PDA

View Full Version : tranny problems on 2000 400ex

fastyz85
02-17-2007, 02:21 PM
well on my quad it will shift fine from 1st to 3rd but then it is really hard to click into 4th and 5th. I'm guessing i need a new clutch and was wondering what parts should i need or should i just replace the whole thing. Also who makes some good aftermarket clutches. I know Hinson does but they are a little pricey and don't have that much cash right now. Do you think I can do this on my own or should i take it to my local honda dealership and have them install it. Sorrry for all the questions and thanks for whoever helps me out.

Piker450
02-17-2007, 04:16 PM
id say you have a bent shifting fork, not the clutch

fastyz85
02-17-2007, 04:24 PM
u mean the shift lever where my foot goes or a shift fork inside the clutch, because my shifter is not bent

fastyz85
02-18-2007, 09:31 AM
bump

hondaracer57
02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
if u dont wanna spend the money for hinson get OEM clutches with some HD springs....dont take too the shop if all u need are clutches its pretty easy too do. u will need a basic metric socket set u will have too buy a clutch side gasket new oil filter 3-4 quarts of oil (u need more oil cause u have too soak the clutches) OEM clutch kit its like 100 buck on ebay and HD springs i used barnett spring when i did mine...thats bout it...trust me OEM are really good clutches some ppl who have highly moded exs use them...

CDCHONDAS
02-18-2007, 01:22 PM
the actual shift forks are inside the cases and will need to be done by someone competent as its a decent sized project. Your problem sounds more shift fork related than clutch. because you should easily be able to shift without using the clutch.