PDA

View Full Version : Painted the head pipe

jleable
09-30-2002, 05:28 PM
I was tired of seeing rust on my head pipe so I took it off and lightly sand blasted it. Then I painted it with 1200 degree ceramic high temperature chrome paint. It looks pretty good. Then since I had it off I ground the welds off and polished them. I will post a pic soon.

bman's 02 300ex
09-30-2002, 06:07 PM
is the paint staying

Leo
09-30-2002, 06:10 PM
let us all know how the paint holds up.. I'd like to do something with mine but have been reluctant so far.

Leo

robsredride
09-30-2002, 06:13 PM
I did that with mine but used black paint. Painted it 3mos ago and it still looks like it did when it was painted.

jleable
09-30-2002, 07:17 PM
I havent had it on the machine yet but as for just sticking to the pipe it is perfect.

flaneledholes
09-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Sweet, take off the duck tape and slap'er on... It looks more silver/gray than chrome but thats probly cuz it has no clear on it, I dont mean to flame so I will shut up now... I would Like to PC the header on the Ol' 400, I would like it to be pink wit the sparkly's in it, my friend has his truck with it on it and to say the least, it is not too girly lookin...

Castor-426ex
09-30-2002, 07:21 PM
it looks good please keep us up to date on how well it holds up.....and..is that a single coat? details man..lol

jleable
09-30-2002, 07:22 PM
It actually looks alot brighter than it is in the picture. But I am just pumped about how good it turned out.

jleable
09-30-2002, 07:25 PM
I think I put on about 3 coats. The most important part was lightly sandblasting the pipe because it made the paint stick really good and it didn't run off at all. I'll have it on the machine tommarrow and I plan to do some hardcore riding this weekend and i'll let you know how it holds up.

redrider ex
09-30-2002, 08:03 PM
but your pipe was not rusting , the head pipes on the 400s are made of stainless steel and they won't rust , and they polish up very nice and they look like crome .

jleable
09-30-2002, 08:07 PM
there was some sort of surface rust/dirt what ever on the pipe. and it kept coming back so I got pissed off and painted it, but I am pretty sure it was rust, I think it started forming after I went through a **** load of water with it.

eldoexrider01
09-30-2002, 08:12 PM
yeah me and redrider ex are the stock head pipe playas round here. we got the cleanest head pipes. and all u pervs dont start thinkin stuff:D

Pappy
09-30-2002, 08:16 PM
looks great and it should hold up very well.....i do believe there is a high heat clear available to that would add durability also. good job:D

jleable
10-01-2002, 06:38 PM
I put the head pipe back on today and the paint started bubbling right away. I thought it was suppossed to be high temp up 1200 degrees. I guess I will just have to take it off and paint it muffler black.

Pappy
10-01-2002, 06:48 PM
THAT DOESNT MAKE A WHOLE LOTTA SENSE....ooppss...caps....anyway....did you follow all the steps in the directions?

redrider ex
10-01-2002, 07:02 PM
is because the pipe is stainless steel but if it was regular steel like the 300ex pipe it will work because mine has the shiny heat paint on it and its been on there for at least a year. And on my 400 pipe it is polished like crome.

Pappy
10-01-2002, 07:04 PM
its possible that the stainless would not let the paint adhere to it....was the pipe cleaned.....like wiped with alcohol or laquer thinner? just suggestions.

L.Vegas400
10-02-2002, 05:07 AM
how long did it take to polish your 400 pipe, what steps did you take and materials?

YLW400
10-02-2002, 06:12 AM
Thats a good question. Polishing would look cool. Probably takes forever though.

Zingnut
10-02-2002, 07:37 AM
I have had the same results with a similar paint. I bought my paint at Autozone and it says 1200 degree with Cermix or something to that. I had the muffler sandblasted and then I removed all dirt with and residue with alcohol not 75% but the good stuff the 99% alcohol. I painted it exactly as the directions said. I laid about 5 coats on it then cooked it in the oven for a few hours at the recommended heat setting. I rode mine a few nights ago down the roads around here and got home to find the paint had became very tacky and soft. I am going to run it one more time this weekend but then may have it blasted again and powdercoated.

