PDA

View Full Version : Help! Broken Clutch Basket. How to hold clutch center nut.

kalebarellano
02-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Ok, I changed my cam chain tonight. I got the gear nut on. And I was torquing the clutch basket center nut, and using a couple wrenches to hold center thing. And as I was rounding about 50ft lbs, SNAP! Piece of the clutch basket broke. My friend has one, I think, so that shouldn't be a problem. But how do I get the clutch center nut tight without breaking another clutch basket?

Also should I get a new clutch kit, since the basket my friend has is brand new? Is it bad to put old discs in a new basket.

Please help asap.

Thanks

kalebarellano
02-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Ok, I got the clutch basket. It is a brand new performance engineering. Should I get new plates as well? Also how do I attach the sprocket to the new clutch basket? Looks like rivets or something pressed in or something.

Thanks

yamahamx14
02-16-2007, 08:01 PM
if u have it all apart you might as well get the new plates and springs

kalebarellano
02-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Ok, I think I will go ahead and order a tusk kit.

How can I get that sprocket from the back of the basket onto my new basket? It looks like rivets or something?

JOEX
02-16-2007, 08:23 PM
An impact wrench works great for this type of procedure. Honda makes a special tool for this too but it probably costs a few $$.

Replacing the plates and fibers may or may not be necessary but HD springs are a nice addition.

SandNut777
02-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Check the plates out if they still have all the stock marks on them and they are not burnt or worn down, use the same plates they will be fine.and as far as the bolts snug plus a little torq is all you need. Why did you take it apart in the first place? Just asking . good luck.

kalebarellano
02-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Could I just get on it with an impact wrench and not torque it? Would it be ok? How much and were can I get the tool?

Thanks

blasterandy
02-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Any hardware store. You obviously need an air comp. or you can get one of those cheesy electric ones. I am lucky enough to have pretty much a full working garage in my house. No an impact wrench is not needed i would use a torque if i didn't have one. Also if you get a air comp (make sure it is a full duty with at least 15 CFM for optimal performance.) and imp wrench(don't skimp on the 35$ one from lowes they suck and are prone to breaking) Best bet is to buy a package deal witha die grinder impact ratchet(these are very helpful) air hammer and imp wrench

SandNut777
02-16-2007, 09:00 PM
They can be a little pricey like joe said I think you can do it with out it though, when you took all the spring bolts out it didnt take a whole lot of hand torq to do it. so put it back together the same way. Tighten all the spring bolts down evenly alternating pattern then give them a little somthin somthin at the end. If you are really worried about the torq specs get a manual and a torq wrench and do it to specs. Home Depot or Lowes might have the wrench in question.I did mine 3 months ago and have not had a problem.

kalebarellano
02-16-2007, 09:05 PM
I was asking were to get a clutch holder. My friend has an impact wrench. Should I just use that? I have a torque wrench, but I dont have the honda clutch holder.

Also I am missing the bolts to bolt the sprocket to the back of the clutch basket. Can I just get some bolts from the hardware store? Or do they need to be special?

Thanks

SandNut777
02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by kalebarellano
I was asking were to get a clutch holder. My friend has an impact wrench. Should I just use that? I have a torque wrench, but I dont have the honda clutch holder.

Also I am missing the bolts to bolt the sprocket to the back of the clutch basket. Can I just get some bolts from the hardware store? Or do they need to be special?

Thanks

Look at the top of the bolts they will have lines in a triangle pattern 1 line 2 lines or 3

l
/ \

Kinda like this that tells you what tensul strength the bolts is match them up and you will be fine . I think the more lines the higher strength.

JOEX
02-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by kalebarellano

Thanks
I suppose the Honda holder is only available through a Honda dealer. An impact wrench will work just fine, that's what I used a few times holding the basket with a my hand and a shop rag.

I don't know much about the sprocket bolts other than make sure the threads and length are correct too.

kalebarellano
02-16-2007, 09:23 PM
There are rivets holding the stock basket to sprocket. So I dont know what strength I would need? I sent an email to the company that made the basket.

Should I just use the impact wrench to tighten the clutch basket back on? Or is that bad cause I will not know the torque?

Thanks

kalebarellano
02-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Should I just use the impact wrench to tighten the clutch basket back on? Or is that bad cause I will not know the torque?

I was typing the question while you were entering the answer. That should make the install easier.

I cant believe that stock basket broke like that. I will get you all some pics.

JOEX
02-16-2007, 09:33 PM
It's also recommended to replace the locknut, the nut that holds the basket in place. Not sure how many really do though...

If the impact wrench can easily get to 80 ft #'s it should be fine.

kalebarellano
02-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Thats the thing, I dont know how much torque the impact wrench puts out. I know it can undo a dirtbike steering stem, dunno how much that takes.

kalebarellano
02-17-2007, 09:16 AM
How can I secure the new clutch basket to the sprocket? There are threads in the three holes for the sprocket to mount to. So I am guessing they replace the rivets with bolts of some kind. Do you think that the bolt just go into those threads? Or does the bolt maybe thread through the hole and then a nut is put on to lock it on?

If it is just bolts I may try to get some around town.

Let me know what you all think.

kalebarellano
02-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I think I can get some of the original bolts. I find out for sure monday.

Thanks

kalebarellano
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I talked to the company, and they are gonna sell me some of the original bolts.

Here are some pics:

Here is the broken basket (thats a bad sight)

kalebarellano
02-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Here is the new basket. Is there supposed to be an offset slot for the top disc like the stock one? I figured it is just different, but I thought I would double check.

kalebarellano
02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
So how should I tighten the center nut this time? Should I use an impact wrench? Or no, cause I will not know how much torque was supplied?

Let me know.

Thanks

Black R/T
02-22-2007, 01:29 PM
i replied to another thread with these same pics and info. since the basket company is going to send you the bolts, just apply red loctite and then peen the bolts. peening is a process in which you use a hammer and a punch to ding the threads and surrounding metal on the end of the bolt so that it CANNOT back itself out. maybe the loctite isnt necessary but im from the "cant have too much school" so there, hope this helps.

Black R/T
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
heres another pic, and not much torque is needed on the bolts that hold the basket to the gear. ask the company you got your basket from how much they recommend

Black R/T
02-22-2007, 01:32 PM
oh yea, and you have to drill the rivets out of the old basket. use a drill press if you can, it will save you alot of time.