PDA

View Full Version : wont start in gear

400excaleb
02-16-2007, 08:20 PM
i got a 200 400ex and it wont start in gear, only in neutral.
i got the 2 wires disconnected from the clutch, and are tied together, so what else could it be

SandNut777
02-16-2007, 08:28 PM
You got aftermarket clutch didnt you the switch is the key, are you just now haveing the problem or was it just after you changed the clutch. Make sure you have the wires spliced together well with a wire nut or butt splice, then maybe your problem will be solved.By the way what kind of clutch perch did you get.

400excaleb
02-16-2007, 08:36 PM
no aftermarket clutch purch, it has the factory one, it always worked until i got it back from gettin a 416 kit in it, after that it never started in gear.

JOEX
02-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Could it be the green wire near the front sprocket? I know it's part of the system but not sure what the effects are if it's not well connected.

SandNut777
02-16-2007, 08:40 PM
The switch that connects to the clutch perch is not working properly if you take the switch off you should be able to press it and the neutral light should come on, if not you have a bad switch or a bad wire going to the switch.check it out and get back to me.

JOEX
02-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by SandNut777
The switch that connects to the clutch perch is not working properly if you take the switch off you should be able to press it and the neutral light should come on, if not you have a bad switch or a bad wire going to the switch.check it out and get back to me.
He stated the wires were disconnected and wired together. Does switch still have an effect with the system?

blasterandy
02-16-2007, 08:47 PM
No if they are spliced together correctly then the switch doesn't have an effect. Check the wires running from it for a ground, also if the switch is pressed in it shouldn't cut the neutral light on. The only way to know is to try and start it.
just my .02

SandNut777
02-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Me again
If you follow those wires back they go back by the battery somewhere there are plug connectors that those wires together. Check and make sure all of those plugs are pluged in properly. Look for broken wires or wires that are rubbed through the insullation.

400excaleb
02-16-2007, 09:01 PM
i never said anything about the neutral light coming on

i got the two wires connevted to each other. when i try to start in gear it wont do it, shift to neutral and it starts right up

SandNut777
02-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by 400excaleb
i never said anything about the neutral light coming on

i got the two wires connevted to each other. when i try to start in gear it wont do it, shift to neutral and it starts right up

Sorry my bad it should start in gear with the clutch pulled in or not pulled in if those wires are together. If it doesnt you have a wiring problem. check the wire plugs in the back.

blasterandy
02-17-2007, 03:51 PM
wasnt talking to you about the neutral light(was talking about sandnuts previous post.) anyways check the wires for worn or grounded spots like i said before.
:D
Sry i couldn't be of more help.

400excaleb
02-18-2007, 04:18 PM
ok i check all the wireing and plugs and let u no

TYTE440
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Mine just started doing this also, you ever get it figured out?

440ex. ehhh!!
05-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Just live with it. mine does the same thing. i know honda's have been known for having difficulty shifting into neutral but it isn't THAT hard to shift one gear to push the start button.

aDviSol2y
05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
Just live with it. mine does the same thing. i know honda's have been known for having difficulty shifting into neutral but it isn't THAT hard to shift one gear to push the start button.

Thats just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard..... My guess is when your exhaust starts spitting out blue smoke, you are just going to live with it. Wiring problems can cause major issues down the road. Trace all your wiring, and if you need to, get a book with a wiring diagram. My guess is when you had the kit put in it, the put it back together wrong, or forgot to hook something up.

TYTE440
05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Yah its kinda crappy to have to put it in neutral say if you are hill climbing and kill it on accident. I would like to fix it, it does it off and on it seams.

Thanks!

440ex. ehhh!!
05-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Thats just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard..... My guess is when your exhaust starts spitting out blue smoke, you are just going to live with it. Wiring problems can cause major issues down the road. Trace all your wiring, and if you need to, get a book with a wiring diagram. My guess is when you had the kit put in it, the put it back together wrong, or forgot to hook something up.

oh yes. because that is going to make it burn oil. and yes, mine burns oil for the first minute until it warms up. changing the rings and valves seals, and what ever else need be at the end of summer. And YEA i am living with it.

TYTE440
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Lol!

aDviSol2y
05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
oh yes. because that is going to make it burn oil. and yes, mine burns oil for the first minute until it warms up. changing the rings and valves seals, and what ever else need be at the end of summer. And YEA i am living with it.

I wasn't saying that electrical problems will make your bike burn oil. I was giving an example of how dumb your comment was. Basically you were saying screw fixing your bike, run it till it goes.

440ex. ehhh!!
05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
I wasn't saying that electrical problems will make your bike burn oil. I was giving an example of how dumb your comment was. Basically you were saying screw fixing your bike, run it till it goes.

not at all. i was saying big deal, just shift up a gear, BECAUSE not being able to start in gear will not do any damage or ruin it.
"run it till it goes" is far off of how i maintain my 440ex. if something is potentially damaging then go ahead and fix it, but if not, don't bother.

aDviSol2y
05-25-2010, 01:57 PM
changing the rings and valves seals, and what ever else need be at the end of summer. And YEA i am living with it.

"run it till it goes" is far off of how i maintain my 440ex. if something is potentially damaging then go ahead and fix it, but if not, don't bother.

:confused:

I forgot, rings are not a vital part of your motor.....

440ex. ehhh!!
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
:confused:

I forgot, rings are not a vital part of your motor.....

Knew you would say somethin bout that. and yes, they are. but i am not going to tear apart my whole bike in the middle of summer to do that, when i can run it and have fun on it. not like it is doing much anyway. its fine after the first minute. it only burns oil when it is cool, and it takes about a week of sitting, for it to burn oil./