PDA

View Full Version : Best choice for chain and sprocket combo

JDMThoughts
02-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I damaged my rear sprocket today due to my chain being a loose. I could hear a noise I wasn't sure about it, and sure enough 4 hours later the chain kept popping off the sprocket. So regardless I am going to redo the front sprocket which is 16T (came that way from previous owner) to a 15T and a new rear 38T. Unsure of which chain I should go with. Any recommendations? I have never done this before but it seems like an awful large amount of work to get the rear sprocket off and front sprocket.

Honda#4
02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
I have Primary Drive chain and sprockets and they work great.

northwest Texas
02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
It's not as much work as you think.

You'll have to take the left wheel off, not the hub, just the tire & wheel. Then it's the 4 bolts that hold the sprocket on. Front sprocket is just the two bolts.

Loosen everything up first before removing anything.

As for chains, pick your poison. If you want an inexpensive one many buy them. It's all up to you. As for brand name, well......I'll let the other guys chime in.

Whatever youdo, don't mix and match old/new. Worn sprockets will wear out a chain in no time and vice versa.

honda300EXtreme
02-17-2007, 04:49 PM
hey, i would get the renthal r-3 chain, i have it and its awsome, ive only had to adjust it 2 times in 1 year, its really good, but kinda expensive.

JDMThoughts
02-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok so one person recommends the Renthal chain..... anyone have anything nice to say about the D.I.D o-ring MX... that's what my local place said would be a very strong chain that won't require a lot of maintence.