PDA

View Full Version : Motor Rebuild

tkey0218
02-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey guys looking at doing a motor rebuild on my 03 400ex and was just wondering what all it consist of. As of right now it smokes like crazy...figure it is the rings. So what all do I need.....do they sell a rebuild kit anywhere if not what all do I need to get and best places to get it from? How much does it run? Is there any better ways in going about it? Do I need to have the block bored?
Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me....need to get this done it is almost time to start riding again!!

CDCHONDAS
02-19-2007, 05:39 AM
a general top end rebuild here consists of new piston kit (all piston parts), a good gasket set, new valve seals, and check and repair as needed the valves and seats. I normally just bore to the next oversize. That should fix your smoking.

02-19-2007, 06:11 AM
I'd suggest taking a serious look at getting the 416 kit.

When you buy the piston / ring kit, they'll give you boring specs.

Take the kit to a good machinist and he'll bore your cylinder.

And since you got it apart, think about putting a new Hotcam in there. I went with Stage II.

Total cost about $600.

tkey0218
02-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Where is the best place to get these kits?

northwest Texas
02-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Call Colby up at C&D in the sponsors section of the forums. Great guy to deal with and many of the things I've bought from him have been cheaper than the big companies.

02-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
Call Colby up at C&D in the sponsors section of the forums. Great guy to deal with and many of the things I've bought from him have been cheaper than the big companies.

Absolutely.

That's where I got mine.

He even put up with all my questions.

I'll definitely do business with him again.