PDA

View Full Version : Attention Outlaw Duners

mrshoer
02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Are you guys able to carve bowls and slide around etc like a straight axle rear end? I've been chompin' at the bit to buy one of these bikes but the IRS has got me curious. Does it sway a lot when slidin' through turns? Or does it stay relativley flat?

calds650
02-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I have had the 500 for over a year and just got back from my first trip to the dunes on the 525. On the 525 all you need are tires and a pipe if you want too. I would re-jet the carb (comes a little lean from the factory). The Outlaw has a lot of traction and front sand sires are a must too turn sharp. It stays flat in the turn but does not really slide through a turn more like riding on rails. It can slide and through a roost but it takes a different technique too duet. I had a Predator and a DS650 before I got the Outlaw 500, I Sold the Predator; I can ride all day on the Outlaw and not fell like I just went 15 rounds with Ali. Now I have the 525 and I may have to sell my DS650. If you like too ride all day and go from bowl too bowl in 4th and 5th gear I would check out the Outlaw 525

88 zilla
02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Everyone I have talked to said to stay away from the outlaw if you ride on the dunes.

eerhard09
02-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 88 zilla
Everyone I have talked to said to stay away from the outlaw if you ride on the dunes.

EVERYONE? Have they ever been on an Outlaw in the dunes? I haven't but I soon will be on my 525. I think it will just be different and you may just need to learn a little different riding technique! Still fun though!!!

calds650
02-21-2007, 05:50 AM

Why is does every thing any other quad does in the dunes but has a way more comfortable ride

mrshoer
02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
The IRS was my attraction to the Outlaw. I'm just afraid that'll act more like our utility quads and lean to the outside. Twice now, I've ate SH*T HARD with my Sportsman trying to slide through turns. But then again, it do weigh a lot more and it ain't no sport quad!

eerhard09
02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mrshoer
. But then again, it do weigh a lot more and it ain't no sport quad!

That might be your problem right there!!!:D If you go with the 525 you will save yourself a couple hundred pounds and have good power to break the rears loose!

calds650
02-21-2007, 04:11 PM
The 525 slides great for me. Just be sure at the end of the slide you are pointed where you want to go before you give it more gas.

88 zilla
02-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Everyone I have talked to said to stay away from the outlaw if you ride on the dunes. I really like the outlaw 525 but the dealers and all the magazine articles written about it all say that it works great on everything but sand. 80% of my riding is on sand so I would like to know that it works as good in the sand as everywhere else. I don't mean to take over this thread but if it works great in the sand also I will be at my dealers door step tomorrow.

Evasiveone
02-22-2007, 07:25 AM
The only write ups on the 525 have been from the test ride Polaris gave the mags on preproduction machines back in November and that was in the desert and not on sand.

I think the mags do a lot of assumptions in their articles and just go with the stereotypes of IRS not doing well in sand and not cornering well since that is generally accepted as fact so it is easy to put in an article.

However, if you talk to people that actually have the 525 I think you will get a much different response.

calds650
02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
The 06 had problems with 2 foot whoops the rears would pack up after about the 20th whoops. A simple rework or new shocks solved that problem. The 525 shocks are way better and the ride is great in the dunes. I spend most of my time in 3rd and 4th gear and 5th in big bowls.

somewon
04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I just got back from oklahoma and my 525 did great!! the sand was hard, which made ruts stay around a lot longer. the only problems I noticed was that in the trails where there was a lot of loamy soft sand the outlaw really wanted to go strait, it would push the fronts so a lot of body english was required. but comparing that to how my 400ex did in the sand (underpowered, poor ride quality), I would take my 525 every time. The only time I had a rough ride was when both of my rear tires went flat.

eerhard09
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
somewon, are you running a front dune tire or the stockers? I have heard that the Outlaw really benefits from a front ribbed tire in the sand....

somewon
04-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I was using the stockers, in hindsight I think a pair of ribbed fronts would improve the push. As a side note, the rims I have on my sandstars are offset, and I would not recommend using an offset rim to anyone wanting to make their outlaw turn sharply, they were also a contributing factor to the push.

OutlawBill
04-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I notice a big difference when I put front ITP Sand Stars on my Outlaw 500. 22X8X10 work better at Glamis. You get more flotation in the soft sand.

eerhard09
04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
I notice a big difference when I put front ITP Sand Stars on my Outlaw 500. 22X8X10 work better at Glamis. You get more flotation in the soft sand.

Calds650/OutlawBill, it was your recommendation that influenced me get the 22x8x10 fronts for my 525! I will give them a try in a month!!!!