Pappy
10-02-2002, 07:42 AM
i am ordering some of the stainless colored powder coating...the new high heat type that is available..i will be doing a stock pipe for taco for him to test out.....from what i understand it works well...although it doesnt provide any performance gains like the ceramic coatings.

YLW400
10-02-2002, 07:57 AM
Let Taco be the guinea pig:blah , If it works out well, I may give you a call if you would do it for me.

CBW
10-02-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 400ex127
i am ordering some of the stainless colored powder coating...the new high heat type that is available..i will be doing a stock pipe for taco for him to test out.....from what i understand it works well...although it doesnt provide any performance gains like the ceramic coatings.

It does work well........

i have done race car headers and it has stayed on even when the pipes glowed orange when the motor bought the farm and the water temp was 350.......

also i have done banshee pipes and they have been used under racing conditions and no flaking, peeling bubbles etc.......

the satinless grey is a dark color just so you know,,,,,,,if you want a silver tone get the silver powder.;) .......and its not cheap stuff:eek:

Pappy
10-02-2002, 08:02 AM
yeah i was shocked at the cost....but i geuss it would be a touch cheaper then ceramic...but if mine were being done i wouldnt chose the powder i would go with jet hot etc. thx for the tip on the color...just saved my wall a new dent:D

Razorback
10-02-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Zingnut
I have had the same results with a similar paint. I bought my paint at Autozone and it says 1200 degree with Cermix or something to that. I had the muffler sandblasted and then I removed all dirt with and residue with alcohol not 75% but the good stuff the 99% alcohol. I painted it exactly as the directions said. I laid about 5 coats on it then cooked it in the oven for a few hours at the recommended heat setting. I rode mine a few nights ago down the roads around here and got home to find the paint had became very tacky and soft. I am going to run it one more time this weekend but then may have it blasted again and powdercoated.

i, too had similar results with this stuff, although i painted my heat shield with it. now, i probably messed up, because the can said that the paint needs to cure for 5 days before any heat is applied, and i sure didn't wait 5 days. i gave up and ripped the paint back off. oh well, only if i knew how to powdercoat :D

redrider ex
10-02-2002, 09:49 AM
it took me about 1hr or so and it looks just like crome and i used a bench grinder with a buffing wheel on it and polish.

skemp
10-02-2002, 10:18 AM
That high heat paint isn't the best stuff around. It definitely can't stand up to the exhaust temps these things put out. I did mine a long ways back, and I put on 4 coats, baking for an hour in between coats at the recommended temperature, and I waited 5 days after the last coat. I bolted it up, started it, and it bubbled right off before I even rode it. Let's just say I wasn't too impressed after all the work... :grr

spincr4hire
10-02-2002, 11:05 AM
1200 degree paint is crap. Stop wasting time and get it PC'd.

Castor-426ex
10-02-2002, 11:12 AM
hey 400ex127 you ever laser temp the pipe on a hot 400? if so what kinda readings you get?

Pappy
10-02-2002, 11:42 AM
after a hard run the heatshield would register around 180 degrees....the head pie would be hottest at the point 2 inches from the cylinder and would reach 420 degrees....of course it may be a lil off...awful hard riding at 60 mph and leaning under to get the reading:eek: ;)

Castor-426ex
10-02-2002, 11:43 AM
lmao...true...

Pappy
10-02-2002, 11:46 AM
in comparison....with my computech thermometer mounted on all 8 pipes 1 1/4 inches out from the cylinder of my blown small block ford....1380 degrees was the hottest it got on a full pass. of couse it can get hotter if it got lean but thankfully it never did. the high temp paint will work....it has to be because the pipe is constructed of stainless steel.

Extremeracer167
10-02-2002, 11:51 AM
I put some some regular black high temp paint, and it holds up GREAT!!! But the only thing thats bad about it is when dirt hits it, it bakes in and it looks like crap. I want to find some good paint to do my headers, but i cant find anything that wont leave the dirt baked it!? Im tired of cleaning that rust looking crap off my exhaust!!

