZ needle and jet accordingly, MX TIRES, nerfbars and killswitch. You'll win C Class when you learn to jump it and stay on the power with that. Rear 8" beadlocks would be up to you. You wouldn't be waisting money if you got them first. When you can outride it, buy the LONGTRAVEL a-arms and a good set of shocks and axle. That would get you through B Class. A Class will require a little motorwork.

I'd do the YZ cam mod. You don't want to go out with a midrange motor. You need it to pull as far as it will go before the rev limiter kicks in.

PowerJunkie
02-24-2007, 04:09 PM
can a hotcams be used with the cam mod?

oldskoolex400
02-24-2007, 04:45 PM
theres no use in getting different cams really, with the cam mod the yfz cams are awesome

YFZ#426
02-24-2007, 06:25 PM
seat time man!!

atva_63
02-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Suspsion first. don't waste money on bling. The cam mod is plenty
If you deside to get cams (after suspension) Don't go with hot cams they will help but a web cam is better on the yamaha. Hot cams work great for the Honda. A slip on would be fine the factory head pipe is big enough for a stock motor with minor mods. I raced A-class last year with a slip-on and stock motor. They make plenty of power if it is tunned right. For starting out that would work great. Just make the right choices on your mods. Get parts that work good together. $3000 shocks and a bad
a-arm's wouldn't be the best.

yfz450rida
03-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Any experienced racer will tell you that good supension and suspension setup will do alot more for you that a 55hp motor, why built a motor if your suspen. cant handle it. The best thing you can do to start out with is shocks, arms, axle. Put a pipe slip on or full anything will help the motor rev. You don't neep to put cams, pistons and port it. Just get the bike to handle. When you have a year under your belt or you fine yourself pinned all the time then look into a motorwork. Ask your self when your riding are you really lookig for more power its nice but do you need it right away. If you cant put the power down through good suspension and tires then why put more power out to get wasted. Just cus your motor is putting out 60hp doesn't mean it going all to the ground. my .02 are to get the suspension upgraded and dial it it it will make u faster. ohh yeah and seat time...lol atva_63 is right u would be surprised to findout that alot of fast guys are running that pace with nearly stock motors, those are the guys that know how to dial suspension for track conditions. Find guys that are fast and ask them those are the guys that will tell u the truth and info that your looking for!