PDA

View Full Version : 2006 450R Suspension Question

K400EX&A250EX
02-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I will soon have a few dollars to put into the front suspension on my son's '06 450R and wanted to ask for a little advice. Since I have limited funds, I have to decide between the following. I KNOW it would be best to do both...but I don't have the money to do so...so I would appreciate any input you have on the options that I CAN do. My son does not race...and rides mostly dunes...but he DOES ride the dunes HARD. He loves to jump and is on the verge of bending up the stock A-arms (I know this because some of his friends have already bent theirs and they all jump together). The main thing I'm looking for is a smoother ride in the dunes (especially on busy weekends when it is all rutted up), a little better turning, and a softer landing for those jumps.

Option 1

+2 A-Arms and Steel Brake Lines w/ Elka Triple Rate Dune Edition shocks (no resevoir and non adjustable).

Option 2

Stock A-arms and stock Brake Lines w/ Elka Triple Rate Dune Edition with resevoir and compression adjustment only. Will the Elkas make the landing softer than the stockers to help keep the stock A-arms from bending while jumping??

I guess the question boils down to which set-up do you feel would provide the best handling (based on my son's riding style above) for the limited funds that I have.

quad2xtreme
02-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Wider is better. Most people have zero need to adjust rebound...so this leaves you with compression. Elkas adjustments don't work well anyhow...Elka relies too heavily on the springs. Don't get me wrong, Elkas are pretty though. You can get a better shock for less money.

My advice on a limited budget is +2 a-arms and rebuilding the stock shocks.

Talk to Colby at C&D Racing. He rebuilds all the various models and can give you a rebuilders perspective. He knows the quality on the inside...versus what looks pretty on the outside.

/jon

roundsy
02-17-2007, 03:16 PM
yeah definately +2 std travel arms with shock rebuilds from c&d, gt thunder or santo derisi, that wont break your wallet as much as your first option yet should provide just as good if not better performance

BlaineKaiser450
02-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I would definatly go with the first one

quad2xtreme
02-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
I would definatly go with the first one

I would put up a set of rebuilt stock shocks against a set of Elka non-adjustable any day of the week.

I own adjustable Elkas. You can turn the screw all the way in or all the way out...doesn't make a bit of difference. I've had them rebuilt twice directly by Elka...not one bit of change except when I change the springs.

/Jon

Sjorge450R
02-18-2007, 09:05 AM
stock rebuilds from C&D, Derisi, or GT Thunder and then some +2 arms like houser. Dont forget the rear shock!!! MOst companys charge about 700 to respring,revalve the stock shocks (all 3)