Pappy
10-02-2002, 11:52 AM
dont ride in the dirt then:huh i dont think any spray bomb is gonna last for long....it needs to be polished or jet hot coated or even powdercoted i believe:rolleyes:

L.Vegas400
10-02-2002, 02:11 PM
im gonna try the polishing thing. once i get it figured out ill start doing more parts.

Pappy
10-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Lvegas400....pm me yer addy....i keep gettin booted from the site and it isnt saving the pm's

L.Vegas400
10-02-2002, 02:15 PM
sent.

L.Vegas400
10-02-2002, 02:20 PM
yeah it needs somthing, just cant put my finger on it.;)

10-02-2002, 02:22 PM
somebody on here polished there stock header out to a nice shine,,but they said it only lasted a few rides and that they won't waste the time doin it again.. Sounds like ya need to polish it,,get lots of pics and then prepare to jack your work all up on the first ride out..:(

Extremeracer167
10-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Yeah i cant see it staying nice looking if u just polished it. I guess the only way to go so that it stays nice is getting the ceramic coating. My dads got a Big Gun on his KTM and that thing still looks new!! But i dont know of anyone that has the ability to put that ceramic coating on.......or if u even can on stainles!!!??

L.Vegas400
10-02-2002, 02:33 PM
well crap. i guess ill hone my skills on it then. when or more like if i get it done, i will take some pics and post them.

lil400exman
10-02-2002, 02:47 PM
what you gotta do is soak it in boiling maple syrup for 3hrs........then at 2:15am take it lik all of it off put it in the fridge heat up some wax give it a good waxxing(hot may i remind you) then take a peice of rag lay it on there and rip super polished headpipe....................:huh :blah ;) :eek: just take it to a machince shop in yur area and have them get it sent sandblased to be able have chrome adhere to it and they will sandblast then tell them dip it in chrome and a have a buffer use a buffer with 190 grit wet sandpaper and then a few hits of mothers and i sware i will be so slik it will be more slik than a used car dealers hair...........;) 2nd time was serious 1 st was a joke my bro in law helped with the 2nd one he owns a tool a jig and grind shop and a few other services-otjg is the name also i took a lathe and cleaned up my welds on it......it ready for glamis lookin good......:macho

Extremeracer167
10-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Yeah but i dont know of that many companyies that will dip a used pipe in there chrome tanks. Cuase one tiny little spec of dirt can completely contaminate a whole tank!! some companies prob. do, but the chrome might not be as good?

Pappy
10-02-2002, 02:55 PM
yeah ....i think you are stuck with the choices discussed earlier. if the powdercoating works it will be a big help...but i still think it would cost $50 or so if not a lil more, depending on the amount of powder required.

CBW
10-02-2002, 05:50 PM
The high temp powder is a high silicone content powder and therefore is a little more expensive and also the metal substrate bieng coated has to be degreased differently than conventional powdercoatings.......like using laquer thinner to clean the part after sandblasting,,,,,,not a phosphating solution. Also to prevent any cross contamination the gun should also be cleaned out after using the high temp powders.......or have a nother gun to use like i do......

just my 02 i guess

ChadEXer
10-02-2002, 06:00 PM
Im trying to figure out what to do to my motor to make it as nice as the rest of my bike????? i was thinking about painting the cylinder gloss black then polishing the outside of the fins, and polishing the rest of the motor???? What If I just painted the whole thing in that chrome paint????? What can I do to make the motor look good?????

bklyn400ex
10-02-2002, 08:50 PM
i have a question, i just got my WB r4 pipe in the mail, from the pictures that i saw of the pipe, i thought it would alot shinnier than it is, in the pictures it looked chrome, when i recieved it, it was very dull, is there any way to shine it up?? i tried mothers by hand and it didnt work

Extremeracer167
10-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Chad,
At my boss' shop, they do custom street bikes, and they do stuff like that ALL the time with cylinders. The best thing to do it paint it gloss black, and take it to a grinding wheel very quick and lightly. And it will give u silver edges with black cylinder. it looks SWEET as ****. Ill see if i can get u a picture. If u wouldnt mine, can i see a pic of your bike??

