PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Motor Ticks

Rusty91o
02-16-2007, 04:03 PM
My 1997 300 EX has a ticking noise coming from the top end. It's actually more of a clicking noise. It can't be a valve or piston related problem because the quad runs absolutely fine, even in high RPMs, and it isn't a knocking, only a clicking. I also just had the entire head serviced. I figured it was the rocker arms clickong the valves due to too much clearance, but I checked it twice now, and they are perfectly to factory spec. But somebody did mention to me that the rocker arms could be loose and could be tapping the top of ther valve cover. I'm just not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

honda300EXtreme
02-16-2007, 04:52 PM
could be the timing chain, the tensioner might be shot,

just a possiblility

m.h.s.c.#527
02-16-2007, 05:47 PM
i just picked my 250 up from the shop it was the cam chain tensioner so i would take it and have them check that

Rusty91o
02-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Hmm, ya know I had somebody else tell me that too. How does it make the ticking? But that has got to be it.

Sjorge450R
02-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Rusty91o
Hmm, ya know I had somebody else tell me that too. How does it make the ticking? But that has got to be it.

the spring could be worn out and be flopping around...thats how it could do it.

Rusty91o
02-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Wierd. Because It's pretty loud too. You can hear it over the quad itself. I don't have my pipe on yet, but come\ing down the street you hear the clicking over the motor itself. But I'll have to look into it when I get a chance. I bet that's it then.

Sjorge450R
02-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Rusty91o
Wierd. Because It's pretty loud too. You can hear it over the quad itself. I don't have my pipe on yet, but come\ing down the street you hear the clicking over the motor itself. But I'll have to look into it when I get a chance. I bet that's it then.

your riding without a pipe?

Kurly154
02-19-2007, 10:49 AM
My 250x was clicking. I toke the valve cover off and the cam sprocket bolts had backed out and were hitting the side of the head. I would check those bolts.

250X_project
02-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I had two 250X wheelers. Both ticked. I think there are more that tick than those that don't! :rolleyes:

The tensioner will cause it to tick because it lets the cam chain have slack acting like it is stretched and so it moves around making noise. This, of coarse, means it could also be the chain itself.

Rusty91o
02-21-2007, 10:56 PM
That makes sense. The chain was tight though. But maybe I'm mistaken. And the bolts to the cam sprocket should be good, but that will be an obvious if it's not all in check. I'm just going to have to wait to take it apart. Weather here has been a little wet. And yes, I am riding without a pipe. The pipe that came with my EX was a DG Accelerator pipe. It won't reach the rest of the pipe though. It bolts up correctly but is short by about an inch and a half. But the guy I got it from says he had it on. I'm not sure, I was just gonna see if I could fashion another piece of pipe on.

kyleschonert
02-25-2007, 04:54 PM
What compression are you running? And what Octane fuel? Does it feel like it bogs or anything like that when you are riding it? Kind of like you would be feathering the clutch and making it "bounce" It could be detonation, that's what happened to mine.