PDA

View Full Version : Pep Zps ?

fiveOnick
02-19-2007, 08:28 AM
If a set of PEP shocks has the small thin spring at the top making them quad rate does that also mean they are the ZPS models or could they be limit mass?

02-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by fiveOnick
If a set of PEP shocks has the small thin spring at the top making them quad rate does that also mean they are the ZPS models or could they be limit mass?

That should be ZPS. The thin spring is week so it makes it sag.

NacsMXer
02-19-2007, 08:48 AM

That top thin spring is the ZPS spring. They are not quad rate, they are triple rate ;)

Limited Mass models lack the ZPS spring / ride height adjustment.

fiveOnick
02-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
That top thin spring is the ZPS spring. They are not quad rate, they are triple rate ;)

Limited Mass models lack the ZPS spring / ride height adjustment.

They have a blue, white, red, and a small silver or tan colored spring. Thats 4 different springs, I would say thats quad rate not triple. But the results seem to be unanimous, small spring at the top = ZPS

NacsMXer
02-20-2007, 07:21 AM
They have a blue, white, red, and a small silver or tan colored spring. Thats 4 different springs, I would say thats quad rate not triple. But the results seem to be unanimous, small spring at the top = ZPS

You don't count the ZPS spring as a "rate" since it has no rate.....it is only there to take up the sag on the machine and keep pressure on the other 3 springs below it. ZPS means zero preload meaning at rest, there is no static pressure on the 3 main springs (only the small pressure the ZPS spring exerts). If it was not there and you tried to set the ride height low, those 3 springs would all be floating loose chattering around every time the front end left the ground. Having run these shocks for several years, I think I would know. Not trying to be smart, but I am talking from personal experience that's all.

400exrider707
02-20-2007, 07:37 AM
You still include the ZPS spring when you call them "triple rated" or "quad rate"

02-20-2007, 07:43 AM
If the "ZPS" spring is only on to stop the springs from flopping around when the tires lift in the air then would running a shorter spring work the same except for the floppy springs?

fiveOnick
02-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Ok, if thats what PEP calls it thats fine. TCS has three and ones a ZPS spring and they say triple rate. Doesnt matter to me really I just wanted to make sure they were ZPS thanks.

fiveOnick
02-20-2007, 09:35 AM
On another note what would you guys recommend for dunes. PEP ZPS or Custom axis triple rate. I have ran Axis before and really like them. I run +1 arms so that I can still trail ride some but like to run quite a bit of sag so that I have great stability and soak up the whoops at OK well. Is one shock really going to be better than the other you think?

02-20-2007, 09:41 AM
On another note what would you guys recommend for dunes. PEP ZPS or Custom axis triple rate. I have ran Axis before and really like them. I run +1 arms so that I can still trail ride some but like to run quite a bit of sag so that I have great stability and soak up the whoops at OK well. Is one shock really going to be better than the other you think?

ZPS is not really that good in the dunes. You want to sit taller from what I here.

bwamos
02-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by nacs420
ZPS is not really that good in the dunes. You want to sit taller from what I here.

I couldn't see where it would cause an issue.. you're not really going to high center on anything. ;)

02-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
I couldn't see where it would cause an issue.. you're not really going to high center on anything. ;)

I think it's because of jumping reasons. Get big air out in the dunes and the zps would only make the landing worse.

fiveOnick
02-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by nacs420
I think it's because of jumping reasons. Get big air out in the dunes and the zps would only make the landing worse.

I dont really get big air in the dunes, I am more concerned with stability and soaking up high speed bumps. Any jumping I do is not going to be too high.

NacsMXer
02-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You still include the ZPS spring when you call them "triple rated" or "quad rate"

On a PEP shock, how is this true? The ZPS spring is so weak that it is fully collapsed with the quad just sitting there. If it is fully collapsed with no real suspension action, then how does it function as a spring with an actual "rate" to it when the suspension is functioning? Granted we are dealing with trivial semantics here but to me, PEP shocks have always been triple rate. Small red spring = soft rate, middle white spring = medium rate, lower blue spring = hard rate. The ZPS spring serves no function to the actual suspension action, so I don't see how it can be counted as a "rate" :confused:

PEP literature on ZPS shocks:

"The 'Zero Pre-Load System' is our unique design that has adjustable ride height so the chassis can be set at a low ride height while having long travel. For example a vehicle with 12 inches of travel could be set to sit at a height of a vehicle with 9 inches of travel and be adjusted in height up or down from there.

This provides a low center of gravity that increases cornering speed. The chassis floats on the suspension for maximum weight transfer and traction for faster acceleration off starts, out of corners and lift for jumps. By isolating the chassis from the suspension this way, ZPS reduces impact and fatigue to both the chassis and rider. Smoother and more controllable means faster. PEP suspension has won too many championships to list.

All ZPS suspensions come pre-set from the information taken when ordered and come with set-up and fine tuning explanation sheets.

Adjustable triple rate springs, unique multi-sensing damping, unique ride height adjustment, external damping adjustment. "