Extremeracer167
10-02-2002, 10:32 PM
I would stay away from that chrome paint!!! I tried it, and as soon as dirt touches it, no matter if its hot or not, it makes it look like @$$ I would say the coolest thing to do, is take a certain color that would look good on your bike, and make a few things stand out.....pipe guard, oil tank, stuff like that and make them all one color. Like on mine when i did my frame last year, i got it PC black and did alot of my other stuff in silver. It looked pretty cool. Just some options that i think would look pretty wild.

Now i just gotta worry about what color im gonna get my new frame and a-arms!!??

Chef
10-02-2002, 10:43 PM
hey chad,,,with your bike being white....i wonder what it would look like to do the head white and then get the air fins done black somehow...? Powdercoat the sidecases something cool, and i bet it would stand out. (The real reason i thought of this is that I wanna do my head black....lol)

CBW
10-03-2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Alky472
hey chad,,,with your bike being white....i wonder what it would look like to do the head white and then get the air fins done black somehow...? Powdercoat the sidecases something cool, and i bet it would stand out. (The real reason i thought of this is that I wanna do my head black....lol)

there is a website you can go to that has all sorts of colors for headpipes.........gets pricy,,,,,,,but what doesnt:p i was going to start doing that stuff but the demand here wansnt there......so oh well. click on exhaust coatings,,,,,,then bulk and shop only,,,,,,or something like that

www.techlinecoatings.com

CBW
10-03-2002, 06:03 AM
here is the CeramaWhite

ChadEXer
10-03-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
Chad,
At my boss' shop, they do custom street bikes, and they do stuff like that ALL the time with cylinders. The best thing to do it paint it gloss black, and take it to a grinding wheel very quick and lightly. And it will give u silver edges with black cylinder. it looks SWEET as ****. Ill see if i can get u a picture. If u wouldnt mine, can i see a pic of your bike??
Yeah ive seen a pic of that and it does look good,,,a lot of Harley guys are starting to do that!!!
Alky, what about black cylinder with red fins!! That would look good too!! Seems like that would be hard to do! Only thing is,,will painting the cylinder hold in more heat??????
Extreme, my bike isnt done yet but here are some high quality pics:D

ChadEXer
10-03-2002, 08:16 AM
!!

Extremeracer167
10-03-2002, 08:46 AM
SWEET! So u havent been able to ride for 7 months!!!??? I love toms stuff, but dang......thats a LOOONG time!! I dont think i would be able to take it. Of course i only live about 2 hours from him, i get my stuff next day usually:D

I was thinking of getting the 465 stroker for next year, but i rode one, and with me only weighing 150lbs. i cant keep the power to the ground. But my 425 needs a tad more in the fields......i dont know what to do, there really isnt anything else to do except go 440, but im def. not a fan of the 440 AT ALL!! But i wonder if tom makes a good 440? Any ideas?

ChadEXer
10-03-2002, 08:59 AM
Tom makes damned good 440!!! 7 months has been a long time but almost all the good engine builders are that far behind!! i talked to Curtis Sparks yesterday and he is 11 months out right now!!!!!

465Stroker
10-03-2002, 09:01 AM
I have used the 1200 degree paint (plasti-cote - sp??) with good success in the past. One part most people miss is the directions on the can tell you what to clean the surface with - but most importantly they want you to bake the paint in an oven for around 4 hours to cure the paint?? The length of bake and amount of heat applied will determine how much resistance to heat it will have. Check it out, maybe that is why your paint started to bubble on ya.
RC

Extremeracer167
10-03-2002, 09:02 AM
See thats the good thing, i do all my engine work myself. With the help of a few guys in the Open A class. Ill have to check into that 440 kit. I just have never been a fan of them. ANd the stroker kit just spins with my scrawny arse on it! My 425 runs GREAT, and in the fields at hig point i really only got COMPLETELY outpowerd in the fields was buy a cannondale. But i was workin that thing HARD in the fields to run that hard!