PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Upgrade

SteveWR450F
02-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Trying to increase ground clearance on 04 TRX EX quad. Ride in rocky rooty single track. NW = some mud too.

Rear skid plate sometimes hits. Dont want to too spend too much money but after reading some posts was thinking of this:

- 450 used front shocks (heard that lowers by 1 inch?)
- Front tires 23 inch. (Somebody recommended 23X7X10 - would that mount ok on stock rim?)
- Rear tires 22 inch (Same question - someone recommended 22X11X9).

Leaning towards Holeshot HD or Kenda Klaws.

Also thought I would drop front sprocket by one tooth (go to 14) to keep about the same gearing. Want bike to tractor slowly up hill climbs if needed.

So I am thinking about this right? For the money to I need to consider other options: To get more ground clearance do I just need to increase size of rims or get different suspension with more travel. (Elka?) Thanks for your help, Steve

northwest Texas
02-17-2007, 06:42 AM
different sized rims won't affect anything. It's the first # in the tire size that tells you the height of the tire. To go to a 22 from a 20" rear will give you 1" of additional skid plate clearance intheory.

A 23x7x10 will fit your stock rims as your stock tire size is 22x7x10. The 10 is rim diamater A 22x11x9 will fit on the stock rear too as it's a 9 as well. You can fudge a little bit with the width.

For general trail riding I'd recommend Maxxis All Trak's. Have a set on my 4wd as well as my EX and I really wish they came in a 20" or I'd still be running them (giving up on the 23F/22R comb.) They are a very good do everything tire.

I'd consider any other shock but Elka. Their track record is worse than any other as you'll see more complaints from guys with their shocks (me included) than you will of all theothers combined. I just got Works G Series fronts for less than $430 for my b-i-l.

One tooth smaller on the front will get you close, you're on the right track. Gotta look on my other computer and I could tell you exactly.

Also, different suspension won't increase your ground clearance either. Just make it much easier and more comfortable to ride (worth the money)

hornetgod13
02-17-2007, 09:00 AM
2005 and UP stock sprockets are 14 Front 39 Rear. Since your girlfriend's quad is a 2005 than you will have to install a 13 tooth front sprocket to get better low end torque for hill climbing and rough trail riding. If you do decide to install a smaller front sprocket, ensure you buy one specifically for a 2005 and UP because the gear splines are different from those on a 1999 to 2004 400EX.

SteveWR450F
02-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys. Good info. Steve