PDA

View Full Version : Questions about suspension for my style of riding.

slodsm
02-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Well the power/traction mods I wanted to do to my ex are complete. She is fast enough for me to enjoy at the moment so the next step is suspension but I don't really know where to go so I have questions.

First odd, what does +1+2 mean when it comes to A arms? I know I want to go wider on both the front and the rear but I am lost when it comes to sizing. I have also read that I can't use stock shocks with aftermarket arms becuase the increased leverage will cause premature death to the shocks.

What I am looking for is an inexpensive (I know that inexpensive is a relative term) front end to put on it. I have read about ASR, fullflight, and all the other brands that are on the lower end of the spectrum as far as pricing and they are in the range I am looking at, just wondering about durability. I don't ride MX as my knees can't take the beating anymore so I do a lot of woods/OHV park riding. I ride at a fast pace but not a lot of air anymore because I just can't take it.

Also, what shocks would be a good deal to go with, 450r's or do I need to go aftermarket? Thanks.

CRich[814]
02-19-2007, 04:51 PM
cant help much here, i ride bikes lol. works shocks are damn cheap. used shocks are cheap too lol.

+1 is one more inch on both sides.
+2 is two more inches on both sides.
+3 (etc) is the number of inches on both sides.
+2+1 means two inches longer and one inch higher on both sides.

BigFish
02-19-2007, 05:14 PM
+2+1, means you will gain an inch of wheel base by moving the front wheels up an inch. As far as good cheap suspension, works or 450r shocks set up for your a-arms, weight, and riding style will hook you up w/o costing u a fortune

02-19-2007, 05:21 PM
My front end mods below ran $1,200.

I'm very satisfied with them, and don't beleive you can get more for less $$$$.

In fact, I don't believe you can get more until you spend about $1,900.

And then that is debatable.

hondaracer57
02-19-2007, 05:22 PM
id get either plus 1 or plus 2 a-arms and 450r shocks in the front (about 600 bucks right there)then in the rear u can get a G Force axle plus 2-4(bout 200 bucks or less i think my buddy got one for 150 some were not sure though)...but for trail ridin 450r fronts are perfect and as for the rear shock if u wanna do some thing with it u can just send it out too gt thunder or c&d if u want but u probably dont have too........

j450rking
02-19-2007, 05:44 PM
i would get 450r front shocks and +2 a arms and get a durablue axle off ebay for like $150 used

slodsm
02-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I used to be a two wheeler guy so I know the importance of having the shocks revalved/sprung for my weight, I was really just worrying that the 450r's may not cut it but now I don't have that concern.

Any recommendations on brands of A arms?

garandman, I know I am going to end up spending about what you did give or take, I just want the most bang for my buck you know?

I learned the hard way in drag racing that a smart man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others :chinese:

I just want to make sure the money I spend will be in the right place.