PDA

View Full Version : 450 Kickstart Jammed Frozen HELP

hunterdasch
02-18-2007, 03:46 PM
I was kickstarting my 04 450 and it kicked fine the first few times and then the kickstart lever jammed at the top of its throw and now will not move.

It is freezing outside and we weren't able to bump start it yet. Any ideas?

Please Help!

desratt
02-18-2007, 03:52 PM
look for a crack on the back of the side casing. also did it kick back on ya before it happened

hunterdasch
02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
it didn't kick back any more than normal, or at least I didn't notice it.

Where should I look for this crack? I looked but didn't notice one.

Thanks! Please help!

sammy5x
02-18-2007, 04:20 PM
The same thing happened to me 2 hours before the Unadilla 2005 GNCC. The aluminum inner case that supports the inside portion of the kicker shaft got galled up and jammed up the kicker shaft. I had to carefully grind the back of the shaft slightly to allow more oil to penetrate the back side. I guess it has happened to a small amount of people. Hope this helps.

Sjorge450R
02-18-2007, 04:39 PM
maybe a bad crankcase bearing?

hunterdasch
02-19-2007, 05:04 AM
What should I do to check on this problem? Take the clutch cover off? Any more ideas?

Thanks

400exrider0004
02-19-2007, 05:28 PM
taking the clutch cover off isnt going to help. You will need to take your sidecase cover off and check everything over.

hunterdasch
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
should I try to bump start it before I take the cover off or can that cause more damage?

hunterdasch
02-21-2007, 05:18 AM
please help, what is my first step?

400exrider707
02-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Bump starting probably isn't going to work. Start by taking the case cover off. Once you do that your problem should be pretty evident.

the Z Man
02-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Something is jammed, the best thing you can do for now is put it in 2nd. gear and roll it back wards to unstick it, this happened to me and it freed up and has not done it since.. JMO and may save you alot of trouble tearing down.. Its worth a shot.

02-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Happend to me. What it was was a brocken fin on the clutch basket and it jammed. When i took the clutch cover off, the basket looked normal but after I took a couple discs out I could tell it was broke.

sammy5x
02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Lets simplify it all. Something has caused something else to stop moving. Forcing that part to move will only cause damage to something else. Even if you free up said part, you will not know what other damage has been done. The amount of time it has taken to discuss this is the same amount of time it would take to take a look inside the motor.

Listen man, it sounds like your a smart kid, so don't be afraid and tear that thing apart and fix it correctly the first time, because everything takes more time and money the second time around.

Get er done!

hunterdasch
02-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Although I agreed that I should tear it open and find out what is wrong.... I put it in second gear and rocked it back and forth, and HOLY SMOKE.... it came unstuck.

I kickstarted the bike 2 times and it did it again and made a strange noise.. I rocked the bike out of it again, and changed teh oil, filter, and tranny oil. They didn't have any metal shavings, although the tranny oil was a little lighter in color (maybe metallic in it?).

It starts like it should... I will ride it around the yard and report back....

Anyone have any ideas? Should I put a new clutch in it? The clutch was acting "grabby" when we last rode it... it applied power with a pulse from a stop but seemed fine in the other gears.

the Z Man
02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Holy Smoke!!!
Though it is not a good idea to free it and try again, some of us with little money try to find the cheapest way of fixing things.
When that happened to me, I was apprehensive but I have since raced it (2hour HareScrambles) 3 times and still no problems,
Glad I could help....:D

450 Racer R
02-23-2007, 07:42 AM
good luck with that. the same thing happened to me. i was able to free it up then i push started it and rode it out in the street and into the back of the truck. When i got to where i was going and unloaded it the same thing happened again but I wasn't able to free it up.

The big end rod bearing went bad and the motor was filled with all kinds of metal. I ended up replacing the whole bottom end along with a new oil cooler and lines, new oil pump, and new cylinder and piston. Good luck!

hunterdasch
02-27-2007, 07:32 AM
It Ran all day Saturday without any more problems, hope it stays that way. I am goin to put a clutch in it.

Thanks for the help

wvspeedfreak
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Hunterdasch,you need to empty your mailbox.I got your pm's but can't reply :p

hunterdasch
05-03-2007, 05:46 AM
word thanks!

Punk'd
05-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Same thing happened to me.. My rod bearing failed.

hunterdasch
05-05-2007, 12:43 PM
This quad is still running strong, but I sold it to my buddy and got a yfz. I hope the bearing doesn't go out, and he is about to tear it apart and rebuild it to race so I will post what happens.