PDA

View Full Version : New to 400EX

dajogejr
02-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Hey all, just got my 400EX last week, new to owning a four stroke...got a drag banshee, so...this is gonna be my play and trail bike.

A few questions:
I've heard the WB CDI is the tops (other than a programmable Dyna)
Not looking to spend a lot of coin, is this a good mod, how much, and where to get one? (WB CDI)

I'm in MI, bike has a K&N in the full airbox and a WB pipe, full header and can on back.

Stock cam, etc.
I plan on removing the air box lid, and right now it is hovering around 20 Deg. F.

Any idea on where to start for jetting for cold temps, then again for warmer temps?

Any help is greatly appreciated in cutting down my 4 stroke learning curve!

HondaEXrider22
02-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Sounds good. Is the pipe a WB R4? I would remove the lid and jet it at this: 42 pilot, 165 main, 3 clip from top. Im no guru at jetting, and maybe somebody will help me out.

Honda#4
02-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Start with a 42 pilot and a 155 or a 158 main, needle in the 3rd slot from the top and 2 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw.

dajogejr
02-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys...I now have a rough starting point. Honestly, I don't know what is in it now. It needs an axle and bearings (coming from another member...)

I was happy to see I peeled back the front shock wear covers, and this bike has works triple rate w/o rezzies already up front...bonus.

Not sure of the exact WB pipe, will have to look later.

Honda#4
02-19-2007, 08:28 AM
All i need to know is weather it's a Full or Slip-on.

dajogejr
02-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Sorry, it is full.
(See, I'm a banshee guy...LOL )

My buddy is four stroke guy, had an old 440 EX, and said it is in fact the full exhaust motor to tail.

ImplodedMindZ
02-19-2007, 08:48 AM
i wouldnt run wb cdi, i just have heard mixed reviews on them. If i were u i would save some more money up and get a cam. you would probably be more happy w/ the gains you get from that.

dajogejr
02-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Plan on a cam, when I'm ready to do some top end maintenance.

A CDI is a quick, plug in and instant 1000 RPM and I imagine a slight advance in the timing curve, no?

ImplodedMindZ
02-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Most people will say and i believe it that by the time you get to the higher RPMs that the CDI gives you the stock 400ex even w/ a full exhaust has stopped makin much power. Really a CDI is only much use to highly modified motors in the aspect of increase in RPM. If you decide to get a CDI though you should do a bit of research as to which one to get. The WB one some people have had starting issues w/ and some havent kinda hit and miss. I have a magnum and i have had no problems.

Honda#4
02-19-2007, 08:59 AM
If you have a full then try a 160 main that might be better than what I gave you before.

dajogejr
02-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
Most people will say and i believe it that by the time you get to the higher RPMs that the CDI gives you the stock 400ex even w/ a full exhaust has stopped makin much power. Really a CDI is only much use to highly modified motors in the aspect of increase in RPM. If you decide to get a CDI though you should do a bit of research as to which one to get. The WB one some people have had starting issues w/ and some havent kinda hit and miss. I have a magnum and i have had no problems.

Funny...my buddy that had the 440EX had the same CDI, Magnum...but he thought the WB was the ticket. Since Magnum is made right here in MI...I might just pick one of those up...
Thanks for your help...and thanks for the jet tips to all!!!

If I can help any of you in the banshee world, let me know...:)

400exrider707
02-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by dajogejr
Funny...my buddy that had the 440EX had the same CDI, Magnum...but he thought the WB was the ticket. Since Magnum is made right here in MI...I might just pick one of those up...
Thanks for your help...and thanks for the jet tips to all!!!

If I can help any of you in the banshee world, let me know...:)

The only ones you should look at buying are TC racing, GT Thunder, or a programable one such as dyna. The others are xr250 boxes, rebadged and resold, and they WILL give you starting problems. They are made to spin an xr250 motor and they will just not work good. Some say "I have never had a problem" well give it time and they will. Better to buy it right the first time.

Also the TC and GT Thunder ones come with a different ignition curve as well as the raised limit.

dajogejr
02-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Wow...good info. I have a dyna for my drag bike, not really looking to put that kinda coin into my play bike (yet...of course...LOL )

Do you have links to their products?

And...I know what you mean about the starting. A friend has a CDI, has to start it with his stocker plugged in, warm it up...then plug the aftermarket one in.

Yeah, uh...no thanks. Kinda deletes the purpose of having a fun, RELIABLE trail bike...

400exrider707
02-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Heres contact info for GT Thunder, as far as TC Im not too sure...

G T Thunder

6748 TR 630

Millersburg, OH 44654

330-674-7122

330-674-2437 Fax

ls@gtthunder.com

Store hours: 10:00 - 5:00 Monday- Friday

Closed over lunch on Wed.

Closed: Sunday

For Yahoo Map

dajogejr
02-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I've been to their site, I was talking to one of their guys about re valving my shocks for my shee....

Thanks...will look into...

projectram
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
kinda off topic but where are you at in MI? I would help with the jetting but mine needs to be redone so ill be back where your at here in a couple months. I just need to have it done before silver lake opens.

02-19-2007, 02:15 PM
My mechanic who built my 416 said don't bother.

dajogejr
02-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by projectram
kinda off topic but where are you at in MI? I would help with the jetting but mine needs to be redone so ill be back where your at here in a couple months. I just need to have it done before silver lake opens.

St. Clair Shores...
I got plenty of time, got some shoes to switch out, axle and bearings to replace, then I'm changing oil, plug, etc....

Some minor stuff. In the process of building a frame up drag banshee, so...this bike is kinda secondary right now anyways!!!

I think I can nail this jetting down, just looking for a starting point. ALL of my buddies have 4 pokes, Hondas and Yamies....so, I've got a good support group....LOL.

Chukkinsod
09-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Whats going on! DJ, I had Tech Care Suspension in Pontiac set up my shocks, thed did a hell of a job were quick and cost effective. I took them there because they were close, they do all work in house too and can custom set up or transplant Guts. Ride with Morse and JP and B zeros. Been through the EX top to bottom and may have some items/ suggestions for you on. Get a hold of me, good to see you on here

DragonGunner
09-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Chukkinsod
Whats going on! DJ, I had Tech Care Suspension in Pontiac set up my shocks, thed did a hell of a job were quick and cost effective. I took them there because they were close, they do all work in house too and can custom set up or transplant Guts. Ride with Morse and JP and B zeros. Been through the EX top to bottom and may have some items/ suggestions for you on. Get a hold of me, good to see you on here

The OP doesn't appear to of made a post since this one in 2007....better late then never to say hi though....hope you can locate him.